1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the most important factor for you when buying a doll?

Jan 3, 2017

1. The primary reason for me to ever want any doll is liking the head sculpt - from ALL angles. I can live with funny-shaped heads because it gets covered by a wig anyways, but I gotta like the face. Some dolls have this weird slidey face syndrome, where their faces are too low on their heads - and it becomes really apparent in profile when you can see how tiny their chin is! I'm looking for dolls that speak to me and look like they have some emotion going on in the head sculpt. I don't necessarily mean like, sculpted smiles or whatever, but some dolls just look like empty pretty pieces and others actually look that there was emotion put into making them and they continue to express it. That's what I look for.

Next step is liking the body and having it at least be similar enough to the character that with clothes on it would be close enough. The body has to match the stylization of the head too - I cannot stand twiggy necks on otherwise realistic sculpts, while I also really can't stand thick necks on really stylized tinies. I prefer tan dolls so hybriding isn't an option a lot of the time.

Last one is having trust in the artist. I don't care how long the wait is or anything like that as long as I feel like I can trust the person to deliver me the product that's worth my money eventually. I've waited years for doll eyes from a small maker before, the wait isn't a huge deal to me, or constantly dealing with shifting deadlines or whatever, as long as I know that eventually I will get what I paid for. If I don't have that trust, I pass the opportunity.

2. Whether I like the sculpt or not and whether the doll sets off alarms in my head are definitely the most important things for me. A company's reputation and price range are second on the list. I don't like paying for a 'brand name' if you know what I mean? Like, I'm willing to pay for quality but I'm not paying the big bucks just because it has a certain name on it.
      SDs intimidate me also, so I only really shop for MSDs 45cm and under. I'm super into browsing the tinies though! I'd love to have an itty bitty 10cm or something else ridiculous one day. ^-^

3. not really although i would like it if i have the're character and personalty worked out although that's not a definite deal breaker. i bought first and only doll only after i had a name for him, but that was the only thing i had figure out about his character at the time.

4. Sculpt first...If i really like the face sculpt, and the price is something I can afford then I will most likely get it. But I also consider size and body shape in general. I intend to collect only one size (SD size) and stick to one gender (male) so it's easier to do shopping for clothes and accessories for them since they can just swap around.

I don't think much about character, I will just create one based on the sculpt and develop them later ;)

5. First for me is size. I stick to under 45cm and also consider if she'll fit the clothes/wigs I already have.
      Second is the face sculpt. I agree with @Elvenrose, I tend to create a character based on the sculpt.

6. 1. the face

2. the face

3. THE FACE

lol but also I consider if the doll's body is a standard size that will be easy to buy clothes for. I passed on a body I liked because it was non-standard (bigger than the usual SD13, but way smaller than a SD17.) Too much hassle.

lastly, if I have dolls of the same scale already, it is important that they don't look totally strange together.

7. For me, it's more about the beauty of the sculpt. If it comes to characters, I can make new ones to fit the story. I'm also a newb, so I'm just flying by the seat of my pants. I really want my last doll to be an elf boy though.
      Scale is another important factor. I don't like small dolls, mostly. I have a Momo on layaway...and I'm not sure I'll even like her.
      Since my other girls are SD sized, my last boy must be taller than both of my girls. So I'm looking into 72 inch or larger dolls.

8. If I have found a doll that I like,I need to make sure that this is a doll I really want and not because it maybe a really great deal or I have dolly funds and need to spend money. Price is the next deal breaker. If it's not in the budget it doesn't matter how much I want(because it's a want and not a need) the doll is a no go.

9. I totally do this! Ultimately, my biggest considerations are the face and how well the doll fits my characters. Then I'd say it's size (are they in scale with my other dolls?) and how they look stylistically. Being a standard size definitely comes into play for me, too, because I love buying clothes for them. I've made an exception for my Iplehouse SID boy because he's too perfect otherwise, but the others I'd rather have be pretty normal.

10. The face sculpt is the first thing I go by. I have to love it, along with the face-up. I prefer to buy dolls with face-ups. I can never seem to paint them as well. My second consideration would be the size. I like smaller dolls. Third would be the quality of the doll. Quality is important. My first bjd's were lower quality, less expensive dolls and now I regret buying them. I'd rather pay more and have one quality doll rather than buy 2 or 3 of lower quality.

11. 1. sculpt; 2. price; 3. size

12. The sculpt and sometimes the brand, and the doll has to be worth the price given. I probably will not buy if it is more than 500$ with not other accessories or clothes etc.

13. Apart from the sculpt itself, I always check: 1) the size and proportions, as I won't but anything bigger than MSD and it has to fit with the rest, and 2) the price, because I'm still a student so I have a small budget.

14. The skulpt is important but if the body is not beautiful I won't buy a full doll. It is not a problem for me to match resin colors by blushing. I really pay a lot attention to beauty and if the body is beautiful but not poseable, I'll buy it an do some modifications.

15. The sculpt is of course the most important thing. Do I like the head and does it come with a face-up. Then I will check the body, does it look and pose good. For me it is really important that the doll is available through an European dealer, because I don't want to pay huge custom fees. So that would be the next important factor. Resin quality, price and company's / dealer's reputation come after that. Size can be a big factor or a small factor. I have dolls from various size groups, so on the other hand it doesn't matter. But for example when looking for a partner for my SD, of course I wanted him to be and SD size too.

16. I'm kinda picky so I have to LOVE a sculpt. I'm still pretty new too, so I think scale is important to me right now when looking for a doll. So far all the dolls I've wanted are MSD-sized or smaller :sweat but I don't have the space for a bigger doll right now :c

17. I would say since most of my dolls are going to be based on OCs, the sculpts are really important. But so is the availability of clothing, so that weighs some pros and cons (which is why my first doll is a Minifee, easy to get lots of clothes). Although I think after finally owning my first BJD the possibility is really interesting, so I may focus on that next! :3nodding:

18. The look of the sculpt I would say would have to be the most important factor for me! :) Price and size is also important, but I suppose it's more of an after-thought; if I REALLY love the sculpt, I can save up for a while or get used to a different sized doll!

19. Hello
      My choise to sell a doll i looking for her face first

20. I have to love the face first. Size comes second. They can't be too large. And of course if they are way too expensive I'd have to pass.