1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What doll got you into the hobby?

Mar 11, 2021

1. I got into the hobby years ago, when I was 13, back in like 2011, and my first ever doll was a Bluefairy Tinyfairy Niky. I lost interest in the hobby after a while, and sold my doll. But the recent popularity of anime-style sculpts are getting my weeb butt back into BJDs again. I currently have a 2D Doll Caicai boy on order with very specific plans for him.

2. The very first doll I saw was Dollfie Dream Rei Ayanami, I collect anime figures and I saw one in someone's Rei collection. I kept an eye on dollfie dreams for a bit (and got really excited when Len Kagamine came out) but I figured they were way too expensive for me. A few months later I eventually stumbled upon resin bjds and was immediately hooked. I did end up getting a blank Dollfie Dream head and body to make my own Rei, but I've since sold her off and decided I'll save up for the actual DDI Rei, she's one of my all time favourite characters and the original doll has a special charm to it.

3. Doll-Love Sliver-goal ! Such a cute boy :-)

4. Soom got me into the hobby in general, but now I prefer fairyland sculpts-though I am forever weak for the weird implhouse resin colors.

5. hmmm... it's a tossup between leekeworld mikhaila or doll chateau's whole aesthetic? i think the former is what drew my attention initially but the latter kept me coming back for more, haha. my tastes have changed a lot since i first discovered the hobby but my love for doll chateau is eternal!

6. Dream of Doll. I think I saw a picture being used as a character picture in an online RP.

7. i dont remember the sculpt name, but i started really wanting a bjd after i saw one with a scary smile! he was a really cute boy to me :( if i could find the sculpt again, i’d make sure to add it to my wishlist.....

8. I think the first doll I loved was DoD Ducan. My mom didn't like him and I was super influenced by her tastes in those days, so I never got him. Sometimes I wish I had bought more DoD dolls while they were still open, but then I remember what an awful time I had getting my Black Elf Sha.

I like to believe I saw a photo of a Ducan on deviantart while searching for visual kei, and that doll was what got me into the hobby. A post I made here in 2009 contradicts that and my memory of 2008 is hazy, so I guess I'll never know which doll made me fall in love with this hobby.

9. I not find pictures on internet, or fell for a specific doll. My collegue told me about these dolls, and it blew me away. So It was the costumisation of the dolls, the hobby itself. (My first love was Loong Soul Aoyue, but today I Don't really like to own any of their dolls. Taste changing...)

10. I'm not sure if I first stumbled on BJDs in 05 or 06, but I know I joined my first group in early 06 and eventually made my way to DoA. I can't remember which dolls I saw first, but I know the first ones that pulled on me were Luts Lishe, Iplehouse Silvia, Soom Smokey Gena, and Lati's Censya. I never acquired any of them, though I figured out a lot of the features I liked through them. I don't have any real interest in hunting down any of these, as my taste has been fairly different (although I do have some of CP's Littlefees, a few Soom sculpts, and Iplehouse Grace...never found another Lati that spoke to me).

11. I can't recall which was the first ever doll, only that it was someone's owner pic that made it onto the front page of DeviantArt as a Daily Deviation. However the first BJD that got me into the hobby and made me want to save up for a doll was Souldoll Zenith Chiron, in gray skin. I was so amazed at the level of detail in the blushing and the outfit. It didn't help that at the time I was obsessed with the 1986 movie Labyrinth, and I thought that the human Chiron gave me major goblin king vibes without necessarily looking like him.

[​IMG]

12. Distant Memory Jaeii, though I had a Dollshe before. Having Jaeii felt impossible at that time because no one sold him.

When Jaeii came I felt like someone with a soul moved it and that's it :lol::D

13. Minifee Sircca followed by many

Jaeii one of the best sculpts to me!

#113 vicoelizabeth, Jun 10, 2021
      Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2021
    14. The doll in my avatar, PlumeDoll's Luna. I love bugs, especially ants, even though I also find many of them somewhat frightening. To see a doll that reflected that really put a smile on my face! From the moment I saw her, I had to have her.

15. To me it was Ringdoll Wei Wuxian that got me into this community, I remember I was just randomly searching for a doll of Wei Wuxian because I love MDZS and found him in a coincidence. I do know that bjds exists at that time though, just never thought of owning one. I clicked the image and it took me to Ringdoll's official website. Unfortunately Wei Wuxian has been sold out, but other dolls had caught my eyes so I started browsing Ringdoll's website. And that was how I found my little boy. I clicked the 1/4 section and fell in love with Yumeo. Ordered him immediately and he is finally home after 5 months of waiting!

16. My friend/old roommate had a bjd I don't remember which one but it was a 1/4 and I remember being fascinated by him. Also looking up Crobidolls after playing Nameless ~the one thing you must recall~ sealed the deal for me, especially Tei.

17. When I bought smart doll infinity from Tokyo as I fall in love how big and animated she looks as I collect a lot of anime figure and sort of she reminded me of Nami from one piece:blush.
      Then when I did more research, I found a whole new world :aeyepop::aeyepop:
      I fall in love immediately and start buying more dolls as I would say my favourite companies for dolls are Switch and Volks mainly but I love some doll lines from other companies too :whee::whee:

18. Leekeworld Florence!! I was into pullips before I was into BJD and someone had recommended Leekeworld for wigs, so I checked it out and saw BJDs. I couldn't afford any at the time, but I was obsessed. Years later, I have a leekeworld Chloe, which is similar enough for me for now, but I'm on the hunt for that Florence.

19. Ringdoll Diyue, his face looked adorable to me. Also, I loved his hair color and eye color. I remember shopping around for my first BJD and I did a ton of looking around. I went on the Ringdoll site and seen him and immediately felt drawn to him. I think I thought about getting him for a few days because it was quite a big purchase to me, and I never ordered one before so I was unsure of the process. I ended up putting him on layaway and felt so excited that I was making payments on him. I would watch box opening videos on other dolls and would imagine what it would be like the day I would receive him. He is adorable to me still and I could never sell him. I got him as a full set so he came with his little uniform and umbrella, and at the time they had an event going on so I also got a little phone, tablet, psp, skateboard for him for free. Coolest thing ever for a first time buyer.

20. Dream of Doll Shall and Lahoo. Back then I didn't have the money so I tried my hand with a Pullip, and really fell in love with the hobby. However, my situation didn't improve at all and even had to give up on Pullip.

Fast forward 10-12 years later, I'm in a way better position now and finally managed to buy some BJDs. Unfortunately, DoD are not around anymore so I will never get them.

[​IMG]

The first doll I bought was Senior Delf Luts Luna