1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What if you lost interest in your dolls or the hobby???

May 2, 2012

1. I've had the thought a few times, especially when a lot of emotion and personal things have come up to happen. But I never got rid of the dolls, cause I knew deep down once I did and things changed I'd probably want them back again as well as how much time i put into getting them and making their personalities. I can say i was out of the hobby for a while, just didn't seem to have time for it with everything going on.

I'm glad i didn't sell my dolls or pass them along, as since I am slowly moving back into the hobby more and wanting to try and start making things for them again. Feel so out of touch actually from being away from the community though. Its a very hard labor of love this hobby, but I do enjoy it and love teaching others when they ask about them when i do take them out in public :D

I do say if you feel the need, its always good to just step back and take a break, but I'd steer clear of selling just in case you might want to go back again. I already got my dream doll so it would have been heartbreaking if I did sell cause I'm sure it would have taken me forever to replace him or even try to find him again since the mold is no longer with the company either from my understanding.

2. I don't think you necessarily have to feel like you should do something with them and I think that feeling tends to be what causes a lot of people to wonder if they have too many/should take photos/etc. I tend to be pretty awful with a camera and due to their price, get a bit worried about moving them around much to begin with. Regardless, I enjoy having them on my desk and seeing them makes me happy.

I think, if they still make you happy just being around, then that should be reason enough to stay :)

3. I don't think I'd ever leave the hobby. I've always had dolls in my life, and when I discovered BJDs, I knew there was no going back on that for me. I am, however, not so sure how much I love the doll I have. I don't want to sell her, she's just going to take quite a bit of work until she's exactly what I want. She needs new clothes, maybe a new wig, and a new faceup because her current one hasn't really been what I want and it's wearing down anyways.
      I tend to go through cycles. I'm REALLY into dolls, then moderately, and then I kind of fade out of it. Then something comes around again and then whoosh, I'm back in again. Don't think I'll ever leave though. I would have to be homeless to even consider selling off my dolls.

4. I'm certainly thinking of it lately. The last doll I purchased was one I'd long coveted but I can't seem to get excited about putting her together at all. It seems more like a hassle than anything, even though I was so sure I'd enjoy her. -.- This keeps happening and I'm about ready to give up on buying dolls at all.

Even so, I love my five completed dolls too much to decide between them. I'll definitely keep them no matter what.

5. slvrdrgn I hope you are feeling better asap! If you are going through depression it may not be a good time to give up on something you obviously got enjoyment from and were planning to do things with in the future. You know one of the signs of depression is a lack of enthusiasm for things you would normally enjoy. Take your time as there is no urgency to get out of the hobby or get rid of any of your dolls. Maybe like others have said you could concentrate on only a couple of them for a while. Don't get overwhelmed thinking you must do things with all of them. They are yours to do with as you like so enjoy them however it suits you. I know what you mean by feeling it is harder to focus on one as your group grows. I now have seven with another coming this week and also wanted to get my group together before doing things like a photo story. I figure it will happen eventually so in the meantime I just enjoy playing with and just looking at them. Start with small things and before you know it you may have regained that enjoyment and happiness. Good luck and I look forward to seeing some of your pictures in the future:)

6. The good things with dolls is they don't need food, water or love to be around and thrive ;) You can put them away in their boxes until you feel better. I've been collecting Blythe for a while and due to me being at home on sick leave from work had all this time and other stuff going on it kind of spun out of control! now I'm actually getting things together and realizing too many dolls can become overwhelming. I just recently received the cutest Mint from Doll Leaves only to realize I'm not into tiny, which makes me sad since I think she's so fun and quirky, but I don't just want her standing in the cabinet in her full set doing nothing. I look at a different way, I have gotten the time to love and enjoy my dolls and now someone else gets to. Downsizing my dolls from 26 to 10 is pretty hard since I do love all of them but since the hobby for me is about the creating of clothing, I need to keep my focus and stop stress-buying... Even a friend of mine who stopped collecting after 32 Blythe dolls does not play with them in 4 years but still has a tendency to buy them clothing.
      There's dolly-bleh, there's life-bleh that can be solved with dolly time, but there's also the bleh that can only be solved from within and everything may feel like bleh... but really everything is only temporary :)
      Thrill of the chase collecting will only last until after deboxing and putting away, meaning you'll just end up buying more and more to get some excitement, really it's just a feeling you are using to ignore some other issues. It's still healthier than hoarding or doing drugs, though can be just as costly!

7. I've given thought to leaving the hobby quite a few times. It always kind of hovers there in the forefront of my mind. It gets worse when I stop and look at all the money I've poured into the hobby, and how much extra I'd have if I simply up and sold everything without so much as a by-your-leave. I also didn't feel like I was doing enough with my dolls to validate being in the hobby. Taking photos can be a real hassle at times, and my blog is slow to update because of it.

Then I realised that that's simply not how I, personally, enjoy the hobby. That taking intricate photos or making novel length back stories isnt necessary. I simply enjoy having my dolls sitting prettily on their shelves. And there's absolutly nothing wrong with simply enjoying a doll for the dolls sake. In fact, if I feel like I have to create a character for a doll, or go hunting for a sculpt specifically to fit into some kind of character mold in my head I won't purchase said doll. If the doll can't hold itself up on its own, then I know it'll end up simply packed away or sold (most likely sold!).

I also don't think theres anything wrong with selling every single damn doll in ones collection and starting afresh. I never have any feelings of regret or guilt after selling a doll - it's rather refreshing when you're getting tired of a specific sculpt to sell it.

8. I am in a BJD-hobby since february 2012. While everything is pleasant to me and I don't think of leaving a hobby. Today it seems impossible. I love my hobby.

9. I don't really know...I would probably still keep the doll, or I would sell him...but that would make me and him sad! :(

10. I would keep my favorites and sell the rest. There are a couple I don't think I could part with.

11. I would still keep them,but I wouldn't spend any more money on them. Maybe I would put them in a glass case for display like the rest of my knick-knacks.

12. Though I know it happens regularly, I really can't imagine me doing that. I guess if I did, I might keep one or two who were special to me and sell the rest.

13. I don't think I could ever lose interest in my doll(s), but in the unlikely event that I did I'm not sure what I would do
      if I had more than one I'd probably sell all of them (except Nadeko, I could never sell her) and put that money into one of my many other hobbies

14. I really can't see myself losing interest in my girls. I do go in cycles of buying dolls/clothes/ect and not buying them, but to completely lose interest? I just don't think I'd ever do that. I already have a hard time throwing things out, or selling them (No I'm not a hoarder, but I do get attached to some of my things, especially my dolls), I would just keep them and display them.

15. Sometimes I focus on different hobbies or duties and in those times my dolls sit somewhere safe and look pretty. I'd never sell them though; I didn't spend so much money on them to lose interest in them permenantly.

16. Have you ever fallen out of the hobby or become disinterested from time to time?
      How do you find your interest again? How long does it last?

17. From time to time I've lost interest in my dolls, but only because once in a while when I look at them I don't see pretty dolls and fun characters, all I see is a stack of money I could use for something else. :sweat The feeling doesn't last too long, though. I like my doll family as it is and it would be a shame to sell them without thinking it over for a long time.

18. post deleted

19. It happens. I haven't fully lost interest, but I have been through times when I've considered selling off all the dolls except my first two. I rekindle the love by spend9ing time with the others and trying to rediscover what drew them to me in the first place.