1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What if someone else opened your doll?

May 26, 2010

1. My friend purchased an Island doll Artemis for me as a birthday/christmas present. I was so surprised and excited that she did this for me!

It arrived at her house and she opened the box to look at the little girl. She emailed me to say that she did. Honestly, I wasnt angry. My reasons are: I wouldnt have the little girl if my friend hadnt bought her for me in the first place. And I trust her to honestly tell me if the doll is damaged or incomplete before it got to me.

I think as a present it would be very disheartening to have all the anticipation and open the package in front of my friend only to find the doll was damaged. Then that whole awkward thing starts. My friend would feel bad, I would feel sad. In the case of a gift, I think its a good idea that the gift giver (or group orderer) opens the packages to be sure everything is there and intact from shipping.

2. That is exactly how I have always been, carefully separating the wrapping at the seams rather than ripping the whole thing to shreds. I do this partly as to not make a mess (and if the paper is really nice, it can be reused later) and partly because I don't see the point in being in such a rush to open every thing. But then again, my lack of enthusiastic unwrapping my be because opening things are just not that big of a deal and I can take my time. I am one of those who finds that opening up a doll is rather 'anticlimactic' and have never felt the need to gather everyone around or take photos of the event.

With that being said, I despise anyone opening my mail, bills or dolls, it doesn't matter. It is a complete invasion of my privacy. I would be terribly upset if someone opened my doll, not because they took that experience away from me or kept me from being the first to handle/play with my new doll, but because it is my personal belonging. And aside from that, they may not be as careful and respectful of the doll. Thankfully this is not an issue that I have to deal with, as I leave alone. However, when I did live with my parents, they were very good about not opening my things. If any mail arrived for me, my mom would set it on the stairs for me to see on my way up. With my doll boxes, she would set them on the counter and there they would stay waiting for me to get home and open them.

3. The moment of opening a doll related thing is precious to me so I would be a bit in shock!!
      (or anything I really bought that was not run of the mill)

4. I have opened my best friend's doll, but it was a gift that I had bought for her, and not only was she away when it arrived, but I wanted to make sure it was okay and I wanted to quickly make him some clothes before sending him to her house that still doesn't know that BJDs are anatomically correct. I never felt guilty about it since I had bought the doll and she knew I was opening it to check for damage.

Even though I don't live at my parent's anymore, I still send my mail there since I trust the post service at their place much more than the one where I live right now. But my parents never opened any of my mail ever, so I have no worries about that.

5. well customs do it sometimes. and even that i find anoying. like: you saw my doll first >( bitch
      so if someone actually opened the box and got the doll out and unwrapped it and all. maaaan i'd be mad. opening the box is a BIG part of the fun i think. it's like opening your birthday/x-mas present! so then i'd yell to the person "how would you feel if i opened your christmas gift and blew the candles on your b-day cake?? *insert intense eyes''
      the only reason i would let someone open my box before me is in a situation like magnaStorm said. that i'd be OK with. especially if the person had to make clothes

6. I would sooo hate it !
      If I waited that doll for 3 months, of course I want to open it... That's the best part!

7. i would personally end the person's life. with my special xacto knife ;A; after all awaited anticipation for the package, it feels like after you get the item it isn't as fun unless you open the package yourself. its like your doll waking up to an orphanage or a total stranger, and not their owner/"parent"/guardian ;A; THE FEELING'S NOT THE SAME AFTERWARDSSSSS

8. lol it would be bad!

9. Haha! I dunno what type of questionable stuff you speak of, but I have ordered some pretty CRAZY stuff on the internet myself! Oh, goodness, no! I'd die of embarrassment if my parents opened those packages. XD
      As for a doll itself, I'd flip. My parents know not to open things that come in the mail for me. I remember this one time, I had joined In the Booth (Tiesto, a DJ, fan group where you get discounted tickets and are able to access the pre-sales). When you join the group, they send you a shirt, stickers, a DVD, and other goodies. So, anyway. My mom gets to it before I do, and I was LIVID. Things had gone missing, and I was very angry. They know better than to open my packages now.
      I guess letters that look like spam or things of that nature are fine. But packages... THAT'S A NO GO.

10. Thats funny like minds... I was thinking... ok what about person stuff..
      Sorry .... I opened.. your...um..box..never...looked...

Yeh right!

11. Throughout my doll collecting days, I've never been in a situation where anyone wanted to open them. Roommate wasn't terrified of them, but they didn't interest her at all. Parents just plop packages on my bed since I do commissions and don't want to mess with the creepy eye-less heads that float around here.

I suppose IF there was someone who knew I had a doll coming, and wanted to open it [As long as they asked. The one thing that would annoy me is if they didn't ask] I don't think I would flip out if a pesky brother or sister/curious parent wanted to open it while I wasn't there. Saves me the work, and I think having a doll come home is special enough for me. I don't need the super special moment of being the first to touch/hold the doll. I can understand why some would be upset though. It's a lot of money and time spent waiting, but I think the feeling of the box opening just wore off for me.

12. I have a bit of a complex when it comes to other people opening things meant for me-- I think it comes from the fact that my cousin used to open my birthday presents when we were young. Since then, opening my own packages has become almost ritualistic to me, and I'm the type to savor every piece of tape or paper that I take apart. If somebody opened a BJD box meant for me, I think I'd cry!

Luckily, my mom knows better and my dad doesn't much like dolls, so neither of them would dream of opening that magical box. When Tristan came, my mom actually woke me up early just so I'd be able to open him straight away :D

13. I would be so upset too! Seeing their pretty face for the first time is a huge bonding moment for me, so even if someone did open it I would want them to put it back EXACTLY how it was before and never tell me they opened it lol I like the feeling of "from the conveyor belt straight into my arms!" Customs gets on my nerves too XD

14. In all honestly the fear of someone opening the box first might be the reason why I'm waiting XD

My father has made a point that he finds people that own dolls as adults are weird. And I don't want to deal with explaining that while I live under his roof. So either I'll ship it to my friend's house or wait till I move to that friends house XD No cruel judgment there.

Now about opening the box... I'm not sure if I'll be angry or not. It's been a while since I've received a package to know how I'll feel XD.

15. I'd be super upset. First of all, it's my package and they have no right touching it. I'm very protective of my things and that's why I keep my room locked. I've had things of mine broken before and I totally flipped out each time because they were MY personal belongings.

16. I usually don't like the idea of other people rummaging through my mail, but this happened with my first (and currently only) doll, and I didn't mind at all.

I had to have her shipped to my parent's house, and since she was delivered a few weeks later than I anticipated, it was another two months between delivery and the time when I was able to come by and visit. My mom went ahead and opened the box without asking, at first I was a little disappointed, but I understood that she just wanted to make sure nothing was damaged. It was still totally special and enchanting when I saw her for the first time.

17. I've never understood the hype over box openings. It's not important to me and all I want to do is get it open and inspect the doll for damage. And I admit I hate actually having to cut the damn things open.

I have my dolls shipped to my sister's house because she is home during the day to accept packages, and I often have her open boxes for me to check for damage.

I'd be mad at the principle of someone opening my mail without my permission. Lost box opening I don't care about.

18. I actually kind of had to open someone elses doll. lol It was apart of a G.O. from Iplehouse and they sent her boy in a bag along with all the other goodies. I didn't take him out or remove bubble wrap though. lol So in that situation--I think it was a bit unavoidable.

But if someone opened my boy when he arrived I would have been livid. The only way it might have been okay was if they dressed him and set him up in a cute situation with like a sign or something--or maybe a balloon tied to his wrist. lol I'd still be kinda miffed, but the situation they put him in would calm me down I suppose. >> lol

19. People know not to touch my mail. I get thingo about other people just LOOKING like they're going to open it. Like entirely aggro. Then again most people know it's a real issue for me. I honestly just can't have anyone else touch my mail. It's not that the 'moment is special'. It's just that it is MY MAIL. What is mine is MINE and no one else should be opening it regardless of whether it is a doll or anything else.

Though honestly I find box openings anticlimactic. I barely ever pause to take pictures or anything because well... I don't see the point. I just want to get my doll out and play with him! Though if it's a doll that people want to see or hear about because there haven't been other box openings, I'll take posing and packaging pictures (like I did with my IoS Osiris). Usually, however, I don't. I just rip it open and get my doll out and squee all over the place that they're finally there.

So it being about the box isn't really an issue... yeah, just hate people touching my well anticipated mail in general XD

20. I'd probably be pretty upset if someone else opened one of my dolls. It really is an exciting, special moment so I wouldn't want anyone but me to do it.