1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What if you lost interest in your dolls or the hobby???

May 2, 2012

1. Even if I lose interest, I plan on keeping my dolls for...forever basically. I only have 4 so that seems do-able to me. I could just keep them on display but never update or do anything with them. I don't see myself selling them all just because I lose interest. It would just mean they are display only and still pretty to look at and to remember how hard I worked on them and how proud I am of creating them. If I ever have more than 10, I would consider selling some if they aren't "near and dear". But I don't see myself selling them ALL just because I lose interest.

2. While I've never lost interest in the hobby.. I have been a little overwhelmed by the size.. & I ended up selling my only SDG sized doll & her clothes. I still feel bad for selling her. I should have just put her away and gave it a little while. :( I also let my little ones go, & some clothes that never seemed right for any of my girls.

I'm now down to 3 MSD sized girls.. & I would like to add at least one more small one. ;)

I have all girls, & I have tried to add boys into the Family.. but they never seem to fit.. or maybe it's just because I enjoy the clothes, wigs, & shoes that the girls can be dressed up in more. :fangirl:

I managed to buy some Sterilite hinged lid storage cases that have pink lids that I keep their clothes, shoes, wigs, & other stuff in, so if I do put their stuff away... everything stays nice & safe. :cool:

3. I started to loss interest in my dolls, especially for one, sometime ago. I have really thought about selling my boy, Azan, at one point because he wasn't looking the way I wanted him to. My best friend told me if I ever sell him to let her know and she would buy him from me. But then I finally bought him a few outfits and wigs and now he's gaining back my interest.

However my interest in dolls in general is more or less gone because I can't afford it and I have those real world problems: money is tight, got some debt that I'm not proud of having, and life is not where I want to be at this point. My dolls right now just remind me of how much money I have spend on them. But I can't find myself to sell them. So they sit on my shelf.

Some with being on the Den just on forum interest wise. I used have been on forums all the time like 10 years ago....:| I feel so old. So if I was in the hobby back then and the Den was around my posts would be higher than they are now.

So interests come and go with me just depends on how my life is. Crochet however is an interest that just got stronger over the last years. So have to see where that will take me.

4. I know for sure that I'll be interesting in dolls till ... but if that happened, I'll keep my fav dolls for my grand daughter.

5. if i lost interest in the hobby as a whole i still wouldn't sell them. i'v tried and failed many many times to sell them. I'm just too attached to them. i'd more then likely store them all away in a trunk in my attic or basement somewhere. I like to imagine that, if that ever happened, years and years later or my unborn children or grandchildren will stumble across them and ask me about them and I can pull them out and dust them off and smile nostalgically as I pass then on~
      (Also im a pack rat and hate being told to get rid of things rather I need/use/have interest in them or not)

6. ^ Pretty much this. I've also gone through a number of hobby phases and they all come back around in cycles over the years. So I know at some point I'll cool down in this one as well. When I started this hobby, I also thought about it from the perspective of my dolls also being decorations that can exist as interesting conversation pieces without me needing to do anything with them.

7. I have loved dolls of all kinds my entire life.

If I ever lose interest in my dolls, check my pulse. You probably won't find one.

8. If I ever lost interest in the hobby, I'd keep all of my dolls and store all but one. The one doll would stay on display for a while then I'd exchange it for another stored doll after so long. I get kind of sentimental about some things and I know I'd regret it forever if I sold any of them, even if I never regained my interest in the hobby.

9. I don't see this happening, honestly, but even if I lost interest in getting new dolls, I would keep the ones I have.

10. I don't know if I would lose all interest in dolls. I guess if it came to it, I would just put them away for awhile. I then might come back to them to see how I feel about the dolls. I could possibly see myself selling off a couple if I really lost interest, but I don't see myself selling all of them. I will admit I am materialistic and I like to hold on to things as long as possible :) so selling everything would not happen (esp when I put a lot of money into them anyway).

11. Nope, definitely would not be quitting this hobby in any way. I have been collecting all types of dolls for over 40 years now. I must say that bjds have been the most interesting, versatile and custom-creating set of dolls ever! Since you can change hair, eyes, wigs, face ups and clothes; for me, I can take a doll that might be tiresome and create a whole new girl or boy! Love that about this hobby for sure =)

12. I doubt that I will ever loose interest in these dolls - my hobbies are usually for keeps. Still, if I did, I wouldn't sell off my collection, but keep them as a reminder of a very good time.

13. I started this year on a doll break. They've been sitting quietly in their boxes or on their shelf and I've just done other things. I still think about them and think of doing things with them but it's not as much as it used to be. Soon enough I'll be in a doll mood again and play with them again.

Looking at my history of serious interest and hobbies I've never parted with the major ones, especially dolls and figures. There have been a few where I've realized I'm not getting any enjoyment and washed my hands of it and been all the better for it. Others have gone away under the bed for many years because I can't part with them. It's a decision you have to make for yourself.

14. I have lost interest only once with all my dolls in the past.....I packed all my favourites away & sold ones I never bothered with. Once I started showing interest in dolls again, I was so pleased I kept my favourites otherwise I'd have had huge regrets & would've been so sad. I never once regretted selling the ones I never bothered with ;)

My advice to anyone loosing interest is, never part with your favourites & pack them away until you're absolutely 150% sure you are never going to go back to dolls ;)

15. Even if I lost interest in the activities I could never sell my doll, I'm just too emotionally attached to her. Much like my old plushies from when I was a child, I don't play with them anymore, but I still have them and I could never get rid of them

16. If I would loose interest in my dolls, I would store them safely and then later return to them. My hobby activities come in waves, so it's never truly lost. And just as Loreley, I could never be albe to get rid of them, just like my plushies.

17. I actually lost interest in my dolls for a good five years! I think you have to be really dedicated to the hobby to peruse it, because there can be a hell of a lot of money involved... not just for the dolls themselves, but for clothes, wigs, shoes, eyes etc. I didn't sell any of them though, which is fortune because I own a lot of Luts dolls that can't get any more! I even have a Serendipity Sharmin and a Serendipity Alice that were discontinued whilst I was still in the hobby back in the day.

There is a lot of emotion involved for people I think, which is why losing interest in your dolls can be quite a hard topic to think about. But I think I always knew I would eventually come back to them at the right time... and here I am ^_^

18. If I'm going to lost interest in my doll, I will keep it inside box, wrapped nicely and store it somewhere inside my bedroom.
      I don't think I will sell it unless I have lot of dolls and I'll just keep my really favorite one( two or three maybe).

I'm pretty sure I'll come back to the BJD hobby since I have lot of experience in losing and back to a hobby.

19. When I lose interest in a doll, I give it a period of time to see if my feelings change, and if I still feel uninterested, I sell that doll.

If I ever felt that way about all of my dolls or "dolls" as a concept, it would probably me time for me to move on from this as a hobby. I have really enjoyed my dolls during the time I've owned them, even when I'm not really active in the hobby (as in, not taking pictures, keeping my dolls stored rather than displayed, not changing their outfits, etc.), but it could change some day.

20. once i lose interest in a doll... i sell it without hesitation