1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the meaning behind your DOA username? Pt.2

Aug 26, 2019

1. Back from my
      a) serious obsession with Tolkien’s Silmarillion and playing with elvish name generators
      b) neurotic desire to have every possible account with the same username

It’s way over 10 y.o. and means something very pretentious like „starlight’s heir”.

I prefer to shorten it for „Sil” now but have grown fond of it over the years and managed to claim it along many sites - I have no idea what its like to have your desired username taken, haha.

If you find any „silmaryel” elsewhere on the Web, it’s 99% chance it’s me ;)

2. 1) errantry
      : the quality, condition, or fact of wandering
      : a roving in search of chivalrous adventure

2) err
      : to make a mistake
      : to violate an accepted standard of conduct
      archaic : to stray

3) knight-errant (very much in error) :lol:
      According to Don Quixote, a knight-errant also needs a lady to love, and he selects a peasant girl from a nearby town, christening her Dulcinea del Toboso. Thus accoutred, he heads out to perform deeds of heroism in her name.

4) Errantry (speaking of Tolkien obsessions...;))
      He sat and sang a melody
      his errantry a-tarrying;
      he begged a pretty butterfly
      that fluttered by to marry him.
      She laughed at him, deluded him,
      eluded him unpitying;
      so long he studied wizardry
      and sigaldry and smithying.
      He wove a tissue airy-thin
      to snare her in; to follow in
      he made a beetle-leather wing
      and feather wing and swallow-wing.
      He caught her in bewilderment
      in filament of spider-thread;
      he built a little bower-house,
      a flower house, to hide her head;
      he made her shoes of diamond
      on fire and a-shimmering;
      a boat he built her marvellous,
      a carvel all a-glimmering;

3. I've been using my user here on other platforms for a while now, my family had made their way to Canada on the ship the Mayflower, which I thought was kinda cool and it's a pretty name. Ik it's not cool in historical context but I love history and learning stuff about my family. And I graduated in 2019 so yeah

4. The first 2 letters, of my user name, are the last 2 letters of my first name.
      The the last 4 is from the title of a classic children's story. .

5. Okay so I have been on DOA since 2006 and at the time when I created my account I was in High School. So my username can be broken down as follows.

Goth - My style at the time... I was somewhere between Goth and Emo.
      Pony - I owned and rode horses for YEARS and at the time I had 3.
      Doll - This is a reference towards ABJD!

So basically.... Goth kid who owns horses and loves dolls. It's ended up sticking and is also my username on a bunch of other forums etc. that are not ABJD related.

6. Sanar is the name I chose for my elven mage inquisitor when I played Dragon Age Inquisition. I also have a tendency to put words into translators and see what comes out.

'Sanar' is apparently a Spanish word for "heal". I wanted a name that sounded like it could be an obscure elven name, and Sanar just fit to me. She is a person who tries to do what she can to ease suffering as she interprets it, and prefers to remain neutral to avoid conflicts. She doesn't see herself as a leader, but people seem to be drawn to her and often seek her counsel. She considers Cole and Cassandra to be her best friends. Although she was on friendly terms with Solas, they disagreed frequently, leading Sanar to view him as a disapproving father. She did enjoy their conversations though, especially when defending her reasons for her actions and invariably putting him in his place :XD:

[​IMG]

This is the first place I've used the name online. It's simple and recognizable I think, and that's good enough for me :XD:

7. To be completely honest, I was in high school when I made this account 7 years back and can't remember where this name came from for the love of me. Means exactly what it says though.

8. I wanted to start using different nicknames for different things for privacy reasons, but I wanted it to be more personal than say something like "bjd-account-486412" so I figured it should be somehow related to my "main" character and her story. I thought that since she was the main character she would surely be the least likely to change name or style or anything, but in reality, I think she ended up being the very first in my collection to do that. :sweat

Well, I have decided to keep the name Saga on that doll simply because it's too stuck on her, however, all the character she had I've since shelled to my Impldoll Sicily that I'm not quite sure yet what I'll name her, but she just doesn't look like a Saga at all so I couldn't have just simply changed the whole shell with its name included. But, to explain the actual meaning (when I came up with it) behind the name Sagastree, "Saga's tree", it referred to the story in that she planted a magical tree from which some of the other characters were born from, as well as to her family tree that consisted of the rest of the characters. I've since pretty much abandoned the magical tree part of the story, but in other ways trees and the forest she lives in continue to be fairly relevant parts of the story.

Granted, the doll that continues to be named Saga has a small relation to trees/forest in the way of mostly dressing up in mori girl style, so my name can almost still make some sense at least. And I guess in a way it was good that the character itself changed name because it might be why I was finally able to get a grasp on her personality, which is... well, shortly put, she's a horrible person. :sweat So horrible that although her name would make more sense in my own nickname (due to her still being one of the main characters), I really wouldn't want to even sort of share the name with her character at all.

#168 Sagastree, Jun 10, 2023
      Last edited: Jun 10, 2023
    9. Well there's the obvious, that I'm the "black sheep" of the family. I have unusual interests (my icon is a picture I took myself, just one item in a very large collection) and don't get along with a lot of my family members. It's between being ostracized and purposefully keeping my distance.

But then there's the reason that I just really, really love sheep. :)

10. It's the name I've largely gone by in most corners of online fandom for several years now. At the time I picked it, I was very, very into Soviet Space History (and I still am) - but it's a phrase from a poem by Yevgeny Yevtushenko about the turmoil of the 20th century.

11. The easy explanation I give is that Jaedian was my first Dungeons & Dragons character, which she really was, but there's more to the story than that.

I remembering being like 13 or so, and I had just read The Black Jewels trilogy by Anne Bishop, but I was upset because the romance I wanted wasn't the one it got. But I was already into roleplaying online at the time, sooo...I made a character that could have been their daughter. "Jae" came from Jaenelle, one of the main characters of the series, and the "-dian" was more me being extra and seeing that the race of Lucivar - the guy I wanted her to be with - the females all had names that ended in "-ian".

Ta-dahhh, secret confession complete.

12. I'm a chatterbox, hence Blablette: "blabla" with a suffix for female in French, as I am a woman. ^_^

13. Blodeuwedd is the name of a deity from Welsh mythology/folklore, it means ‘flower face’. It has several different spellings and is apparently pronounced Blod-i-eth I think….I’m Scottish not Welsh and only know of that pronunciation through a folk song. Please correct me if I’m wrong.
      I’m usually known as Blod for short wherever I use it.

Like many others I’ve been using this name or a version of it for many many years. I first learned of her in the Slaine stories in the 2000 AD comics that my brother bought. The stories have a lot of Celtic myth woven into them and Blodeuwedd was used to depict the maiden aspect of the triple goddess. I became fascinated by this beautiful, woman with flowers in her hair. I then learned a bit more about her sad tale.

The short version of her legend is that a man was cursed by his mother that he could not take a mortal woman for a wife so instead they summoned or brought one forth by creating her out of certain flowers.
      The man in question became a king and was away a lot leaving this poor creature by herself and she fell in love with another. They plotted to kill the King which involved some specific steps and an elaborate plan (as they always do in mythology) but were caught as they tried to execute it. For her punishment Blodeuwedd was turned into an owl.
      Some see that story as a moral tale against infidelity and fickleness but I don’t. I see it as a reminder that you cannot enslave nature and make it do your bidding. You cannot expect a wild thing to follow your rules, she doesn’t understand them. She may have been bound to him but her heart and soul were not.

Blodeuwedd may not be as well known as the likes of The Morrigan or Cerridwen but she is still associated with late springtime, the May queen, the blossoming of Hawthorn and other spiritually important plants.

14. My nickname since the mid 90's has been Blizzard (Blizz for short) and even partner calls me by that name (It was not inspired by either the gaming company, nor the frozen treat). Az came initially from Azazel (my call sign), which was shortened to Az (I don't live in Arizona). Together "Blizzard of Az" is a reference to Ozzy's album Blizzard of Oz.

I used to always put underscores between the words but I mistyped when I signed up for DOA years ago and got a dash in there instead and they wouldn't let me change that.

15. Mokosza (Mokosh) (Old East Slavic: Мóкошь) is a Slavic goddess, protector of women's work and women's destiny. She watches over spinning and weaving, shearing of sheep, and protects women in childbirth. She is the Mother Goddess.

16. It's "nyaa" and "nein" smashed together. Couldn't tell you why though. :?

17. I wasn't feeling very creative so I just used my name.

18. That's such a cool name though!! Mine is pretty unique (both first and last) so I can't use it publically. :sweat

19. It's the last name of some of my doll characters, and they all live in Mandeline Manor :)

20. It’s just a reference to Mew from Pokémon, specifically the Ancient Mew trading card. ^^