1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What if you lost interest in your dolls or the hobby???

May 2, 2012

1. It's hard to imagine, but I suppose it COULD be possible... IF I were to lose interest ever, I'd give them to my friends and my grandma, who loves BJDs but can't afford to have very many.

2. There are some that I'd definitely keep around no matter what, but my overall interest does ebb and flow with what's going on around me and the amount of time I have. I've never put them away for a certain amount of time to see if I still care, but I do ignore them at times.

3. I've never lost interest in my BJDs. I've stopped buying things for them to work on other hobbies, but they've always been with me. I'm a collector at heart, and am one to hold onto the things I love, so I can't imagine completely losing intrest. I am so attached to all of my dolls I would have a very hard time selling all of them or deciding which ones to keep. I just don't think I could do it.

4. I'm kind of a hobby jumper. I get into things really fast and heavy (and spend a ton of money on it) and then I lose interest really quickly and have all the stuff laying around useless. However, it's been a full year since I've got into BJDs and I'm even more into them now than when I started! I'd say that's a pretty good sign for my interest in this hobby.

However, if I were to lose interest in dolls, I would probably sell some of them, but I don't think I would sell them all. There are a few that are very dear to me that I would definitely keep even if I didn't take them out daily and photograph.

5. I go through phases with dolls to be sure, but after several years in the hobby I still love dolls and don't see myself ever getting out of the hobby completely. I'll leave them for a couple months at a time without doing much with them except maybe stopping to admire their pretty faces. But I always come back.

If I ever lost all interest in them I'd probably just sell them and as many of their accessories as I could. If there was any regret over the idea of selling anything, then it would be a sign that I'm not done with them yet. I'd just pack them up safely and put them away until I made up my mind. Which I'm terribly slow at sometimes XD

6. i go on and off with mine but i would never not like them, i think I've basically made a vow to never part with my Isabella.

7. Wow, you had 30 dolls?! You had quite an impressive collection!!
      I'm not sure if I would sell them - probably... It's usually hard for me to part with the things I own, even when I don't really want/care for them anymore ^^"
      Luckily, you can still sell BJDs for a high price if you decide you don't want them anymore. But I truly wish this won't happen, because I spent so much money, time and effort with this hobby xD It would be pretty sad if I completely lost interest in it.

8. I don't think I ever lost interest in something I considered a hobby, it just keeps mutating XD
      If I completely lost interest in it, I'd most probably sell everything.
      I even sell things from time to time when it comes to hobbies I still follow, just because there are a few items I know I can live without and buy new stuff from the money I get for them, plus I gain additional space
      that's what I call a win-win situation ;D

9. I do go through phases where I loose interest a bit. I picked up a girl the other day as I was thinking about selling her but I took one look at her cute face and just couldn't do it.

10. I used to think that this would never happen to me. That I'd NEVER fall out of the hobby, and want to sell some/most of my crew!! But the truth is, college happened, and my interest (and free time/spending money T___T) has just diminished. I haven't been to meetups in a while, haven't posted, and haven't had time to play with my dolls. As such, I've sort of lost a lot of interest in the hobby!

Now, there are some I would NEVER sell (my darling Alec will ALWAYS be with me), but as soon as I'm back home from Uni, I'm planning on selling at least 13-14 of them. They're just not seeing daylight with me, and I think they should be thoroughly enjoyed, so I'll be rehoming them :) Maybe someday I'll jump back in with both feet, but for now I'm pulling back! But I'll always love my special few :aheartbea

11. I actually lost interest on my three tiny BJDs because of their size (I had SD before). So I'm selling them to have money for a MSD (Boris Iplehouse, I'm buying one in layaway). I'm not material, so if I have no more interest, I prefer to separate from them so they can be useful to someone else.

12. i have a cyclical obsessive personality. when i was younger i used to sell or get rid of my "collections" when i stopped being interested in them, and then 3, 6, 12 months would pass... suddenly something would trigger my obsession again and i would regret what i did unless it was for a practical reason such as being pressed for money.

i have many interests but can only focus obsessively on 1 or 2 of them for certain periods of time. i already had a lapse of interest in my dolls this winter and barely touched them for a couple months, but now i feel really obsessive and engaged with them again. it's hard for me to have casual interest in a hobby; either the interest switch is "ON" or "OFF". by now this is no longer surprising, it's just how my brain works: it fixates on X and then moves on to Y for a period of Z until it comes full circle back to X.

i've displayed this pattern of behavior in obsessing over things in cycles since i was a really small child so it's pretty hardwired into my brain. when i was a kid/teenager i didn't understand this fully which is why i had the problem of "getting rid" of my hobby stuff (which included dolls, but they were mostly Barbies) and then wanting it back suddenly later because something tripped the "ON/OFF" switch.

so now when i begin to realize i am losing interest in something i no longer get rid of it, i hold on to it for when i know i'll become interested again. whenever that happens, i'm always really glad i kept everything, and i am not just talking about dolls.

i know i have an abnormal way of functioning. some people lose interest in things permanently, but as long as hoarding doesn't become a real issue (i come from a family of hoarders, so maybe i'm at risk of becoming one) it's usually unwise for me to get rid of anything i lose interest in. 99% of the time it is temporary and i will always come back to it.

if theoretically i lost interest permanently in dolls, i would put them all in storage, although i might give one or two away to doll friends who wanted one. there is the possibility they will be considered (valuable?) vintage antiques in the future, or they could be heirlooms. if i die soon, then they'll probably be sold... i guess i would only sell them myself if i had pressing financial needs (which happened once or twice before, but i mostly sold other possessions to deal with that, since dolls are usually less 'replacable')

i also think if you're emotionally attached to your dolls but lost interest in the hobby you should keep them unless you need money. maybe you will meet someone or have a child who would appreciate them. maybe they can just be ornamental and remind you of good memories even if you don't participate in doll related activities any more.

13. Not so much leave the hobby, but downsize my group. I think my tastes have changed and I'd like to focus on my favorites. I'm hoping to find someone else to enjoy them. I'm inching closer to take the plunge as I've printed out the MP Sales form to copy and start filling out... I feel sad but sadder that I can't love them all.

14. I sort of left the hobby for a couple years. I had two pukis and an Iplehouse JID but my life started turning toward other things. I sold one puki 6 months after owning her due to bonding issues, then sold the Iplehouse doll because I literally did nothing with her. She sat next to my computer desk and gathered dust. I had figured my interest was gone because I wasn't taking pictures, buying them things, or even keeping up with the people whose other dolls had friended mine. I probably would've sold my last Puki had I not been so attached to her despite no longer taking her everywhere. I've never had a big group but it felt like maybe I had taken too many in, expected myself to do too much.

I'm just getting back in due to my new girl and I'm taking it slow. I know I won't ever have a huge group of dolls but I have a tendency to get burned out quick on things and this hobby's too expensive to just fly through.

15. I wander in and out of the hobby but I would never sell the dolls! I like them too much. Sometimes I get busy or bored with them and don't play with any for months. Maybe just dust them off. Then I will get in a mood to play and start playing with them!

16. My times of sadness always drove me to spend more money, which would then make me more depressed, and keep the cycle going. I've been able to step back from that aspect now, but I've also realized that waiting for them to be complete to play with them sort of creates too much pressure where there needs be none. I take a step back from my collection now and then, and I've found that there's a core group of dolls I like to have around, even when I don't do much with them. As such, I'm taking steps to get back to that core of dolls.

17. I have though about leaving this hobby quite often in these past few months. I have been really depressed and hardly ever touched my girl. And there's a head lying around. I wanted to sell her few times despite being in love with her face. And I also don't feel the same passion for this hobby anymore. And it's been just over a year. :/ I hope I will be able to get back to BJDs (and dolls in general) in summer but for now I just can't make myself go through photos I took and upload them. I feel tired for some reason.

18. I have been in the bjd world a little less than 3 years. I know emotional attachments like this one can come and go. So far I've been fairly obsessed -- no waning in my joy and curiosity about them. I'm happy about it because I was in a heavy depression. My relationship with God was a wonderful anchor, but being able to find interest in anything "of this world" I count as a treasure and gift from Him. I don't want to lose my place in this hobby. I have many dreams or goals I still look forward to reaching. I believe God is happy [?] to see me light up a little and just be a human doing human things with others ~ and feeling thankful. It has taken a while to fall into place and now I have growing friendships with people in my area through local meet ups. We are mostly all wildly different, but this core thing in common taps into a lot of similarities too.

19. I have that feeling every now and then. After I bought my first doll, I played with him for a year or so, but because of many different reasons associating with that doll I lost interest. He just sat in my room for about two or three years until I moved into a dorm room for college. I made a friend with someone in my building who happened to have a BJD from the same maker as mine and that peaked my interest again. After a few years my interest fizzled out again. Even when my roommates got into BJDs it wasn't enough to bring me back again. I guess because I didn't have any money to spend on doll stuff. I didn't have a job and I thought about selling my first doll for some money to pay my bills. He's a SD sized doll and I'm more into MSD size now anyway. I'm really glad I didn't. Now that I'm back in the hobby, I know seeing pictures of his sculpt would have really depressed me. I would have missed him, regretted selling him, and probably looked into buying the same sculpt again. I'm so happy I still have him. I can't see myself selling any of my dolls in the future even if I lose interest in BJDs again. I know there's a chance I'll want to play with them again.

My advice is pack up the dolls you're unhappy with as if you are planning on selling them. Put them away for a while, check on them when you're ready to come back to the hobby and then decide whether to sell them or keep them.

20. that has never happened to me but I imagine that if it did that I would keep my favorite doll and maybe one or two more and sell the rest that I wasn't so attached to (I know it can be hard but they'd be going to good homes and if your problem is feeling overwhelmed by the number of dolls it would certainly help)
      if you feel that you aren't giving them enough attention try leaving one out with you while you watch T.V., do some work or maybe even take it out with you and see if that makes you feel better about them.