1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What do your friends think about your dolls?

Jul 14, 2009

1. I thought that no one in my school was into BJDs, then one day I started talking to a girl who was my best friend when we were five years old, but I hadn't talked to her in about twelve years. We started talking and it turned out she was looking into buying them, but couldn't afford one. We're now best friends again and both going to be ordering our first BJDs really soon. As for my other friends they think it's weird to still be playing with dolls but I don't care. It's something I think is beautiful and I'm not going to let other people ruin it.

2. Most of my friends really like my dolls. I have quite a few that would love to save up money and get one of their own one day.
      I even have a guy friend that will hold my dolls if I hand one to him, even in public. Its no secret that I love my dollies and my friends are great people that respect that and even show an interest in it because it is something I like. :D

3. I've gotten two friends into dolls and everyone else thinks their awesome or creepy (yet still awesome). I've brought them to school and was known as "the creepy doll girl", my bf's hockey team call them my lucky voodoo dolls (as they always seem to win when the dolls are around. Only one of my bosses at work can't stand to see them, haha.
      My mum likes them, just not the price. All my other friends think their neat.

4. One of my friends insists they are all girls and that I should sell them to get money to buy other things. It really sucks when I've put so much work into their characters and styling. I'd like to think some of my guys are very masculine.

5. I haven't purchased a BJD yet (soon!) but I get mixed reactions. Some people I know like them, others don't. My best friend had one. For the most part people are indifferent. My husband is my biggest opponent. I have a Miku Hatsune Pullip and he doesn't like her. Says she "freaks him out" and he "doesn't understand why you need to spend so much on a doll that's just going to sit there and not do anything." I reminded him the other day that he has hobbies I don't understand or like (he collects pocket knifes. You can't really carry more then one at a time without looking like a crazy weirdo anyways!) and he sorta understood my point. I showed him a pic of the one I'm currently thinking about last night and he said "well she's not too bad..." He knows it's something I like and that I'll get one eventually, but it is a bit disheartening for someone I love to blatantly dislike something I'm fond of...

6. They try to make fun of me but it doesn't really bother me anymore. Some of them are into electronics, some are into cars. I just happen to be into dolls.

7. My friends think I'm a Crazy Doll Lady, but then they're all freaks & geeks themselves, so none of us can really throw stones in earnest. We're mostly all in our 40s, when you're supposed to develop eccentric hobbies and interests to go with your midlife crisis, anyway... and we were all eccentric to begin with. Many of us are used to spending odd amounts of money on odd esoteric things that most people don't understand are extremely cool. :XD:

But a great number of my good friends are also doll-people-- so it's easy enough to keep the doll-talk for the doll-people, & talk non-doll interests with the non-doll friends.

8. I have different reactions.
      Some of my friends are very scared of my boy, that is, until i tell them to touch his hair. xD
      Then they're totally in love with how soft it is, forgetting how much they fear him.

Some friends just think I'm weird, they try hiding it but it's very clear, you know? I feel bad, almost as if I'm disappointing them sometimes with how I want to collect dolls, but then I have to remember BJDs make me happy.

BUT THEN
      I have some friends who adore him, they love everything I do with him, and even want to get a doll of their own. <3 Makes me feel happy!

9. My husband was indifferent (as long as it makes you happy he always says) but when i got an off-topic doll that came with a smaller freebie doll(also off topic) he asked if he could have the smaller one. he thought that it was kind of neat. so maybe when u get the one u want he may like it a little more. Just takes warming up sometimes.

10. I currently don't have a doll (fingers crossed for after the holidays!) but they all know I'm interested in it and they're just totally weirded out xD.
      Even my mother! (although she supports me wholeheartedly). I've always been the weirdo of my "friends" but I think I've taken it to a whole new level xD. I used to have 20+ boring old porcelain dolls and that weirded them out,s o they're sad that I'm starting with dolls again. I actually had one stop talking to me, though I think that was for a different reason just coincidentally happening at this time ... xD Meh, who needs them ^_~

11. My friends like bjds...they aren't extremely interested in them as far as I can tell though.
      My mother would totally own a bjd if the had more free-time I'm sure.

12. They always couldn&#8216;t understand why i spend so much time with bjds.

13. The friends who know about my one BJD just said "she's so pretty" and "she's hot!" and that's good enough for me :P

One of my ex-girlfriends actually hid all her dolls the first times I was in her room so they would't freak me out, can't imagine what she'd say about mine now...

14. I've had friends think my girl was creepy. I dunno why, she's such a cutie. They also can't fathom why I would pay $300 + for a "barbie". I just tell them that I don't understand how they could buy $500 bags when they can get the same thing for $30 bucks. My sister loves my doll and is even considering one for herself or her daughter. My boyfriend likes her but is scared to handle her. I think he's afraid of hurting her in some way. If he does handle her he's very gentle.

15. I have one friend that I met through my new job.... we bonded instantly over Blythe dolls. So when I told her I also have some abjd's, she kinda knew what I was talking about. When we went to a local doll show together, I brought my Shushu so I could try wigs/ shoes on her. For the record, she likes my Soulkid Linn better than my minifee Shushu. But basically I'm just happy to have a friend that's so open minded that I can talk dolls with as well as important stuff too. It's fun, and I've never had a friend who also likes the same types of dolls as I do before. On a much bigger thought: Hobbies can take you halfway across the world, bond you with people you would have never thought to strike up a conversation with. But then I always strive to find things in common with people, and when I do I'm just amazed and grateful. It makes me think there are way more kind people in this world than mean ones. So even if you don't initially have friends in this hobby, don't worry about it, just be yourself and the right friends will show up in good time. : )

16. My friends sorta know that I have a doll but they don't really understand it and I don't plan on explaining it to them. I only feel like I can talk about her to a few people I know online and people I know from meets. But I normally keep her away from IRL family and friends just so nothing awkward happens.

17. I wish I had a BJD to see their reaction. But here's something that happened at a comic convention I went with my friend last year:
      I saw a few BJDs that were displayed by their owners at their stalls and I loved it. The sculpt was beautiful, The clothes were beautiful.....(you get the point)
      My friend took one look at them and said:" They're scary."
      I looked at her in disbelief and she kept insisting they were scary. In the end, I was like:"OKAY, OKAY, They're scary.I get it."
      I felt so bad when I thought what the stall keeper reaction was since we were standing right in front of her.
      Sorry to the shop keeper. I really love the dolls

18. I have friends who also are into BJD, and of those who aren't into BJD there's just two who know about my interest and my doll. Both of thme think she's adorable, and don't really think anything at all except that. They would never buy a doll themselves.

19. It's an even split between 'holy shizznet that is creepy' and 'wow, pretty neat'

20. I don't think most of my friends care one way or the other - they're just not something that comes up in conversation very often (the exception being with other doll or toy collectors).

If I have guests who see the doll shelves in my office and/or bedroom they'll sometimes comment on the size (the bulk of my dolls are SD-sized and larger) or the cost (primarily because my husband has the habit of commenting on it if he's giving someone a tour of the house), but that's all fairly neutral. I think in general most people genuinely don't care much about each others non-shared hobbies.