1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the limit??

May 26, 2010

1. I won't spend more than $1700 a year on the entire hobby. Sometimes this means I buy only one doll, eyes, wig and an outfit, most of the time it means that I don't even reach that limit.

2. I don't really set a limit for myself.
      But, right now, I set the limit of not buying any more dolls for a while. (With the exception of a Heliot head if I find one~ *wants a boy as well* )
      I went a bit dolly crazy, and now I'm forcing myself to take a break and only spend money on dolly upgrade.

After that... well... A doll costing more than $1500 probably won't make it to my home.

3. It's not a set limit -- it depends on the doll and what my finances happen to be. My most expensive was I believe $670, and provided I had the funds and it was a doll I really wanted, I would be willing to pay more than that. Right now, though, I'm not financially stable enough to make a purchase that large. However, as my financial situation changes so will my doll buying I'm sure.

4. For me the limit is relative to both the doll and my financial situation.

The more I like a doll, the more I am happy to pay for it, but I try to be careful not to go too high. Why get one doll of my wish list when I could get two off it for the same amount?
      Of course how much money I need, or want to put aside, for the month or year plays a big factor in my purchases, after my last doll I have had to say no more for another 4 months atleast so I can get my saving back on track.

5. I don't have a limit, If I want a doll and can afford it I will pay the ammount asked for it.. but I'm broke right now, so saying this doesn't really count. I have spent about 900 usd on an sd that I no longer plan on keeping, because sd's are just not my size, however pretty they are.
      so, right now, I'd say my limit would be arround 400 usd, because its a sum I can reach within a shorter period. that, and I tend to be more interested in msd's and also dolls that aren't limited. I try very hard not to look at to many dolls, because I really like to have lots of dolls XD but of course can't afford more than say, 1 a year at the moment.
      I did set a TIME-Limit for myself: no more dollies this year unless I sell my sd XD (technically cheating, I know)

6. In all honesty I don't exactly have a limit...well okay fine maybe 700? Lets just say budget and conversion makes the price...not as spectacular as it can be, (Seriously, US money converted back to my country is a serious bomb!) there are indeed dolls that I love so very much but are somehow, almost always over 700. (Though most of the time actually they are limited and out of stock XD)

But I can see the reason for their huge prices, unfortunately I can only dream for dolls like that ^w^ *I'm quite content with that thought I do sometimes lament and woe and get depressed...of course it never lasts*

Thought mainly, I might just cave at times, but meh, most of the time my dolls are bellow the limit of 700, anyways, pretty much I'm the kind of person that goes, "Yeah the doll is gorgeous! Yet it matters only if you like it!" seeing as I am such a glutton for being a leader in stuff like this than someone who limits themselves. Though it's up to personal opinion.

7. I don't set boundaries as such, it's more like "is the doll _really_ worth that money for me?" kind of thing. E.g. there is a doll that costs around 1.5k on the second-hand market (OK, it's a Volks SDC) - she is amazing, but I would never spend this much on her, because I know that she would just be sitting there collecting dust. For me, she is just an amazing sculpt with a lot of expression, but I cannot see any character behind her.
      And then there is the Dollshe Hound for a pretty much similar (if not higher) price. For me - a "must have" at some point in time because I suddenly realized that he perfectly fits one of my characters. Maybe I will find a mold that would fit much better, but right now i can't do anything more than put him into the doll range I am planning to buy.

Generally, however, it would be around $400-500 for a MSD / SD doll, nude and w/o face-up.

8. I really like this :) I've never thought of limiting my actual hobby spending. That is quite smart :)

9. My most expensive doll including clothes, wig, shoes, and undies was $998. D: So I guess my ultimate limit is $1,000.... but I prefer to buy dolls about $500 or less...

10. My top limit is $1000. My most expensive (so far) was $804 before extras (wig, clothes), and the 'dream' doll on my list will probably come in around $900. But I don't think I'd be comfortable going much beyond that.

I MIGHT make an exception if I was in a situation where I had the extra money. But I think it would take a really special doll to persuade me, even if I had the money.

11. I have to say 2k is my absolute limit. I can't even see myself paying anything close to that. Doll must come with busloads of stuff if i'm going to get anywhere close to that number.

12. I found myself asking this question when I was given a bit over $1000 for graduating this past May, as well as my first doll as a present from my mom. I had a slight dilemma planning what I wanted to do with the money, as I'm a quite compulsive buyer. However, I had my doll wishlist all made up after EXTENSIVE searching so ultimately it came down to those seven, but between them, it was also hard for me to choose. I have a dream doll for one of my characters, you see...Volks Irvin. And on the marketplace recently I found one, for $890+shipping. For him, that's not a bad deal, and I was almost heartset on buying him on the spot. But then I thought that I could surely find a sculpt that would be nearly as good, because I was absolutely not ready to spend that much on one doll. So instead, I bought three dolls, faceup supplies, a carrying case, and several outfits/shoes/etc. for each of them as well as my first doll. Now I'm over halfway done with my wishlist and will have well-clothed dolls, and I feel that I definitely made the right decision. I think my limit is $400, as at the moment I haven't gone over that in a single order.

13. Recently I have set a limit of around $1000 for a doll, but I have no intention to set a limit on doll clothes and accessories, so...there's actually no limit on this hobby. :XD:

14. For me its more like 'Do I have the will to save for that? Do I want it that badly?' Sort of thing.

15. When I first joined the hobby the limit was $400 and only if I was allowed a long layaway.
      These days my limit is $150-200 and yes you can get a beautiful doll in parts from the marketplace for about that.

However my recent frankendoll is going above my cap due to the costs of individual parts. It seems acceptible because I usually raise spare money by selling off other things before buying any new doll things. I try not to let the hobby touch my actual bank account.

That being said though sometimes I think I could be tempted by a limited edition Iplehouse doll if 1) I had a proper job and 2) there was a long layaway.

16. Ha ha... my limit used to be about $800 or so... ._. Well, then I caved and bought my dream doll, he came to about $1700. I thought I'd never spend more than that on another doll, but now I'm thinking perhaps $2000 is my limit. XD; $1000 used to seem pretty scary, but now I find it was worthwhile. Perhaps $2000 isn't so bad either once you do it?

17. I don't have a limit. If I really want a doll, I WILL get it. No matter the cost or how long it takes me to bring it home. I really want Volks William, Resiner (Scarface), and Souseseki/Suiseseki. Those HEADS sometimes topple 1,000 USD. Sometimes more. Then I'd have to buy bodies, eyes, potentially faceups, clothes, shoes, accessories, stands.... The list goes on and on, doesn't it? I have serious devotion to this hobby, and I don't feel like limiting my passion.

I suppose, on the other hand, it would simply be unrealistic for me to spend 2,000 USD on a single doll. Being only 16, that's just ludicrous. I have my future to think of, and chucking that much dough out for a doll wouldn't be the most intelligent decision I'll ever make.

These are all SD sizes I'm talking about though. The only MSD I'd spend that much on would be an Unoa, and she better be pretty flipping awesome and come with a ton of crap. -_-.
      I don't buy YoSDs and really don't have a desire to, unless it's a Volks Hina Ichigo. She's 700, which seems kind of stupid for a Yo IMHO. That's probably the only reason why she's not in my home right now.

I feel as though I've contradicted myself >w<;
      This hobby is so confusing.

18. I guess I'm lucky.... I don't want SDs. At all. So my pricetags come significantly less. In fact, none of the dolls I currently want cost more than $450-500 (if I get factory faceups and sleeping faces, which I know are unnecessary). I know I would never pay more than $600ish for any doll though. I can't justify spending more than that on luxury items at this point in my life, and I'm ok with that. I'm happy with my purchases <3

19. for now my limit for a doll is 4000$, the most expensive I bought is upward 2200$
      since rare dolls are hard to come by, I don't mind paying a premium for it

20. My max all depends on size.
      Smaller dolls- Puki/Yo-SD: $250.
      MSD: $400
      SD: $700

I mainly limit myself because I'm a student. [or a soon to be one, again.]