1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What if someone else opened your doll?

May 26, 2010

1. I'm usually the one who sort through and take care of the mail at home, so letters, spam mail, and packages-if-any just pile up on the kitchen table until I come home. ^_^; But I'd be super mad if someone were to open my doll. Opening the box, taking pictures, being the first one who touch and dress my doll... that's all part of the bonding process with my new dollie, and I'd be upset if someone ruins it.

Besides, there's the principle of the thing: No one should open other people's mail without permission. ;)

2. My mum knows not to open anything that's for me, because I do get upset about it. But sometimes when she's on the phone and isn't paying attention she'll open a package to find out what it is. But since I'm go to an internet high school I'm home 24/7 so if my doll arrives I'll know and I won't really have to worry about anyone touching it.

3. Dutch customs has opened several of my doll packages. It's their job. As a GO runner I have unpacked other people's doll to check for damage before shipping them off and another GO leader has unpacked a doll I ordered in her GO. More people mention that they think this is normal.

Sometimes people make the honest mistake of opening packages that are not theirs, but I guess that when you see a doll box you are quick to realise that it isn't yours unless you were waiting for an order made at the same doll company. If that person says "I'm sorry I opened your package. I thought it was for me, but I put everything back." it's not like I can be very mad at that person. If I told people that I'm expecting a package and that they should not open it, I'd be angry if they'd still open the package. Not because I don't get to do a virgin box opening, but because they ignored my wishes.

If someone opened my doll box, I'd be more worried about things getting accidentally damaged or lost than about not being the first to see the doll. A doll is not a hatching duckling.
      I do admit that 10 years ago I would probably have flipped my lid, because losing that last bit of privacy and security would hit me hard. Now I’m older and live under more stable circumstances. I can deal with people accidentally opening my mail as well as with people purposefully disrespecting my privacy.

4. I would be distraught beyond words.
      Because really, for me, opening the box is one of the first real moments of bonding with the doll, and being deprived of it is just wrong.

Of course, my family is generally very respectful of my mail. If I get something, they'll want to be around to see it, but they won't open it without me. xD;

And if it was just something little like..a wig, or whatever, I'd still be a little irritated, but I wouldn't mind so much. It's not like I was planning to bond with that wig! XD

5. Dunno why, but that made my morning.

Now that I realized it though I haven't actually answered my own question. Camera stuff is one thing, but a doll is a completely and totally different story. While I was only perturbed at the person in my house opening my mail in the first place I think I would be full on angry if someone actually opened a doll for me. If it's a part of a GO that's one thing, the GO leader needs to check and see if all the parts, clothings, and what not came. But other then that no one should see my doll before me. Once I open something I order I consider that to be the 'clicking' moment. The moment I know if I bond with the item or not, that's the reason my last camera had to go as silly as it is. I don't know if I would kick a toddler but there would certainly be some very angry words invovled. It's my stuff in the first place, you shouldn't have opened it to begin with!

6. That... actually happened to me. That doll was an anthro and bought on a whim of "I love foxes, and this one is extremely cute". Originally, it was not intended to be a character (although it has become one in the course of the time), so there was no feeling of "mine-mine-mine and no one else's!" that I usually get when buying a doll.
      Also, the little one was shipped to my friend's address (a person I trust a lot) and I had no way of checking the package within the one week time limit that Luts accepts.
      So I wasn't really mad when she just opened the box for me as she used to do with other dolly stuff like shoes, wigs etc. The only problem was that she didn't really ask me if she could do that - but then again, maybe it just slipped my mind somehow since it was over a half a year ago. And I had no trouble bonding with the doll - although I have to admit that the happiness of getting the new doll was somewhat less than with the two others I had by that time.

But if it weren't her... I'd probably be steaming mad and shouting and breaking stuff as I go ^_^; I am a very closed person and my belongings are mine, end of story.

7. I think opening the box is the most exciting part of purchasing a doll. Since I'm the one who bought the BJD for so much money, I want to be the first one to see/touch them. :)
      I'd be okay with someone opening the cardboard box, but not anything else. If someone opened everything without my permission, I'd really be aggravated. >.<

8. I would be upset. I don't like people snooping in my things and with something like a doll we've probably been waiting weeks, maybe even months or years to save up for it and buy it. The opening of the box is the climax! It's like going to see a movie and they build up tword this huge battle and then the next scene it is already over. Or coming down for Christmas to open your presents and everything is sitting under the tree already unwrapped. You still get your stuff but it's kinda disappointing.

9. I move apartments every six to eight months, and all of my packages go straight to my Mother's home because I know she won't be moving any time soon.
      Mother has a bad habit of opening my packages and letters.
      I know if I told her not to open it she wouldn't, but I feel like she would forget and open it anyway.
      Eternal sadness would be brought to me if she opened it.

10. Back in the day, maybe, or if it's a particular doll I've been especially excited about. But eh, I'm in it for the doll, not the box or the opening of said box. I'd get angry if someone tried the wig on or put the eyes in before me. But not so much the box.

11. I would cry, like burst out crying. I find opening dolls super special and would hate if someone took that away from me. I would still be happy that my doll came in though XD

12. I feel rather calm about it.
      My doll arrived to my friend, and I asked to open the box just to see if everything is ok. She made sure that the girl wasn't broken and packed her again) To know that the doll arrived safely is more important for me than to be the first one to open the box.

13. I've had nonBJD dolls opened by customs before and I kinda felt annoyed at that and also chagrined at the thought of their expressions at seeing unclothed dolls *lol* So far with my BJDs this hasn't happened yet, of which I'm thankful. Although of the former experience I guess it did bug me a bit that a parcel got opened so I've taken to wrapping any box I ship with brown paper and then mummify that with packing tape to the point that there'll only be a small bit of brown paper exposed for easier unwrapping because I certainly don't want other buyers to have the experience of having your thunder stolen by someone else you don't even know (ie: customs :| ).

14. I actually asked my parents to open my second doll for me, all the way back in 2006 :) I'd ordered him from DOD whilst I was living in Japan at the time, and he was due to be made and shipped to England at around the time I'd be getting home myself. For some reason DOD shipped him super-quickly and he arrived a whole month before I did -- I wanted to make sure that he was okay (no chipped noses, broken fingers or the like) ASAP so that any problems could be reported back to DOD immediately, rather than the potential problem of waiting for a month until I got home and only then trying to get replacements for any broken parts etc, so I asked my family to open his box and give him a quick checkup for me.

In the event, I'm really glad that they did that for me: not only did I have the peace of mind that he was okay so I could enjoy the last month of my study in Japan without worrying about him, but my mum also sent me a couple of photographs of him so I could see him despite being half the world away... and I got a few good laughs out of seeing the photographs of my little brother doing exactly what you'd expect a teenage boy to do with a naked doll: that really did make my day :lol:

15. I'd be absolutely furious, not because anyone was "depriving me of the experience" (as others have mentioned), but because I don't like people encroaching on my territory, and opening my mail, ANY of it, is definitely doing that. I'm extremely territorial. In addition, it's a federal offense in this country to tamper with another person's mail.

When I first got into this hobby, I was still in my teens, and living with my parents. We'd had numerous run-ins over the fact that my father liked to open my mail (including bank statements, letters, cards, and packages), and it had reached the point at which I'd instructed my bank to hold ALL my mailings at their office, and I went in every week or two and picked them up.

One time, I bought an outfit off of Y!JA. My father was angry that I had been refusing to attend church with them (I had realized some time before that our religious views did not line up, and had been recently putting my foot down about it), and so when the mail was delivered that Monday, and he saw the package, rather than opening it or giving it to me, he hid it somewhere. He then forgot where he had put it. To this day, I have still not received that package, because my father has never remembered where he hid it. So I was out the $60 or so I'd spent on the outfit, plus shipping costs and bidding service fees. I was so angry I didn't speak to him for a more than a week.

16. I love box openings, and since buying a new doll is such a rare/unlikely occurance for me, I think i'd be pretty upset. Now, the outer box I wouldn't mind- but if they so much as lifted the lid of the doll box it'd upset me >< I really enjoyed opening the boxes of Draven and Haku and I think for my third- and possibly female- doll, for my birthday i'd like to have family watch because before it was a solitary experience xD I think my mother especially needs to see how happy they make me.

But any parcels I get get put on my bed for when I come home so so far, no worries as far as people opening my packages.

17. My friend had an experience sorta like this. Her box wasn't opened for her, but her mother and sister were desperate to see her first doll and coerced her into opening the box, taking the doll out, and clothing him immediately. Afterwards, she was upset that she didn't get any box-opening pics, especially since it was her first doll.

18. I'm glad someone has brought this up!
      For my birthday my boyfriend ordered me a few dolls, only their expected arrival time was when he is at his dad's in another state so he had them sent there. Now they will be arriving to him any day now, and every single day I tell him "Don't open my dollies! Whatever you do, do not even open the package box!" Not in a mean way, he understands that I'm being protective.
      I would be so heartbroken if someone else opened my dolls for the first time. Its a special experience that's the start of bonding with your doll. I wouldn't think of the doll as mine if some one else opened it really... That might be over the top to some people but I really would be so hurt.

19. I'm actually angry at your father, just reading this! I hope one day the outfit might still turn up if it's hidden around the house somewhere. But I really think your father owes you the money back, I wouldn't let him forget it.
      It sounds harsh but that's a big enough amount of money for me to think of calling the police over, if someone I lived with ever stole from me in that way but then again, I'm a bitch about my property like that.

That's exactly how I feel. It's possible to open the outside packaging by mistake but once you see a doll box (and you haven't personally opened a doll) you've got to stop.

I suppose there are a lot of peope who aren't into the hobby who wouldn't appreciate the importance of the box opening ritual and might unpack and dress your doll for you thinking you'd be happier to see it complete like that. I'd be upset about that and I'd gently suggest I'd rather do it myself in future but if it was done in good faith I hope I wouldn't get too angry at them.

20. My dolls came with group orders arranged by a friend of mine and she opened the boxes first to see if they were all right. I'm okay with that. Next she put them neatly back into their protective wrapping and sleeping bag and back into the box so I could still have my box opening :).