1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the worst part about being a BJD collector/owner?

Dec 20, 2011

1. The worst thing is trying to justify the costs. *sigh* My doll's clothes alone often costs the same as my own!

2. 1. The increasing numbers of companies who vanish with thousands of $'s of customers money/can't be bothered to solve quality control issues.
      Honestly, this utterly staggers me, where the hell all the good companies went I do not know but I'd really like them all to come back now because it's just getting silly.

2. The legalised THEFT sanctioned by our government that allows Parcelforce to steal from us on importation.
      Where to even begin with Parcelfarce and the fact that anyone outside of the heavily import taxed countries doesn't have a single clue what it's like to be systematically ROBBED because you wanted to import something as simple as a DOLL. A prime example of the latter being that now, I'll get accused of not wanting to pay tax because it's just not understood that it's the subsequent charges unrelated to the tax that we all have issues with, not the actual import tax, although don't get me wrong, that is insanely high and has prevented most of us from importing from outside of the EU. I should just change this one to "IMPORTATION GENERALLY".

3. Flakey/dishonest buyers and sellers ruining the MP's.
      I don't even know how much I've lost in deals where people just up and vanished and there's no recourse when they do. It was too much either way. The trust has gone and I mourn it.

4. The endless bickering about money even from other doll people.
      I don't care what other people spend and it's no ones business but mine what I spend, why anyone, especially doll people, should feel the need to constantly discuss it and argue on how much is too much, how much something is worth, how all the companies charge too much for X, how only the expensive end of BJD's are worth owning, how only the cheaper end are value for money etc is beyond me.

5. The assumption that my dolls are a child replacement.
      Just no. Why, simply because I happen to like miniature things and am an adult female of breeding age, should it be assumed that I'm desperately pining for a child? If I wanted a kid, I'd have one, I'd not bother faking it with a bunch of DOLLS.

Oddly enough I've never really minded any of the other crap usually thrown at us as a hobby, maybe I've just become immune to it.

3. I'd say how much it all costs, but honestly, even that doesn't bother me. I just wish I had more money to begin with, so I could spend it (on dolls and other non-doll things). ^__^ Money does make life easier, even if there are other things that are much more important.

Also, storage. They (and their empty boxes, which I keep) take up a lot of room. Thankfully, there's an unused attic above our garage. I've commandeered it for the boxes, so at least they're no longer taking up all my closets.

4. I personally don't mind the cost too much, it is a hobby after all; but I don't like the cost when it comes to things like limited dolls. If you see that perfect doll and need to scrape up the money for it in a few weeks or sometimes even less, that's where the cost is a dislike for me.

Beside that I don't like trying to find bodies for making a hybrid (for example, I'm not sure how well the resin will match with the body I have on layaway and the K-doll head I have T^T). I can't just go look and see if it matches, I just have to risk it and buy and I don't like that.

Also I don't like trying to find that perfect item (whether it be a wig, clothes, eyes or anything else). It's fun looking but it gets very frustrating when you can't find what you need. Half the time you end up finding a perfect item and it ends up being sold out. =/

5. I'd like to add, in a world where much of the shopping is done online, I still like the fact that I have a chance to go to a physical store to see, and touch what I'm planning to buy. I miss that with BJDs. Like others pointed out, you have to put a lot of trust in a company that the doll will look good an be of a decent quality.

6. I would agree that going into a shop and seeing what you are buying is much better. I don't like buying much of anything online, except maybe pet products. We have a place where we can purchase a few things, like wigs and sometimes clothes. There are quite a few off topic dolls there that are by doll artists, but I don't care for them much. Most of the BJD companies only want one or two US retailers, if any. I guess they don't understand that some of older folks are less likely to buy from some artistic photos online. The shop keeper here sells the most expensive dolls at shows or from her shop, rather than through online sells.

7. 1) The amount of money spent. I think this varies based on how one approaches this hobby, but at one time I spent around $10,000 in 6 months. Since then, I had a reality check and slowed down considerably, but I worry that I'll go on another crazed buying spree. Also, the worst thing is that when I was between jobs, I had more time to browse this site and that led to spending money while I wasn't making any. Now that I have a job, I'm too busy to buy as many dolls, so my savings is slowly recovering.

2) Aging (of the dolls). Most of my dolls have yellowed nicely, but one I had looked horrible after a few years despite being kept out of light. In my opinion, uneven yellowing is not attractive - I know some find that it gives their doll character or that they don't really focus on it too much, but I hate the thought of it. Worries of face-up damage/fading over time are also upsetting because I can't redo the face-ups myself.

3) Worrying about the USPS when sending packages. Whenever I sell something, I ship it priority with tracking and insurance (which I pay for) to get some piece of mind, but things can still go wrong. The tracking is sometimes not updated, the shipping is slow, or the item can be lost/damaged. Plus, if something goes wrong, it's a tedious process trying to get my money back. (I consider this problem specific to BJDs because they're the only thing I have worth selling.)

4) The way some dolls look so different in person bothers me. I don't think there's any amount of research that can make me 100% certain that the doll will work out once I get him/her home. It's difficult to resell certain dolls. Plus, the shipping is so high that it cuts into whatever profit could be made. For instance, if you buy a $500 doll, pay $75 shipping, immediately sell it for $500 and pay $25 shipping/insurance to the new owner, you've lost $100 even though the doll was sold at the list price. That doesn't even include Paypal fees (assuming you pay the fees yourself and don't make the buyer pay them). Sometimes you can get lucky and come out even or make money, but that doesn't happen very often. You lose even more money if your doll has a company face-up or especially an artist face-up. Many people have their own distinct characters planned out for dolls, and the chances that the face-up you paid $100 for will perfectly fit the image someone else wants is slim regardless of how beautiful you think the face-up is. Some people (including myself to some extent) buy dolls thinking "Oh, well, if it doesn't work out, there's always the MP" but I think this is risky.

On the bright side, I'm not bothered by any stigma associated with purchasing BJDs, nor do the opinions expressed on this forum by other members upset me. Compared to many Internet communities, BJD collectors are (overall) friendly and patient towards one another. In addition, most people's posts are at least moderately well-written, even when their views differ from mine. In certain other communities, people are consistently rude and don't bother to respond with complete sentences.

I'm also not bothered too much by wait times. Unless I begin to suspect the seller of being dishonest, I don't mind waiting a few months.

8. This is probably my favorite of all of my hobbies but of course I do have a few issues....

1. Not being able to physically see majority of the dolls you're purchasing in person, doll meets help in getting a "feel" for a sculpt and have helped me decide both for and against certain companies/ molds. But still pictures are easily distorted or taken from all of the "correct" angles so when you get them home they're no always as impressive looking (in some good cases they're even prettier ^_^).

2. Money money money....I don't mind forking out the cash if the quality/rarity of the doll matches what I'm paying. but to get a doll that's "more expensive" than "normal" and be upset with the quality of the resin or lack of posing is a fear of mine. Same things for clothing and wigs, I've paid more for clothing/wigs that I hoped would be better quality then they were, I can see why some people get so "brand stuck" with one company just because they always know that one company will provide good quality clothing/wigs/dolls etc.

3. Scamming. While mostly Everyone I've met or dealt with on here is a legitimately good person who just loves dolls and doll related things, I have had one bad transaction with an Ebay seller years ago who completely ripped me off and never sent me the doll OR my money even though I paid for her (later I found out they were a known scammer). Plus they just disappeared so there was nothing that they could do about it. I've also never had it but seen it where people are in a mid transaction for a high priced doll and then the seller flakes and decides not to sell.

4. Good companies that we love sometimes have a hard time communicating either over language barrier, or that they have so many orders and not enough man power to complete them. I know reps like mint on card have had problems with ringdoll for not having back orders done from 6 months ago. I also have a close friend on here who had to wait over 6 months for souldoll for a normal non limited doll. But we still put up with them for the love of their sculpts or the fact that they might be a smaller company, which doesn't mean it's not annoying.

5. Making limited dolls non-limited (basically ripping off people who bought the limited for x amount more)

6. Copying companies, I have no problem with someone getting inspiration from a mold or an idea, but copying the entire thing to a tee. In some cases like Leeke who allegedly took an entire doll concept of Mikhala from an individual artist, (and through photographic evidence I'm convinced they did) we try to promote not buying that one mold yet people still buy other dolls/wigs/clothing which fund the company. And of course you have people who love the mold so much they buy it anyways.

7. More artist dolls! I don't mind paying extra for a doll that is an artist's doll. I think making more bjds should be encouraged greatly, this way we always have more doll companies with new ideas to know and love :D.

However, like the poster above me, I'm not bothered by the stigmas and love my dolls and what I do with them and have no shame being at doll meets and such :D

9. Im really new so for me the #1 thing is cost. Especially the price of some of the tiny little dolls that are $300+. But ive just determined to suck it up and if its a doll I really love i will never be satisfied with a substitute.

10. MOVING. Oh God. How do you do it? When I came across the desert(three day drive), i was able to keep them all in a laundry basket. When we moved up north I barely had room for other stuff in the car. When I move again next summer I'm not really sure what we'll do! At least it'll be a very small move of under 45 miles this time... instead of 600.

11. The worst parts of the BJD hobby for me would be the cost of everything, the length of shipping times for absolutely everything, and my personal lack of time to play with my dolls as I would like. There isn't much I can do about the first two and I just need to exercise more self control and time management for the last.

12. 1) I am going to re-state the wish that there were physical shops. I realize why there are not, but especially when considering buying my first bjd of a certain size I am super concerned about being able to handle the size/weight of the doll. Also, somewhat related is worrying about scale of props and fit of garments when not buying from the same company you got your doll from. It'd be nice to be able to take your doll to a shop and try out the stuff. Honestly this is mainly why I make most of my own props and clothes.

2) Space. Displaying the dolls, storing their stuff, traveling with them, ect.

3) The stigma. I like taking my dolls around, showing them off, taking pictures of them, ect. I don't expect everyone to like my dolls, but I feel that staring at someone, telling them off, or generally being rude to someone because they have an accessory or item with them that you do not like is not really acceptable adult behavior. I realize that to people it seems strange for an adult to own and play with a doll, but I find a lot of things that are "in fashion" to be ugly...that doesn't mean I approach them about it. I just wish people who were interested or had positive things to say could approach me, but people who had bad things to say would just piss off and mind their own business.

4) Telling people the price/trying to get people to not handle your dolls like they are children's toys.

Anywho, I love my dolls and I love being able to hang out with a diverse group of people who share at minimum one interest, but usually end up being great friends.

13. WOW - you summed that up quite nicely for me!! dido!! :) hee hee

14. 1. The cost. Although you do find that with every hobby, bjd costs are pretty steep. (However, think about what people spend who are sports fanatics who up and follow their favorite teams to away games?!)

2. The stigma. This one does bother me. I'm really enjoying this hobby and it annoys me that people feel so free to criticize or make rude comments about it.

3. This ties into costs, but it is frustrating trying to get the right set of eyes or perfect wig for your doll. I've got a stack of things I need to put up for sale because they didn't work out--and there is no way to tell without buying and trying them on first. (Bless the people who take time to add their owner pics to the databases, btw!)

BUT: I still enjoy the hobby. There is so much room for creativity here. I love seeing what others do with their dolls! And I like the challenge of getting a doll, finding out who he/she is, and developing the skills to express that.

15. First and foremost. Cost. Not the actual cost of the doll, though, I can perfectly understand why it's so high and when you love a doll you just keep quiet and painstakingly save for it cent by cent. What I'm talking about is shipping cost, yes, that's right. Because imagine me planning for a 600$ doll and after finally making it there I realize I need another 70$ for shipping????? That's at least another month of saving for me people...

Travelling! For me that's a huge issue because I don't like leaving my dolls behind but my home and the place I stay at for University are eight full hours apart. Add to that the fact that I can only travel on bus and that I need to keep my dolls safe for the entirety of the trip and you get a very sore person at the very least. (packing them for the road is an equally hard procedure when you don't really have a dollbag and it's about to get even more complicated for me soon)

Stigmas... No, I am not personally bothered by it nor do I mind people arching brows at me when I pass by with my doll in my arms -as a matter of fact I couldn't care less, nor has it really happened so far the times I went out with my dolls-. I am bothered by the fact people are so fast to criticize a hobby without even knowing what it's all about.

The damn wait. I don't know about others but the wait is usually excruciating for me. >< I'm pretty patient, sure, but the longer it takes the more eager I get... and the more eager I get the more the wait drives me crazy.

16. I'm probably beating a dead horse here but these are my nightmares.

1. Shipping. I don't like the wait, hate the price (but understand it), and am terrified of broken, stolen or just plain lost items. I have had about 6 items (some BJD some not) just disappear into the postal black hole for MONTHS. It is always beyond annoying to have to trace down $100 worth of stuff with people who hate their jobs. (First world problems, I know. :sweat)

2. Price. My doll's clothes can cost 2-7X more than mine. Period.

3. Safety of product. I can never relax when I order things from abroad or individual sellers but it's even worse when there is only one company who is tiny and almost mythical to me. I feel like I'm playing Russian Roulette every time I place a order. It terrifies me that you can do all the research and pay the proper way but a company can just drop off the face of the planet with your money. Thankfully, I've been lucky so far. (Knock on wood)

17. Oh gosh, for me I think it has to be shipping.
      Everything about it from the cost to the waiting to dealing with the post office...
      I mean I love love LOOOVE getting things in the mail (especially when they're a surprise/a lot earlier than expected) but it sucks waiting. XD I mean I guess if it was instant it wouldn't be such a big deal but... I think that has to be the "worst" part of the hobby. That or wait times between placing your order and shipping. That really sucks too. XD

18. I love and hate the plethora of new and creative dolls released by companies. It drives me crazy, beautiful dolls I'll never be able to afford and really don't need or want, but they're gorgeous!!

19. Price. It's crippling, especially when I think of a lot of things I could be getting instead of dolls but I can't help it, I just adore them!

20. The thing that bothers me the most is not being able to walk into a store, comparison shop in person, and actually see the doll before I buy it. That can be circumvented to a certain extent by going to doll meets and conventions and seeing what other people have...but then I hate having what somebody else has. It almost feels like copying to me. I know it's not, but I'm just funny that way. All my dolls are unique and there's not another like any of them in the whole world and that's part of the fun for me. (I'm not explaining this very well, am I?) And suppose I've fallen in love with a doll online but nobody anywhere near where I live has one? (I'm in South Alabama, that's more the rule than the exception.) I am up the minor aquiferous tributary sans propulsion device, am I not?*

I don't worry so much about cost...it's an expensive hobby, but there are dolls for (almost) every price range, so I buy what I can afford. How much a doll costs isn't a contributing factor to its desirability for me, nor do I think it should be for anyone. I've seen gorgeous $100 dolls and bufugly $1000 dolls. Guess which one I'm getting with my tax return? (Here's a hint: I'll have $900 left over for clothes and wigs.)

*For our non-native English speakers, that's a fancy way of saying "up a creek without a paddle", which means in a rather unfortunate situation.