1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the limit??

May 26, 2010

1. $500 seems like a good limit, I think that's about where mine's at too. (For a completely blank, nude doll.) A doll would have to be REALLY special for me to go higher than that. For example, I've been considering a big Dollshe boy, but the price still has me wavering between yes and no. D: If only they'd come out with a mini! Honestly, for me, a bigger doll does not justify the huge jump in price, so a big doll seems kind of like a waste of money. I have the same limit for an SD as an MSD.

2. My limit has been about $500 - $600 for a blank doll. I've maintained that limit aside from a lovely LE I got, but I eventually sold most of his parts. XD

3. For a completely blank, nude doll 500$ would be my limit, if not below that. The only exception I'd ever make would be for Soom... because... it's Soom D: (and I'd be incredibly proud of myself if I were to ever earn that much for such an incredible sculpt XD;; )
      But even then I feel a doll's size comes in to play for me, personally.
      I'd never pay over 350$ for an MSD sized doll, or over $250-300 for a Tiny(and the tail end of that limit would be for the "larger" tinies).
      So the 500$ limit would be for SD sizes and such.

Does that sound weird? :sweat

4. I tried to limit my spending for my first doll, but that didn't seem to work. I ended up spending a lot more than I had planned. I agree with the others, $500-600 is probably my max if I ever did buy another. It seems to me that you sort of get what you pay for in this hobby. So I'm not too stressed that I spent so much.

5. I guess around $1000 if it included shipping....but I would need to absolutely LOVE. To spend that much money, the doll has to be absolutely perfect! :lol: Preferably, I'd like dolls to be <$650 with make-up.

6. Limits depend on the dolls I'm most attracted to... which so far seem to be a dolls around $700 to $800 or up if they include extras like faceups and wigs and eyes and outfits... I've broken the $1,000 mark a few times when it includes all the extras. I think the bare dolls would still be under $1,000, though.

I don't believe in settling for two $500 dolls when I could have one I adore for $1,000. But I do agree that if you love a doll, $500 is fine. But if you believe that, then why shouldn't $1,000 be fine, too? The same amount of money is involved with two $500 dolls and one $1,000 doll... If you just wait up to save the whole amount, then it should be possible for people who are tight budgets... just a matter of waiting longer to save up.

BUT--hey, limits are fine if that works for you!

I'm just glad I haven't been dying for some doll that's THOUSANDS of dollars... I'm not sure what I would do then... I guess I'd try and not buy anything for a few years and save up the money! So far most dolls will be around or below the $1,000 range, though. It's only the really few exceptions that are above. So my limits really aren't limits. Mostly I decide based on what I can afford and how much I want the doll!

7. I try to be reasonable with my doll costs. If it's something unique that perfectly suits a character who is dear to me, then I'll just have to save longer. It's not the amount so much as the time it takes to save a greater amount of money. The longer the time, the more I have to work for it, and the more time I have for the "Ooo, shiney!" effect to wear off and consider if it's what I really want.

My mother always said: "If you buy something only because it's cheap, you just throwing your money away."

8. I don't have a theoretical limit like that. It's all about the doll for me. Sure, I haven't fallen in love with (and had the cash to pay for at the same time) a doll that costs more than $700 yet...but that's just happenstance. There are a few dolls in the 1.5-3k range that I'd like if I could get the money together, and the only thing stopping me from going higher would be whether or not I loved the doll. The flip side is, there are lots of dolls that I wouldn't buy, even if they were on sale for $50. I think it's important to think about each doll, what it's worth to you, rather than come up with arbitrary numbers that are "too high."

9. I would have to say $400-$500. I just couldn't bring myself to spend more than that on a doll. My size is MSD, and if I spent more than that on something that size, or SMALLER, I'd need to shake myself into some new priorities.

So far, that's what my dolls are totaling once you take into account the doll+wig+eyes+clothes for the little buggers... and I feel lucky for that! But they're never satisfied with one outfit, are they?? And my dolls have more furniture than me! *sigh* So, no more than $500 on a doll itself, and hopefully a steal on the extras, or I wouldn't be able to spend anything on myself!

10. I don't have a limit. I've purchased a doll that cost me well over $1000 to put together before I even started on any customization for her, none of my collection has actually been on the cheap side, and right now I have on my wishlist a doll whose after market price seems to be hovering around $2000. The satisfaction of owning that doll is worth the price tag for me.

For me, I always ask myself if I love the particular doll that much that it is worth the price tag for me, and then ask myself how I would feel if I spent that much and then the doll is rereleased. If I don't care because I'd just be happy I got the damn doll, then the price is fine for me. If I don't, then the price is not right and I wait until I find it for one that is.

There are whole dolls I wouldn't pay $50 for or even take if you offered it to me for free, and then there are pairs of doll eyes that I would happily pay $100 for.

It's all about how much it is worth to you.

11. When I first entered this hobby my limit was at about $2,200 per doll. Since then, a lot of things have changed. Mainly the fact that I bought a few expensive dolls right off the bat, found out I didn't like them as much as I thought and took huuuuge hits trying to resell them. :sweat Now I won't pay over $1,000 per doll, this budget includes the doll, eyes, wig, outfit, shoes, and custom face-up. For the doll it's self I won't pay more than $600 including shipping.

12. I have 3 moderately priced dolls now - all under $300. But I've loved Dollstown girls for quite a while, and I always thought that the DT 'girl of my dreams' would be my limit. Now I've fallen in love with the Dollshe Saint and 32s body ssoooo the scale has slid up to $750, lol. To me that is just over £500, and that would be my comfort zone for a single purchase of a blank doll. I also feel once I have a DT girl and DS boy, I will put my time and money into making them as beautiful as possible, and I don't think I would need to buy more than 2 'high maintenance' dolls in that upper price range.

13. I was thinking, I would never go over $700 for a doll (itself) but I just made a liar of myself and split for a Volks Okita 2 which cost me $1600. I did it without layaway too since I hate layaway... But I think he'll be sticking to his default stuff for a while...

14. Well, I fall in love with the Dreaming Doll Molly, she will cost 620 &#8364; (about $762 ), so i think later my limit will be 700 &#8364; / about $860. It's all about hard saving *lol*

15. I wouldn't say that I have a set limit. It really depends on how much I have saved up at the time and how much I love the sculpt. I do sometimes pause to think about how much else I could be getting if it's a doll that's more pricey, but so far all the dolls I've spent an arm and a leg on have not disappointed me and I don't regret it in the slightest.

16. Erm, I don't know, my latest addition cost me $1200 because he was LE and comes with a couple of extras, but he was worth it.

For me, I don't set a limit when spending on a doll if I think he/she is worth it, if I am financially able at that moment of course, a person still have to eat, you know. ;)

17. My current limit is around $700-1000 but when I get a job I guess it would be almost limitless, still i would have to control myself. If it is Shinku i will try to come up w/ the money but will still haggle w/ the price.

18. For me my limit is about 1,600 for one doll. I already spent 1,500 on a doll before a couple times actually XD. But close to 1,600 is my limit. This is because I do love volks and the more expensive dolls and I plan to buy exactly the dolls I dream of ^^

19. Until today my highest limit has been $720 for a BJD, without counting his $135 extra head I also bought and also without shipping cost, but usually the limit I follow is slightly lower than that. Of course it depends on your pocket and on your likes, but in my opinion on common sense too. For me the best is spending on what you may afford that deserves it, which is more than worthy, to you.

20. I tend to not want to spend $900 or more on a doll, ever. I've probably spent near to that much if I added things up, but since my SD dolls use mostly stuff I've made them, none of them really have a long expense list of accessories. My most expensive doll to date has been the Aoi Tuki body I got.