1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the deciding factor in adopting a doll?

Jul 19, 2011

1. When actually buying my first doll, I have done a good share of research. This means, which dolls are sold by which company, which companies I like (marketplace was never really an option for me). During this time my preference regarding the type of doll emerged. So only a handful dolls was left over.

But there are always surprises. Everything was crystal clear to me...until a new company issued its first doll. I really liked the body, but this was not sold seperately at first. But what to put on this gorgeous body as a head? I finally found one which is (IMO) very similar to my first choice.

But I read so many times you should not - as a beginner - start with a hybrid doll. Especially not if the result cannot be predicted proportion- and resin-match-wise.

Anyways, I did exactly this. Bad girl, I know. Maybe I will have to pay the price of a not perfect resin match and a bobble-headed doll. But I know this, so I guess its okay.

I wanted exactly this doll, as I had already several ideas in my mind for him. Plus the bonus of jointed hands...yummy.

Right now I have no plans for any further dolls, as I have no ideas for one.

2. I only buy dolls in the marketplace when it's:
      a) the sculpt I was looking for in the first place
      b) a good deal.

Of course, by then I know what sculpts swept me of my feet. I'm not going for anything less.

3. Out of my three boys, only one I adopted from here on the marketplace. He cost me only a little less than my other boys, but that wasn't my reason for buying him at all. I fell in love with his sculpt, mods, and faceup from a few gallery posts that one of his previous owners had posted. When I searched for a new one, I was devastated to know that he had been sold! I stalked the marketplace like crazy after that, and after a few short weeks, the new owner posted him for adoption! Of course, I didn't hesitate, and I ended up adopting him right away :D

He's really unique and beautiful, and if it was a non-modded doll who I could easily buy new, then I might not have bought him. But I knew that I would never, ever find a doll like him! So really, it was his beauty and uniqueness that was the deciding factor for me ^^

4. I typically look for dolls with a character in mind and then its a matter of falling in love with the doll. I'm very impulsive so I make myself wait about a week (if possible depending on availability or if its in the market place ).

Some dolls I thought I was immediately in love with / suited a character, but after several days of looking at the doll and other pictures of the sculpt I might find that I didnt really like it as much as I thought I did. Then there are the ones I just can't stop looking at and I know they are going to come home : )

5. This is once something passes the 'ooh shiny, I like that!' obvious step that kicks off the rest.

1. Is it long since sold out?
      --If yes, see marketplace.
      ----Are there any available?
      ------If yes, see second consideration.
      ------If no, keep looking.
      --If no, see dealer or company site, and move on to second consideration.

2. Can I afford it?
      --If yes, consider it, move on to #3.
      --If no, try not to think about it, there's always something else out there.

3. Is it going to mesh with the others in the group?
      --If no, think about it more.
      ----If I forget about it in a short while, I don't need it.
      ----If it continues to haunt me utterly (Pipos Charlotte, I am looking right at you here...) nab it anyway and just set it somewhere on its own.
      --If yes...
      ----If it is a limited edition, order it now to save the angst of the secondary market (which I call the '$econdary markup' for a reason).
      ----If it is a standard edition...
      ------Order now if funds are ample enough to cover it along with other projected purchases, if it is a special event deal (free faceup/extra parts/extra low introductory price/etc.), or otherwise awesome enough to be willing to pass up on later limiteds likely coming soon.
      ------If funds aren't ample enough, or other conditions aren't met, add to wishlist and wait until they are.

That's basically my thought process on the whole thing.