1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the worst part about being a BJD collector/owner?

Dec 20, 2011

1. For me, the hardest and worst thing to deal with as a new collector is my all too frequent inability to portray my doll the way that I want.

As a Jack of all trades, I figured that I would take to everything that had to do with dollies like a duck to water, and I realized after getting my very bare and nakey doll that this wasn't the case at all. I had absolutely no desire to learn how to make clothes, it took way too long to learn how to do a face-up that I was satisfied with, and I still haven't figured out how to make a wig that isn't too girly or too fluffy for my boy. In a way, I love that this has been a fight and a challenge every step down the road, and I love that I feel like I'm constantly learning something new, but there are days when I feel very upset and discouraged--especially when I look at the pictures of superb dolls like Yaret and Anna, and Eddie.

2. The worst part about being a BJD owner for me is that i get teased a lot. Whether it be family or friends but mostly friends. They always make fun of me for having a doll saying that it's childish and calling me creepy for always taking her with me where ever i go. I do get a few stares and comments from strangers who finds the hobby odd. I knew that not everyone was going to accept my hobby but i didn't know the extent of it till after i got my doll and a few of my friends won't hang out with me if i have my doll with me because they say she's creepy looking or embarrassed that they walk around with me because i have a doll. It's something that now i kind of just brush off when someone talks down about my dolls but it's still very hurtful that my friends won't support me in my hobby and kind of hurtful when i get picked on because of my hobby.

3. I am such an impatient person. Not a good quality to have in this hobby. I'm also a nervous person. Also not a good quality to have. When I don't get my doll within the "average wait time" I get really nervous that someone ran away with my money XD

4. For me the worst part is lack of money and space in my room. Whenever I look at beautiful pictures of dolls on this forum, I always find some I would also like to own... it's very tempting. I've been collecting dolls for years but I only bought my first BJD about a year and a half ago. At first, I wanted to own just one BJD, thinking it's enough for me but it's not possible to stop at one, I believe... So I'm always saving money for another doll I would like to have.

5. This is me exactly! I describe myself as a jack of all trades too, and couldn't wait to sew for my doll, paint her, create everything for her but... The probably with being good at many things is that you don't feel GREAT at any one thing. So, I feel my skills are average, and with such a beautiful piece of art I want every little thing to be perfect. This conflicts a lot and actually was one of the reasons I hiatused from the hobby, intending to quit.

Another thing, echoing what others have said, is cost. But it isn't THAT huge of a deal... My birthday and Christmas are spread 6 months apart so I can typically finagal some money to get a doll.

6. I absolutely love the hobby, but the cost is a little overwhelming sometimes. I love getting a new doll but trying to figure what will work to fit him or her can be a bit of a crap-shoot sometimes.

I haven't met with any criticism for the hobby but I can imagine that would be hurtful. It's your money and you've invested it in a piece of interactive art that will probably retain it's monetary value.

7. I don't think I've ever seen someone else have this problem! Thank you so much for sharing this about yourself, haha! I actually was a cosplayer for a long time, and loved hunting and customizing all kinds of things to make cosplay pieces, armor, whatever. But when it comes to the dolls, not only do I find this practically impossible for some reason, but I also almost don't even care ^_^;; I'd MUCH rather just pay someone else to make the perfect commissioned outfit for my doll than struggle over a needle and thread myself for something that small. I hate trying to find scale props and accessories, they are always too big or too small. I hate going to the fabric store looking for materials, I always feel like I can't make a call on a material unless the doll is with me, but I never want to go through the effort of packing a doll and hauling it around the craft store. I was in complete misery in this hobby trying to do it all myself. And then I discovered amazing seamstresses here like PamSD and Silje O_O At first I was nervous paying someone else to do something I thought I could do myself, but now I don't think I will ever bother to try and sew something myself again >.>

8. I can deal with the cost. I am leary of ordering a doll from overseas, so I usually deal with reputable doll dealers here in the USA. I can use layaway and am fine with the wait, etc.

One problem is finding clothing and shoes to fit. Not all of the dollies are created equal, especially in their feet.

Oh and space.

9. This. This exactly. I can never quite get things as pretty as they are in my head. I'm a pretty darned good artist, but none of that helped with dolls. I often feel intimidated and saddened by my lack of skill, and I never really have a lot of motivation (which is annoying, but I've been this way since I was a kid; I'd rather not try at all then try and fail, except for drawing). So I mostly stare at other people's beauties and poke mine haphazardly.

The other hard part? Defending where the money goes. Clothes for them or for me? I like designer goth wear. I love shoes. I have extremely expensive taste and an eye for quality, so I often have to decide whether to buy the darned frilly goth skirt for $50 for my doll, or spend half the doll's value and get one for me. I would rather give up tons of little things and buy one really nice outfit that will last me years. I get a lot of flack for it, and I hate defending myself. I love my dolls and I love my clothes. They're expensive, but they make me happy. Why do I have to feel guilty?! :(

10. Time: the time it takes me to save up the money, the time it takes me to find the perfect clothes, the time they take to arrive to me...etc.
      And the cost of the shipping sometimes.

11. the fact that the resins take all your money then take over your brain lol ;)

and constantly having to justify your interest in them to outsiders, even when they don't have to explain their purchases of designer shoes/bags/whatever

12. Well, for me of course the cost is regrettable....but I almost think the hobby would lose some of it's 'magic' if the dolls were more attainable.
      I think the worst thing for me is how difficult it is to explain the hobby to somebody without sounding like a crazy-hermit-doll-creep. I do get a lot of criticism, from uneducated (about BJDs) family members in particular, and that definitely bothers me; everybody has their quirks, why can't I have mine?

13. That niggling feeling that you will never be 100% satisfied or "done". I always have a list of things that I need to sort out and I tell myself that then I'll be finished, but I'm starting to wonder if there's always going to be something left to do. I worry that I will never be satisfied or contented with the dolls I own.

And wigs. I have the worst luck with wigs.

14. - Not being able to find the right things for your character.
      - The lack of furniture.
      - Not being a millionaire. :(
      - Waiting.
      - Custom fees, plus the looong time they hold our dolls.

15. Mainly its the crazy ass amount of money collecters spend on their dolls.
      But also small things like having people calling your weird, loosing bits of your doll (wigs, eyes, shoes etc)

but I enjoy the hobby and the goods outweigh the bads easily :)

16. My biggest issue is the amount of money I spend. I kind of justify it that if it were not on this, I'd spend it on something else. I'm trying to cut back on the amount of dolls I buy this year by one. I'm hoping to stick to that!
      Another is keeping them hidden from family. My family's not supportive of any hobby or interest of mine, regardless of what it is, doll would be no different, so I don't share that part or much of the rest of my life with them.

17. The worst part for me is the cost because a lot of dolls are just out of my price range. And then I have spent too much money on them anyway. I enjoy every doll I have , though. And just when you think you have controlled yourself and there will be no more dolls---one comes along!

18. I would say the cost first and foremost. I think we all accept it to a degree but it's still a big deal for me. The good thing about BJDs and the mantra which I use to justify my spending is that you can make your money back pretty easily if you need to. More than once I've had to sell a beloved dolly to make rent or car payments but I've never had a problem with getting the same amount or a little less back in my pocket.

Secondly I would say time. The time it takes on shipping items, the time it takes for creating the dolls. There's time involved if you send out your doll for a face-up or customization. It can be frustrating. The first thing I noticed when I started getting involved with dolls was if you have no patience you won't get too far in this hobby.

I think the third thing for me is having no local friends in the hobby. The closest and easiest meet to get to is NYC but it's still an hour and a half ride by train and working full time and then some I'm exhausted by the weekend and just don't feel like schlepping into the city lol. I would really love to find some dolly friends in my immediate area!

19. I don't think the cost is that bad, it just means if i really want it i will have to save longer. And since i don't want many dolls as a whole that means i have longer to think about it. I also do get any hassle about my dolls, my family understands the whole adult collector thing since i had an auntie who had 100's of porcelain dolls and if she was still with us probably would want BJDs. The city i live in is also very laid back and don't really care if i am out and about with my doll. They have probably seen worse.

However:

Doll wait times drive me crazy! Because you get the excitement of ordering the doll (or even before that saving up for it) and it is often months before you finally get it.

Customs fee's are pretty scary in my country, plus companies add extra money on top for handling it, which can be almost as much as the fee's for a doll and often more then the fee's if you order something smaller like dolls clothes. I joke about loan sharks being cheaper.

20. I will have to echo what has been posted numerous times and that is space. Space, Space, SPACE!

Oh yea, and cost should be mentioned too, even tho they are worth it!

How can one put a price on a smile?