1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the limit??

May 26, 2010

1. I would NEVER spend more than 300. For one, I can't imagine spending that much on anything. I know my phone (a motorola cliq) was 300 dollars, and it didn't hurt so much because it's extremely versatile. But anyway, off topic. LOL. I don't know. I'm a bit of a sucker for said 'cheap' molds. A lot of them attract me more than the fancy ones. And a lot of people say it's quality you're buying. Sure, but there are quite a few people who have never tried owning a 'cheap' doll so they don't necessarily have a say in that.
      Second of all, ABJDs are popular because of their customization. I've said before on another topic, you can change them and make them look like WHATEVER YOU WANT. I've seen quite a few photographs of popular dolls that don't compare to the beauty of a 'cheap' doll because the owner took the time to customize them and make them truly unique.
      No, I'm not saying anything bad about those people that buy expensive dolls. If you love it, go ahead. I just personally wouldn't do it because there's too much of a risk of it getting damaged and my being upset about it for ages. LOL.

2. I've never thought about it before. It really depends on the doll and how much I want it. I'd certainly balk at 2000.

3. I think this view will change usually as you get into the hobby, if you can't imagine spending so much now you probably will spend that much later. I'm the type that rather have one doll that I think is godstriking beautiful rather than a couple of dolls that is merely 'pretty.'

I think my personal limit is still more or less the same $1500ish for a fullset. I haven't topped it yet but come close at the $1.1K mark for a nude doll. Will I pay that much again? Depends on the doll. Some dolls if I adore them I will pay a high price for them, if its a doll I simply 'like' then I wouldn't like I will generally pay more for a boy I want than a girl. The only doll that might get me to break my limit is Volks Reisner other than that no doll is worth me personally paying that much. Like I refuse to pay more than $350 for a tiny thats not a Yo-SD but I will pay $500 for a Yo. I will pay $400ish for a mini and normally about $600-700 for a SD. These are blank amonts as I don't like calculating clothes etc. Everything else wouldn't get calculated because they're never 'done' so I don't find it as part of the initial cost.

4. I think my limit is $800. I have Soom MA so it's impossible to buy him for less. May be $1000 for a doll I want very much.

5. My most expensive doll, so far, was my Akando. He cost me something around 700 USD. Setting a limit is a very smart thing. However, my limit isn't a certain amount of money but rather
      - whether I really want a doll badly enough to shell out a load of money for it
      - whether I got enough money in my "doll piggy bank" to get the doll.

If not, then I won't get it. I'm not aiming to have a large collection of dolls (too little space) or getting every doll that makes me go "oooh, cute!". I'd rather give it some thought and get less dolls but get them to keep them kinda "forever". Not to just buy them so I got them and then, sell them again when I realise I don't actually like them as much as I thought. E.g.: Provided I had the money saved, I wouldn't hesitate to get my "dream doll" - a Volks SD FCS-38 or FCS-40 - even though it would cost much more than any of my other dolls. I would never get a Soom Monthly Doll - e.g. - however, just because I thought it looks great - not even if I had the money available.

6. I don't have a limit. If I really love a doll, I will find a way to buy it. Fortunately, most of the dolls I want aren't terribly expensive.

7. Seeing dolls at over $650 makes me groan but I just bought one from the market place for $733. Honestly if it's $1000 or over I won't do it but I think anything up to that I'd do. Although when I see a doll I really love I have a case of 'you want that much for it? Okay! I'll give you that much! Here you go!' So... I just have to hope I don't fall in love with anything really expensive.

8. I don't set limits either. I have all types of dolls in my collection, including my IH Lion fullset who was my first purchase and ended up costing me AU$1300+ including shipping, customs, fees, etc. On the other end of the scale, I have hybrids, Migi and K-doll heads on F-doll bodies. I buy brand new and second hand. So, I guess, for me, it's all about the doll. If I want it, I will pay what it costs, no matter what end of the price scale it sits at.

I think the least I've ever paid for a doll is just under $300, the highest is my Lion (previously mentioned) but offer me my dream doll and see just how high I will go to get a doll I really really want :lol:

9. I don't set limits either. If I like a doll (or anything else) I just weigh up the price against how much pleasure it will bring me. I dont know if a doll could ever make me £2000 happy, though!

10. Every time I set a limit I end up breaking it.... so I stopped doing it.
      I am not brave enough to tell you how much I paid for my Souigintou :P

Anyway I thing everyone has his/her own doll rules.
      I can't tell 'I won't pay more than this for a doll' because dolls for me are priceless when I fall in love with one...
      The only thing that stops me is my hubby who reminds me we aren't millionaire :D

Taty

11. Technically, if i would have had the money, the sky would be the limit.

Since I'm not rich, my most expensive one was 850, shipping and customs included.

12. I've learned not to set a limit.

I did and went over it after a few months.
      Learned the hard way "never say never".
      (luckily my taste is runs toward the smaller bjds and I can sew)

13. Hmmm... I have to ponder this a little- I guess my limit depends on the doll, for example, I'd pay up to like $1800 for a Tan Musedoll Re-che, (he's super duper rare, so he'd be totally worth it.) I wouldn't however, spend that much on any other doll. For basic or even limited dolls, I probably wouldn't spend over $600 - if only because all the dolls I want are in or under $570-$600. I don't like the idea of paying more than that for any doll except Re-che, especially when pretty much all the others I want would cost a good bit less. And I generally can't think of a single doll over $600 base price that I would absolutely need to have...

14. I would not buy a doll that cost 800$. But with all the the accessory,clothes,wig..And If I calculate the price of each doll..I spended much more than 800..:sweat
      Limit are easy to break..

15. Depends on size of doll and new verses used. For my big ones I have spent as much as $1000 and that is just doll, no wig, eyes or clothes. For my tinies no more then $400 but they come with wigs and such. Naked would have a limit of $300. Of course now loving the smaller ones so once my Uni girl arrives she will be the last one in the SD size.

16. While I've yet to get my first doll, I think my limit would be about $900 for a doll and the things I get for it at that same time. As of now, I will be spending a little over 700 for the doll itself as well as his starting outfit, extra eyes, wig, and possibly shoes. I hope to one day order a Dollshe Rosen head and DS18M body which alone will be over 700, so I think 900 is a fair limit that will also allow me a greater range of dolls.

17. I don't have a limit. If I really like something, I won't stick to limits. n_n;; Luckily I haven't yet encountered something I would want to spend thousands of dollars on. However, I don't spend money I don't have, so I know that I wouldn't dig myself into debt or poverty.

18. Right now my most expensive doll is my Delf Shiwoo. The $450 I spent on him seemed like so much money at the time. I do tend give myself a price limit when looking for dolls. I guess anything over $1000 would seem super expensive. I've yet to reach that limit but I'm sure there will be a doll sooner or later that grabs me and my wallet.

19. For me, the limit depends on the doll itself, and how much that particular doll is worth to me. For most of my dolls, my limit is $500 or less, but there are two "special dolls" in my collection that I paid considerably more for.

20. I actually had a limit of $700. Then I bought Cuprit which was literally twice as much (with shipping...I think more than twice as much.) However, purchasing her cut out three or four other dolls I was planning on buying that were all around $700! Instead of a per-doll limit I actually work with an entire hobby limit for $4k. That way I can shuffle the money into whatever pot I want to put it in, eliminating others from the wishlist, etc.

I find this works way better than a per-doll limit, and it gets me the dolls I really, REALLY want, and forces me to sell dolls that need a new home like my Dolkot--that put a couple hundred dollars back into my hobby fund (though she isn't sold yet--I just count it as money back in the fund) and will allow me to spend more on commissioned costumes and few extra outfits here and there.