1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What if someone else opened your doll?

May 26, 2010

1. My husband (who also enjoys the hobby) feels that way, too. He tells me to rip the box open and doesn't understand why I make such a big deal about "savoring the moment." :lol:

2. Well...those who live in my house (my hubby, my dad, and my sister when she's in town visiting) know to not open my packages. Especially when I'm waiting for a doll. Or things FOR a doll...but packages addressed to my hubby or my sister (some of her mail still comes here) I open. Hubby doesn't care...sis gave me permission. No sense sending stuff on to her that doesn't NEED to be sent, so I've permission to open her mail. I opened my sister's first doll...as I got the money together to buy him for her as a gift. And I admit that I played with him a bit in the months before I was able to get him to her. Any dolls for her that come to my place, she's knows I'll open, inspect, clean, re-string and sued if needed...possibly make some form of simple clothing for, and possibly play with until she either comes to town to pick them up (she drives in so it's easier on her cat, though that's driving over 13 hours...) or my dad drives out to visit her and takes them with. But I ALWAYS make sure that they're re-boxed before she gets them, so she can open their boxes herself, too. and given that it can take MONTHS for us to get the doll to her (if there's a trip of her out here, or someone to see her, why pay for shipping?) it makes sense to at least open the doll to make sure nothing got damaged in transit. And...my playing with her dolls only happens with her permission. And playing with pretty much means giving them a temp face if they were purchased blank...and using them as a fit model to make jewelry and things. And again...it happens with her permission.

3. I'd be a bit cross if someone opened any of my mail, unless I ask them to do so. There isnt really any risk of anyone opening my mail, because in my family no one opens anyone elses mail unless asked to.

For me it is part of the fun, opening the box. Ripping off the tape and sniffing that first smell of new resin... it is nearly as nice as opening up a new box of chocs. :-D Besides, I just like opening boxes.

4. My parents used to have to hurry me along at christmas when opening presents - I would open each one carefully, put the paper to one side, then look at the gift. I still do that with parcels I get through the post - if I get home to find a doll or something waiting for me, I make myself a tea, get changed (if I've been to work), put bags or shopping away, and then open it. Carefully. Clearing up as I go. Hubby doesn't understand this - if he comes home to a parcel (usually a torch or a knife) he rips it open before he does anything else, and just leaves the packing where it falls. ARGH!

I think I would be annoyed if someone opened a doll I'd ordered before I had a chance to, but what really, really winds me up is when someone grabs at what I've just opened so they can have a look at/play with it before I've had a chance to. Hubby can be bad with this if it's a gadget, but he's got a lot better!

5. I would be very mad if someone opened my dollfie package without asking frist, Mind you l live alone for the time being and so l don't have to worry about that happing.

6. Uhh...I'm not too sure really. I wouldn't be mad if the person who did it had a really good excuse since no one in my house has the same name as I do & I wouldn't be mad if my husband did it since, you know, he's my husband. However I have a really nosy aunt who I know that if I had a doll shipped to me while I lived with her, she would have opened it and she is NOT delicate or respectful of the boundaries things that are not hers deserve and I would be PISSED if she opened it. Also, if I still lived with my father he probably would have opened the box but not removed the doll, which also wouldn't upset me too much....

7. Well, technically my mom opens all the boxes because she doesn't want me to hurt my hands (I'm an artist). Plus we share all the dolls anyways. But she always opens them with me in the room. If someone opened the doll when I wasn't around I probably wouldn't be very happy with them...

8. I like opening packages. I rarely get any mail (except recently, since I'm graduating and everyone minor acquaintance is sending me a card), but when I do it's exciting. There's just some good feeling when you open a box. I dunno. I don't let anyone else open even eyes or wigs.

My family's really good about not touching my mail, though. I haven't had a problem.

9. I really enjoy the box opening, but other than my girlfriend, no one else would open my mail anyway so it's not something I had much concern about until this week. Now I have a freshly painted no-longer-available doll head lost somewhere in the Chinese postal system and it's likely to be opened by some completely random person who is expecting the pair of shoes that was delivered to me. This is deeply upsetting to me. :vein

10. I'd let you open my mail too !!

11. I think the only time opening the box before me would be acceptable to me would be if the box arrived really torn up with the possibility of damage to the contents. Then I would hope the person who accepted the box would open it to check for damage and file a claim or what-have-you with the package deliverer.

Otherwise I'd be very angry and probably cry. I love packages, especially those with dolls in them. I don't get a lot of them, and I normally wait quite a bit for them. If someone were to somehow intercept the package and open it, I would show them my anger and disappointment. Box openings are therapeutic to me. It's also a serious bonding moment for the doll and me. I don't want someone else to take that from me, especially after spending so much on the doll.

But most people I know are aware of this and won't touch my packages besides accepting the packages from the postman.

12. Guess I couldn't be too angry...so far I only own one doll, and she had already been owned by someone else. But normally I get REALLY aggravated when someone opens my stuff. I still remember one time when my brother took my birthday present and opened it. Oh man did I get mad.

13. I do too! It's great but it isn't the heart stopping, tear bringing moment that other people have described. Even my first doll wasn't some sort of an OMG WOW moment. I stopped photographing box openings after the second one, lol.

14. You described my childhood present-opening habits too, ShortNCuddlyAm. :XD: As a kid I used to gently remove bows and ribbons, and open the wrapping very carefully (most of the time from the side/edges instead of just ripping it off). I guess I haven't outgrown that habit. :sweat

15. my first SD (limhwa half elf) was a gift from my fiance..id been wanting her for so long and it was a lovely surprise receiving her...but....it did get on my nerves a little that he had opend the box, un wrapped and dressed her/put eyes wig on her...i guess he was just checking she was whole and everything was just right...but i really was a little sad that i wasn't the first to see or play with her...ah well

16. I have ordered dolls with my best friend twice, and each time I've asked her to check if my doll is okay, and if anything is missing. I'm not always able to visit her at the moment the dolls arrive, but most companies wants to know if anythings wrong right away.
      But my friend always repacks my doll again afterawards. :aheartbea

17. I wouldn't care. The act of opening a box is totally unimportant to me.

Now, when I lived with my parents and my dad kept opening my credit card bills, THAT pissed me off...

18. Wierdly I HAVE opened other peoples dolls as part of splits! On a couple occasions I recieved the dolls but kept only portions and I admit I always felt a little weird knowing I was opeing someone elses' doll.

But after opeing umpteen dolls myself I wouldn't mind too much if someone else opened my doll, especially to make sure it was okay/check for damage.

19. I would be pretty upset if someone in my house opened a package addressed to me without asking first, if they ask and I say yes then its not a problem. When I get my first doll I will probably want to open it myself mostly because he will be my first but after that I'm not sure really it depends on where I am at the moment the doll arrives I guess, I would like to know as soon as possible if there are any damages.

20. My mom opened one, but she was actually under my mom's name cause my boyfriend used the label off a Christmas card I sent him to address the box. But that was ok, cause it took me a bit to realize the doll was mine! Normally they won't open my mail.