1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What doll got you into the hobby?

Mar 11, 2021

1. I remenber I discovered bjd in 2004, when I was pregnant. I saw the Shall. I decided to have. But I had no one before 2013, and it was a Pukifee, because of size.

2. I first saw the Camine from Dream of Dolls, which sparked my interest.

Years later, I entered the hobby after discovering Yael from Maskcatdoll.

3. Yes! Angell Studio The White Doe - I saw a photo of her on social media, and it was love at first sight. I ordered the full set last year, and I received her last week. I am absolutely thrilled! Congrats on Yumeo - such a wonderful doll!
      [​IMG]

4. One specific doll didn't bring me into the hobby, at least as an observer, because i usually just saw pictures of them on deviantart and gaia (lol.) Back in 2006-2007. But the first one to make me finally open my wallet and jump in to own one was Kiwi? from luts.

[​IMG]

I also no longer have her. I traded her years ago.

5. Omigawd, yes! Haute Doll magazine was what first introduced me to BJDs and I believe it was a combination of the Volks Yukinojo (original version) and Nobility Doll LIE promo pics that made me yearn for them. Of course, Dollshe's were all the rage back then so I'm probably in the same age group as you. *high fives*:dance I remember going back to Barnes & Nobles like every month or so seeing if they had the latest edition because that magazine has some really good articles in it and even some amazing photo stories too. Got one of my best friends into it too and she discovered DoA for us. It was fun looking at the magazines with her and dreaming when we would have our first BJDs. *sighs* Total nostalgia!

6. I first found out about bjds through a suggested video, this was ages ago so I might not remember it very well. I had been watching doll videos and yt suggested me a video from Nicolle's dreams, she is sadly not posting anymore doll content. I liked the doll but it was rlly Smart Dolls that drew me in. After seeing Danny Choo's dolls I started researching them more and I rlly began to want one of my own. I was quite young back then so I only recently got my first girl in late December, and I am planning to get a body for a head that arrived a few weeks ago.

7. I stumbled upon Ringdoll S while browsing a dealer's website and I can still remember how absolutely gorgeous he looked when he was being released. He was too good looking to pass on and it took almost a year before he was shipped to me, but I do own him now!

8. I went to a convention and saw the Volks Inc booth, immediately fell in love and obsession with dolls. Waited for a year before purchasing my first bjd, but in between I obsessed with many companies sculpts and kept falling down the rabbit hole of bjds! :3nodding: My first doll was a MDD, she is still a prized possession of mine.

9. easy answer, she is a dragon by spirit imprint, i wanna get like 3, one bright pink and a white and black one

10. Hmm, not really. I was more in love with the dolls as concept and to help me get better at drawing. Then once I started looking at dolls I fell in love with practically every one I saw. I remember being obsessed with iplehouse, soom, and souldoll but as for specific dolls, I was really happy for whatever I could get my hands on.

11. Peaks Woods Briana. This is their old single-jointed body.

[​IMG]

12. In 2005 I stumbled upon a box opening. Someone had just received their Delf El from Luts, back before Cerberus Project sold through Fairyland. I had Barbies and American Girl dolls as a kid, but I was absolutely awe-struck by this doll's beauty and realism. Been obsessed ever since!

13. I can't remember whether it was Dream of Doll Ducan or Angel Region Ren first. I'd seen the dolls before, but I think those were Volks dolls, and while I thought they were pretty, I didn't feel like I needed one. Then I saw those two and that all changed.

Never ended up with a Ducan, but I do have a similar DoD event head, and two Rens.

14. I got a blast of nostalgia when read someone saying DOD and that was also my introduction I was so amazed at how life like bjds were. Man I wish I saved the photos from their site to see what I was in to back then. It was the vampire girl with white hair tha tI saw first but the more adult looking dolls from them I adored!

EDIT: I was able to find them. The first I saw was Tahlia, and the one I was in love with was Code No. 5. I really thought No. 5 was so cool back then XD not my style anymore but ahhh such good memories.

15. Volks Yori. Not my thing at all beyond the company photos, it turned out, but finding a pic of her online c. 2006 was what drew me in.

The first I truly fell in love with was the Luts/CP Dark Elf Soo. Way too anime for my current taste, but oh, was I obsessed at the time!

16. I don't remember the first doll I ever saw or what specifically got me into the hobby, but the first doll I wanted was a Luts Kid Delf Bory. I still don't have one but the whole Bory line is basically a grail for me, honestly.

17. The first "doll" that exposed me to the hobby wasn't a BJD but rather a Pullip Prunella, I was so in love with her and all the gorgeous customized Pullip dolls I would see on FlickR at the time. I was around 12 years old :) I thought BJDs and Blythes were creepy at first, until I first discovered Luts and fell for "Delf Soony". That took me down the BJD rabbit hole, although I didn't get my first doll until about 21-22 years old. None of those sculpts match with my current style and I never ended up owning a Pullip, but I do admire them a lot to this day as the starting point of my passion for the hobby :aheartbea

18. I was reeeeeally into webcomics as a kid, and I read Leigh Stein's Schism while it was still updating back in 2005. I went to the author's personal website and found all these gorgeous dolls! So cool. I don't remember many of the sculpts, I think one was an old F-28 (F-16), there was a Ricky artist head, a few more Volks and possibly a BlueFairy? I was hooked instantly, I wanted to know all about these dolls!!! The first specific doll I wanted to own myself was a DOD Si (I think, that was 16 years ago lol). I couldn't buy from overseas, my parents wouldn't allow it, so I saved and saved and picked nickels up off the cafeteria floor and ended up buying a CP Nanuri '06 head on the marketplace, lol, not my first idea AT ALL lol. I do have a doll for the character that I created for the Si, but he first came home as a Dollzone Demi and he's a BlueFairy Niky now. :lol:

This prompted me to look into what's happening with that webcomic now! IIRC the author left the BJD hobby years ago, or at least is no longer active in the forums, but she's still active as an artist and has revamped the comic! Thanks for the blast from the past, lol, and I loved reading everybody's experiences in this thread! So cool to see how everybody found the hobby.

19. Dream of dolls dukan and I never even got him... sad they don't exist anymore as a company. I was looking up some references on Google of doll eyes to draw and then I came across these beautiful realistic looking dolls (bjds) now I am a proud owner of 18 dolls

20. The doll that got me into the hobby was a Delf El. I was browsing eBay one evening, searching for ooak Japanese art dolls and came across a listing for an El- it was love at first sight! I ended up placing a bid on the doll, but unfortunately I didn't win. Instead I ended up buying an El directly from the company. That was back in 2005- and I have been in love with BJDs ever since^^