1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What if you can't find a doll you like, even though you love BJDs?

Nov 10, 2010

1. Have you ever been in a situation like this?
      Yes. Fortunately, the doll I need has been released recently.

What can you do, then?
      Realistically, simply wait. It's much better to have exactly what you want, as opposed to a stand in. You save money, hassle, and stress this way. There's nothing wrong with waiting for the right doll to come along. Your taste might also change over time. It's no fun selling dolls you no longer want.

Why do you think this is happening?
      You have very specific taste, and the doll you imagine hasn't been created yet. Or the doll does exist, but you haven't come across it yet. Best of luck.

2. Have you ever been in a situation like this?
      Yes. I wanted Sephiroth.
      What can you do, then?
      I sculpted the head by myself and bought a great body from Dream Realm.
      Because I'm very-very picky, 4 Minimee GOs had not enough likeness for me to choose among them)

3. Only had that happen when I did want pre-determined character dolls...infact, it annoyed me so much I threw the idea out the window, bought what I loved then made them their persona once they'd arrived. Still only got a single "character" doll to this day and he was possibly the most excrutiating to get towards a state in which I looked and went...ahh, yep, there's my guy. I guess this was all a result of having to concrete an idea of what should and shouldn't be, I absolutley enjoy my collection now it's more organic and malleable.

4. Do you know this situation?

Ha. I wish!!!!

No, I do not have this problem. Quite the opposite... I always see too many dolls I would love to own!

You look through the net, searching for the perfect doll, but just can't find it?

It took me about a month to find my first, perfect doll, and another few months to get him home. Some people take shorter or longer times. I wouldn't worry too much. Keep looking and enjoy thinking of how certain dolls might work or might not... save up money for when you find the perfect one. That can take time... Or maybe look for other items you'll need to have for your perfect doll, accessories, furniture, clothes, wigs...

Have you ever been in a situation like this?
      What can you do, then?

Just keep looking and play with your first doll... and keep saving money up.

The right doll is just not around yet... or you have not looked hard enough to make sure you have seen all the dolls possible...

I wouldn't worry so much. Be patient and keep looking. Looking around and not buying can be fun... and it's a lot less expensive! *_*

5. It's Luts - Frey. Actually a pretty popular doll, how could I miss him?! Funny thing is, that he wouldn't really match the character I had in mind... But he's just WAY too beautiful to be true. But the fact that he's not the character I actually wanted makes me a little hesitant, even though he's a beauty without compare.

Thanks for all your answers.

6. Have you ever been in a situation like this?
      Yes, definitely. There are many, many dolls which I think are pretty, but they were all missing that something special that made me truly want to own them.
      What can you do, then?
      Just keep looking! Eventually you'll find that one sculpt you fall totally in love with.
      To start with, my basic criteria ruled out the majority of dolls; I wanted an SD-sized male doll with features that were more European than Asian...and he also had to be smiling. Not a seductive or mischievous smile, just a relaxed, happy, "I'm content with my life" smile. On top of that, I'm incredibly picky about minor details, enough so to immediately reject 99% of the sculpts I saw. And with the rest, there was always one little detail that bothered me juuust enough for me to give them a pass...

I did eventually find that one sculpt...after about three or four years of being interested in the hobby. He arrived safe and sound a few days ago and I'm currently saving for his body. ^^

I hope you, too, have luck on your quest!

7. Have you ever been in a situation like this?
      I am in that situation now, have the money, want a mini or tiny girl (or both) can't find the one.
      What can you do, then?
      Continue to look in the desperate hope I will find her
      Too much choice but as I want an unusual doll not enough in my taste. I really need someone to do one to my specs

8. Yes, I've been in this situation, and what I do is end up waiting until I come upon the right one. I have characters that I want to bring to life, and sometimes matching a mold to their characteristics can take a very long time. Nevertheless, I keep at it and now I have a wishlist to keep up with :)

9. I'm actually having this issue right now. I love Yo-SDs, and they are one of the BJDs that I really like. I also like Mini Super Dollfie's and Super Dollfie's...however, it seems that every picture I find of the doll I like, they turn out to be Limited Edition dolls. Specifically, I wanted to purchase my first BJD at the VolksUSA Showroom, but they have such a sparse selection. Now I'm torn between getting my first BJD locally, or ordering through Luts. It's such a hard decision. I know which dolls I like, but the method of obtaining them is the difficult part.

10. It took me a while to find my first boy. I didn't have anything in mind of what I wanted, or what I might even like. I fell for a lot of different molds from a lot of different companies, but none that jumped out at. It was actually my girlfriend who found my first boy on the marketplace of a long-gone doll forum, and when I saw him, I loved him. Plus, I loved how much stuff he came with, but that's beside the point.

You'll find the doll you want, but it may take some time. Like others have said before, just keep browsing through company molds and the MP and you'll come across the one.

11. agreed with tanjalalie, new doll keep releasing..i'm sure can meet the one for u

12. I felt like this when I first started getting into BJDs. I think, before you find the right doll mold, you need to figure out what general features you find attractive in a doll. E.g. big eyes, round face, long neck, etc. Then concentrate your search on finding dolls with these particular features. The more you focus your search, and the pickier you are, the more likely you are to find a doll you'll be very happy with. At least, that's my opinion.:)

EDIT: And remember! If you find a head mold you like, but you don't like the company's body mold, you can always buy another company's body and fit the head to it. In that case, if you're concerned about resin matches between the head and body, you can ask in the Picture Requests subforum for help.