1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the limit??

May 26, 2010

1. My limit ended up being $735 once shipping was figured in. He was my first and currently only doll, and the first doll I ever found that I really loved. I figured it was better to stretch and get the most expensive first instead of settling with something else just because it was cheaper. I definitely don't regret that decision! I do want one more doll in the future, but I know I'll never buy one for over $400 again.

2. I tend to take into account the entire package including clothing, wig, shoe and eyes. And I am not from the US so I also need to factor in the exchange rate as well. A naked doll costing USD$600, if including shipping+all the extra likes wig, clothes, etc, can hit as high as SGD$1000, which is not exactly cheap to me and can eat up almost all of my salary. So until I get a better-paying job or have the means to, my limit is roughly around $300 total for tinies and MSD (though my first MSD cost more than that) and around $600 total for larger dolls. Of coz, if there is a doll I really like that costs a little more, I'd consider buying it on a 2-3 mth layaway, even then, I'd probably stop at $650 as the maximum (at least for now XD). Like, I really love Soom last monthly Monzo but he was way too high so I had to pass him over. :(

3. Me, too. So I don't relate to the idea of "I'd rather buy two smaller ones" very much. I want to buy things that I love, not just buy quantity.

I wouldn't say that there's a price I'm unwilling to pay in theory, because something that's worth it is worth it. It's more like there's a price beyond which it would take ME (given my financial circumstances) too long to save up to make it worth it for a doll. If I had more money, I'm sure my willing-to-pay price would be higher; and if I had less money, I'm sure my willing-to-pay price would be lower. So it's not like I think there's a point of "too much for a doll to be worth it", just a point of "too much in my present financial arrangement to be worth it". Maybe, for me, a more meaningful measure-- one that would translate into a more universal communication about what is/isn't worth it for people-- would be "How long are you willing to save up for a doll"?

4. I have had 4 BJDs but only have two now. I paid the most for my second Hound; he was 1200. And worth every penny. But..I was able to put him on layaway so that was really helpful. I think something is worth whatever you feel it is. Also agree with the poster that said I'd rather have on expensive doll I really love than two or three that I don't.

5. My absolute limit on a doll is $500 (although ideally I prefer dolls in the mid 400's), before wigs/clothes/eyes/shoes etc. I went over on my Abadon, but I bought the head and body separately and at different times, so it was fine. It's not that I can't afford anything more expensive, it's just that I think anything above that for a doll is excessive and could be spent elsewhere - specifically, it could go to my monthly charity pool instead.

6. larien your rather generous OO I would put that money into my doll fund XP Does any1 else agree with me Xx?

7. My limit is probably about a grand but honestly I doubt I'll find a doll I love enough to go that high. I like some volks but I've seen some other brands that I really like who have qualities similar to the volks I like so I think unless I got a killer deal or hit rich - I'd be going with them and be more than happy. So far the more expensive dolls I want are around $650 shipped naked with a face-up. It's abit depressing but they're SD13 so it's not so bad for the size. I'm thinking I'll have a doll limit as well, i don't like clutter for one - and then it forces me to spoil and appreciate the ones I have. Its more monetarily safe as well. If there's a doll I REALLY fall for - I'll have t decide if I want them enough to sell off one of the ones I have or not. If not - they can wait or I can do without. I tend to sell things in order to get new things, means I don't horde and spend less of my actual income :D

8. My limit appears to be $400. Right now my most expensive doll (and hopefully will not be getting any more besides the ones I have and a tiny) is.. er.. well I don't have the body yet, but when I do, he'll have been a total of 380 after shipping, unless I can find the body secondhand (which would be nice...). My other was a total of 257 after shipping. I'm one of those people who buys heads I like, and finds a body I like among the cheaper ones. I'm lucky to have any dolls at all, so for me, buying a cheaper body is how I can live with myself :P I'm not a big spender so any way I can make the weight less is good for my conscience xP The tiny I want is the new R.Pi basic cat, which.. uh.. I dunno how much it'll be yet but I'm hoping 300 or less... in any case, certainly not 400 so I am under my limit.

And after that, there are no dolls on my wishlist.

9. What I call my "soft limit" for 1/3 scale dolls is $500, absolute limit is $650, but generally I prefer $150-350 for 1/3 scale dolls. For MSD scale I won't pay over $450, for tinies $350, smaller tinies even less. I just don't feel it's reasonable for a doll to cost more that that. For me, there's acceptable level of profit and excessive level of profit. I never have held to paying more just for a brand name, whether it's clothing, cars or dolls.

10. If I truly wanted a doll, the idea that "this money might be better given to charity" wouldn't stop me, and it especially wouldn't cause me to settle for something cheaper. I'd say to myself, "Instead of forbidding myself to buy this doll that's too expensive, buying a cheaper one, and contributing the rest to charity, I'll forbid myself to buy this doll that's too expensive, contribute half to charity, and NOT buy a cheaper one, but put that money in a jar. Then, later, I'll forbid myself to buy another doll that's too expensive, contribute half of that to charity, and put the other half in the jar. Now I have enough for the expensive one." Because then I've given as much to charity as I would have given them by getting cheaper dolls; and if I really wanted something, I'd rather wait for it than get something lesser.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you want something badly enough that you're willing to wait long enough for it, denying yourself that thing is not really helping anyone IMHO. Making regular contributions to charity is helping people, yes. But not allowing yourself to eventually find a way to do what you want more than what you don't want... that doesn't save anyone. That's just how I see it.

11. I don't like throwing ridiculous amounts of money at something like a doll when I could be doing something more useful. I have yet to "want" any doll that badly and I don't see it as "denying" myself anything and I certainly don't want a doll MORE than I want to donate or help my mom with her biils, or buy something horse related instead, etc. I guess dolls just don't mean as much to me as they do to others here. I mean if I see a sculpt I like, I'll think, "oh that's nice, it'd be cool to have" but I wouldn't sit and agonize over how much I wanted it and how it was over my cost limit. I guess what I was really trying to say (and was using charity as an example, you can also add to that category for example OTHER "wants," like a new barrel racing breast collar or something else I'd prioritize over a doll, which is almost everything, actually) is that in MY opinion, no doll I have seen AND want/like well enough to buy is worth TO ME over 500 dollars. And I'm not saying anyone else should feel that way, it's just me.
      And I personally have NEVER bought a "cheaper doll" for the sake of having another doll, for the record. Nor would I ever do such a thing and I don't advocate this practice, I am actually a believer in people getting what they want if it's in their means. Don't go into debt over 'em xD.

12. I believe it is important to set a limit on all kinds of limits. Although I love dolls and love my boys, I will not let the expense affect my daily lives. I think it is not wise to excess the limits you can afford.

13. I never thought about a cap... really if I wanted a doll I would do anything in my power to get it. But realistically speaking, I think I would stop at $1,000. I'm not really the kind of person who throws around money like its no problem, but if something makes me happy I work to get for it. But the fact that I have a pretty low income being a student, for now my cap is $1,000. After that I think its just ridiculous, I'll just buy a cheaper doll I like and mod it if I need to. Its hard to balance wants with responsibility for me sometimes.

14. My limit is $1500. I refuse to pay more that on that on a doll but I already have two times before on Volks Genji and Williams, so I guess it depends, but I really don't see myself going over that amount again, ever!

15. Man. I thought I'd never break the $1K mark but I did with bells, whistles, flair and noise just recently... Hijikata's sitting behind me with his splendiferous $1500 pricetag. O_O Good grief.

And what's sad is that I'd half decided that no doll was worth that much and I'd have to resell him as soon as he got here. Opened the box, made eye contact and that's all there was to THAT story. I don't think I've had a doll make such an indelible impression since my very first one (a DZ Megi who I purchased 2nd hand for $200). :)

16. I don't have any 'set' limits but I've noticed that in my doll browsing I have limits in terms of size. It's not set in stone, but it's the general guideline I find myself going by. If a doll is over my limit I tend to be very analytical about the pros-cons of it and if I -really- like it and want it. I'm not one to buy a doll because I think it's 'pretty' or 'nice', even $100 is a lot of money to me. So I only buy the dolls that I really feel a desperate need for (that sounds horrible because I don't really 'need' anything but yeah... it's the best way to describe how serious I have to be about a doll before I buy it).

Limits for dolls are -
      Dolls under 25cm: $200
      25cm - 35cm: $300
      35cm - 45cm: $400
      50ishcm: $500

17. After at least I go to college and have a job myself..I don't think I'll set a limit..(cause I want Williams, Cecile, Tohya, Kohya,..xD)..I won't set a limit for a sculpt that I really really love..
      With usual sculpt though..I'd say
      800$ for SD
      600$ for MSD
      500$ for tiny
      Unfortunately..I've never fall in love with doll in that price range..so I guess it is useless. Ha!
      Besides..the more high the price..the more fun it takes to saving up. For me at least.

18. My limit is currently $2500 (which is around 2 months pay for me). That price is set based on the last Volks Kurumi I saw up for sale. Anything more is just...I can't bring myself to do it. I want a Shinku head to make my own original fan fic character as I need the large eyes with the shape Shinku has. But would I pay that amount for just a head? Heck no. I want a full set doll for that price. The previous limit was $1000, but that quickly went away as my 2 Yos were over $700 a piece secondhand and now with me wanting a Dollmore Dahlia (which basic just face up, eyes, wig, default from company is $1400 without shipping), the limit had to be raised.

I just stopped caring about the price tag unless it got insane. Like I know a Kurumi brand new from Volks is around $700, but her full sets are more so just stick it around $1000. I'm willing to pay double that as I missed my chance straight from the company. Anything more isn't worth it. The base valuer of the doll is what makes the limit. So if tomorrow I find a Soom Beryl at $3000, I'll whine a bit yes, but hey I missed my shot the first time around so I got to learn to eat it.

19. The price is still keeping me from 100% committing to buying a doll.>< I can't justify $500 for a 40cm plaything that's more than twice the price of my brand new computer (which can do a lot more things than a doll...). We'll see, though. Maybe I'll buy it in parts, buy second-hand, and pay my sister to craft some well-sewn outfits.

20. I thought I had a limit until I found a Sard on the market place. Then my limit got thrown out the window.
      I must admit, I'd never pay that amount for any other doll, my reasoning being that Sard has and always will be my grail doll.
      Right now however, I tend to think hard about spending anything over $500 for a doll.