1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What doll got you into the hobby?

Mar 11, 2021

1. Oh my god the 15-year-old Photobucket images are still live... I got to carry my sister's project doll around Otakon one year, a Delf head on a DD1 body. She was very sleepy-looking and I thought she was cute despite my previous impression of dolls-are-creepy. Online... I think I was most interested in Dollshe via Tensiya, because Anu's craftsmanship and photography were so beautiful.

2. I collected/Collect Anime Figures and saw a BJD and thought it was a kind of Figure. HA (noob!). Also I've been playing the Sims since the very first game ever and I like being able to have a sim I can customize and change looks etc. So for me it is like "real life" sims. (to a point of course... :) )

3. I don’t remember how exactly, but I came across some pictures of the Ringdoll White Rabbit and absolutely fell in love.
      I wasn’t able to get him as a fullset since those had been limited, but I have been able to find some other outfits and dolls that I love as well.

4. Volks Unoss Aika! I was a huge fan of Milkshake Melody who customized 1/6 Dollfies, and while I knew about SDs, I was never impressed until I saw her Aika. Then I began researching and fell hard for Dream of Doll Shall.

5. The first bjd sculpt I saw was the first one, Volks Four Sisters. It was Megu in a kimono set shown at the back of the Dolpa File from 1999. I was collecting Volks 1/6th at the time.

I kept following the Volks releases for a little while and really liked both Lucas and and Cecile. It was just so difficult to buy from Japan at the time that it seemed impossible and I stopped looking at them for a couple of years.

The first doll that tipped me from looking to owning was Dollshe's SA Bermann. I literally saw him for the first time, stood up, knocking over my chair, and said to my partner, "I need to sell things, I want this doll."

I had really wanted the Tensiya Shinsengumi version and I quickly found one on Ebay but I lost the auction to another member here. Shortly after, I found someone on the Yahoo group Hound Calling selling an SA Valentino version and I went for him instead. That was in late 2005? or early 2006? and he's been here ever since.

@mustbemissa I used to love Milkshake Melody!

6. For me it was Lillycat and Twiggling. I looked and looked but I kept finding myself really loving both doll artist dolls. I have not turned back since. :D

7. Mine was Little Monica Dyuke, I saw pictures of him online and loved his face, I am lucky he’s already here with me :dance since then I’ve found a number of dolls I absolutely love and buying different wigs and clothing has really made me love this hobby so much :love

8. Volks old F-28 (current F-16) was the one I first saw and fell for and I did eventually get him, lost interest, and sold him. But the one that stole my heart and made me cry from his beauty was Angel of Dream Chen (the first version, not the current one) and he ended up being my first doll.

9. A friend introduced me to bjds. The first ones I really fell for were the Limwha Luna and Mano. I also loved Bermann. Don't have any of them, but I have plenty of resin family!

10. The first BJD I ever saw was one of the Dream of Doll msds (I don't remember which one), it piqued my interest enough to do some looking around and I eventually found myself on the old Luts website. They used to sell Dollshe sculpts back then, and the one that really got to me was Van. I was very young and broke then, but I made it a goal of mine to get him one day!

11. VOLKS F-01 was the one for me and to answer your questions, yes I own her. I actually love F-01 so much that my entire collection consists on only F-01 in different forms.

12. I don't actually know what doll it was, because the owner refused to tell me anything and walked away.
      But at least I knew that dolls that looked like giant anime figures existed. A year later I finally found out what they were and started searching. I still never would have bought any if I hadn't found Dollmore's Kara Klum, which is the doll I give credit to for getting me in the hobby, and was also my first doll.

13. I was first introduced to BJDs in 2003 with some of those early Volks SD dolls. I didn't really care much for most of the early Volks sculpts until they released the Heath sculpt in 2005. I knew I wanted a BJD after seeing him. Then a year later in 2006, I was at a summer camp and two other girls brought their MSDs to camp. I didn't know they were MSD size at the time, but I might have gotten too excited seeing BJDs in person.:lol: I want to say they were Luts Kid Delf sculpts, because they looked a lot different than the Volks BJDs that I was used to seeing at the time. So I would say Volks Heath and those two MSD dolls were what really got me into the hobby.

14. I used to sort of work for an anime bookstore back when I first started college back in 2007. We had a booth at AnimeExpo that year and I helped monitor the booth. I saw a few people walking around carrying these gorgeous dolls. I'm pretty sure the first one I saw and asked about was a Volks doll dressed in lolita (may have been Nana??? I honestly can't remember, it was so long ago. Definitely one of the original sisters). I was instantly in love. I did some research and saw Soom Sard and I was obsessed with him but he was already sold out. I got my first one, DollZone Hid, the next year and have been collecting ever since :)

So Volks Nana and Soom Sard were the start of my obsession :lol:

15. The first BJD I ever saw that I loved was the Popovy Sisters. I cant remember which girl specifically (maybe Landy?) but their dolls made me look into BJD's more. Hands down, the doll that got me into the hobby was Dust of Dolls Appi Coti. she had the cutest most pouty face I had ever seen. And their dolls are just stunning... unfortunately Coti made me realize that pre-orders existed and they arent forever available c: so I got Kore <3

16. I wanted a Chii forever! I collected some anime fashion dolls and other toys over the years, but just got into BJDs, prices and plushie addiction kept me out a while.

17. The first one to really make me fall in love was an Iplehouse Ryushin I saw on DeviantArt. I don't have one; I couldn't afford a doll for a while even after deciding I wanted one and he was discontinued before I managed it. But my first doll, Dream of Doll Si, still holds a beloved place in my collection.

18. Had to comb through my embarrassing old LiveJournal posts for this one, oh man. I think it must have been the first time I saw a Volks Nana on Aimee's website in like... 2009? In 2010, my family took a trip to California, and I got to visit the Tenshi-no-Sumika in Anaheim- it was all over from there, haha. 10 years later, I have my first Volks doll, a Yo-Tenshi Yuki. It was fun looking through old websites and thinking about this. :daisy

19. I honestly think everyone could fall in love with this hobby, it just takes that right doll. (A coworker of mine felt the same was as OP, until she realized Anubis BJDs were a thing..now she is forever in-hunt for the perfect one Lol)

The girl I fell in love with that got me interested in BJDs was LUTS Kid Delf Ani. I have been a die-hard LUTS fan ever since. Once I browsed the website though, Muhwa stole my heart (sorry, Ani!) Muhwa was my first doll sculpt purchase. <3

20. Not gonna tag/quote everyone on this reply but I just want y'all to know that I look up every doll that's mentioned in this thread! It's fascinating to see what sculpts different people love. :hug: