1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What if someone else opened your doll?

May 26, 2010

1. This. I'm so glad to see i'm not the only one who feels this way. I have never understood the big deal over box openings, but I guess that's because I regard the doll as just that, a doll. The only thing I care about is making sure it's not damaged and that all the parts are correctly drilled and fit the way they should (*evil glare at Soom, who usually fails at this).

2. I plan on running a split for a few face plates in a few months, and this was actually something that I was wondering about. Honestly, my instinct is to pull out all of the doll parts, even those that won't be mine, and give them a full once-over, after all, if something is wrong, my name is the one on the order, so any replacement or missing parts inquiries would have to be from me to the company. I wouldn't play with the doll, but you get the idea.

As for someone opening a doll meant for me, I enjoy the box opening experience, but not so much that the concept of someone, with permission, opening the box and checking out the doll first doesn't bother me too much. Without, I'd be angry, but I'd not lose my mind or anything.

Box openings are neat to me since it lets other clearly see what a doll looks like bare-bones, and what's wrong with showing off your new baby?

3. It depends. My SO often opens boxes for me, especially when it's furniture to make sure it's not damaged. Most companies will instruct you to see that the contents of a furniture delivery are good, before signing it and accepting it, since you can't often return it afterward. It's a necessity since I'm not always there to check it. As for my dolls, if something is wrong with it I can't just send it back with the postman. In this case, I'd want to make sure I have the pleasure of opening it myself.

4. The other day I got a book and I told B&N twice and paid with PayPal even so it should have been addressed to me.

Somehow it had my Dad's name on it. Even though I said I AM EXPECTING A PACKAGE that day, and they were not...

They opened it.

Really? SERIOUSLY?! You were expecting NO BOOKS. I was. And I told you this. AND YOU OPEN IT?!

Had it been a doll, and I wouldn't have been able to take pictures, I would be in RAAAAAAGE mode. Because I'm highly territorial. No one is allowed in my room, no one is allowed to touch stuff, because I, too, give the same curtesy. We were raised that way. We have our corners that we just don't touch. To be violated...it's just...inciting.

I think it's because we give so much of ourselves outside that at home we need that privacy. To have it shattered...it's a big big big deal.

Not to mention the Bipolar OCD. And I'm not saying it jokingly. I am actually Bipolar and OCD. I can come into my room and stop, turn and say, "Who was in here?"

"How do you know?"

"You moved my pillow half and inch to the right."

"Sorry! I was borrowing a tissue!"

"No problem! Just making sure it was you!"

"Who else would it be?"

"...you never know..."

"...?!"

5. My husband opened my doll - but that was because when it arrived one end of the box had caved in, and he was highly concerned that the doll would be damaged.
      I didn't mind, mainly because he opened up the shipping box on the bottom, opened the doll box, checked her out, straightened her out, put everything back in it's place and sealed up the shipping box again, so I could still open it when I got home.
      Plus, that way he was able to alleviate any concern I may have had when I arrived home to see the condition the box was in. (and I probably would have freaked out)

If he had just opened it for no reason, I would have asked WTF he did it for, but ultimately, it wouldn't have been a big deal.

6. I've opened a doll for my friend before but that was because I bought it as a Christmas/birthday present for her and wanted to make sure he was fine, plus he came in the same box as my doll so I needed to open it up in order to get to him too. I don't think she's really the type to get too excited about box openings so she didn't mind. However I absolutely love opening packages and though I wouldn't necessarily be mad if someone opened up a doll before I could I would be disappointed at not being able to do it myself.

7. Erh... I'm pretty okay if my close friends are the one that opened the box (or even opened the whole dolls + removing the bubble wraps). But they must promise that they will be extra gentle with my dolls... :lol: Other people ? I don't think I will permit them. I'm pretty strict with my things. Only close friends that allowed to touch my things (books, toys, dolls, etc).

8. I'm fine if my family opens it for me to check for damage or missing items--they have been kind enough to do this for me before when I've been overseas for long chunks of time (but was expecting parcels). If I'm only away for a short time or if I'm just out, my family will collect the parcel for me and wait for me to open it though. It's only if I'm off in another country or across the country for an extended period that they will open it for me on my request. :)

9. I've always been a 'mail person' I love getting mail. Cards, packages, anything. My family always feared I would order stuff for the sake of getting boxes, thankfully I'm not that bad yet. Now I love opening my mail, espeically if it is 1)from a person, not a company, I love the little notes and stuff or 2) if it contains something really awesome.

I would be pretty upset if someone opened my doll without my permission (I've opened my friends dolls, but with permission and all). Now I would of course get over it, and honestly I would only be a little upset if that packed it back up and gave it to me to open again (especially if they were checking for damages and stuff).

10. Quite literally 50% of the time I have doll-related packages, I usually have a friend with me. The excitement gets a little contagious, so sometimes I'll have the friend help open stuff with me. It's quite fun :'D
      As for actually touching the wrapped-up doll inside the package? I'd find it less invading if they used my toothbrush xD

Although I couldn't see myself getting furious at someone who opened the entire thing by mistake- I mean, they'd probably realize it was a mistake if they saw a big ~DOLLMORE~ logo on the box, but if they kept going at it even then... Yeah, I'd be mad eue; Not entirely because they ruined a ~moment~ for me, but hellooo you're not suppose to touch other folks' mail, fools D:<

11. I would be annoyed but not that annoyed. It's still the first time I've seen the doll, which is what matters to me, I figure.

12. I was actually pretty pissed off when my mum opened one of my packages, because she thought it was for her, she was waiting on a package herself and thought mine was it.
      But that counts for all my mail.. I just like my privacy. And I don't think I'd mind more if it was my doll someone opened. I care less and less about the boxopening of my dolls ;)

13. I live with my parents, and they know nothing of privacy. I'm preparing my mother, telling her what sort of hell will come if she even thinks about opening my doll. I've had packages come before and she's opened every single one of them :(. She assures me that she wont open it. But idk.. shes tempted too much. So, to answer your question.. I would be pretty upset- no no wait- VERY upset. I think my anger would eventually evolve into sadness, because it would be my first dollfie, and I didn't even get to open it. (begins to get sad at the thought of it...)

14. I've had a few packages arrive recently that have been opened by Customs and had notes inside them saying they had been opened. While I understand why it's done, it does feel like an invasion of privacy or something.

15. I would never want someone else to open the box and see/touch my doll before me. I've only had two cases where that's happened and it was because they had to or I let them.( Example: I was away at school when my LuWen came so I had my mom open the box while I watched on a webcam.) Other than that, I don't want anyone seeing my new baby before me.

16. Indeed, I hate it when someone else opens my mail. Or hide my mail to give it to me at a time they think is best. (my mother did this a few times)
      It has my name on it, it is ment for me so it's not your business!
      I would be very angry if my packages were opened by someone else. (except customs but I would still don't like it)
      It doesn't matter if it's a doll or a camera or even just a tiny package. It's the matter of privacy.
      Allthough I would be angrier when it's a doll or something else 'big' and expensive because those are the things I'm waiting for for a long time. It's like your birthday present opened by someone else.

17. Yeah, I'll be pretty peeved if someone else open my mails, and even more so for doll box opening, since they are supposed to be very personal and you have been, like, waiting like forever for your doll to come only to have it opened by someone else (especially if they have no permission to do so). For me, the anticipation that I have built up during the long long wait demands that I open and welcome my doll into my life personally! XD

18. I'd be furious! I'd be angry with that person for aaaaaages and might even struggle bonding with the doll. That goes for any package I get but dolls especially. Although I have to agree with guneko. So far my box openings have been anticlimatic although I'm pretty positive that it'll be different in the future.

19. I guess I'm the opposite, with a hubby and kids I'm used to little or no privacy. We have a policy of sharing in this household, my kids can handle my dolls. I love to open boxes but so does everyone else. My kids have opened one of my boxes when I wasn't there and the only thing that bugged me was that the lid came apart and I didn't know whether they had done it or it was sent like that. A quick fix with superglue and everything was fine. It made no difference to my feelings in regards to the doll and I was happy that I'd been saved unwrapping it. If packages arrive during school holidays, the kids help me open the box and when I bought a doll for my youngest, I saved the box for her to open. I figure it's nice to be able to share the excitement of my hobby with other people especially my children.

20. Same here, I had to tell my mother to stop doing that.
      I'd be a bit upset if I missed out on the unwrapping ceremony of a new doll because it is exciting after a long wait, but I'd get over it I think.
      What really bugs me is when the outer box arrives damaged because someone in the postal system has been flinging my parcel around. I've paid for it, it's my property! Don't abuse it! Argh.