1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What is your biggest fear concerning your dolls?

Oct 3, 2011

1. Do you know the feeling of being really worried about your dolls?

I'm just experiencing a horrible fear regarding my new doll. He has turned out so good... he's something I'm so proud of. I'm incredibly afraid something might happen to him.

For example that he gets damaged... out of my own stupidity. It happens so easily.
      I almost cried when I found a scratch on his faceup (not very visible but enough to make me mad).
      I know time will make the intensity of his face's colors fade... The thought is so hard to accept.
      I also fear the yellowing of my other dolls because they are a few years older.
      I sometimes look at them thinking... have they yellowed? Or is it my imagination again?

What fears do you have?
      And is this healthy?
      I really love my dolls too much T_T

2. Please dont take this offensively, but it sounds like you may have untreated anxiety and may want to see a therapist for it. Some worry for dolls is normal, these are expensive items that we put a lot of love into, but the worry should never overshadow the enjoyment of the hobby.
      Im so sorry to hear about the level of worry you've been having for your dolls, i really hope you can get some help to calm those anxieties and focus on your enjoyment of the hobby <3

3. same. I always check if my dolls are turned yellow or not... it's like daily stuff for me now. :sweat
      and recently i spotted some scratches made by my nail... since then I began to wear gloves before touching them...
      learning something new to care dolls are absolutely great but not through this kind of sad experience...:(:(:(

4. I worried about stuff like this when I was new to the hobby. When my first doll got a scratch in his eyebrow, I cried. Now, after 12 years in the hobby, none of really gets to me. Dolls get scratches unless they're kept in a box or in a display case, I think of it as adding character and making them different from every other one of their sculpt out there. I do my own faceups and blushing, so while it's annoying to have paint chip, it's fixable. As for yellowing, my first doll is almost 13 years old and is white skin but he has yellowed SO much that he looks more like a creamy pale normal yellow now. I thought I'd care, but I don't. I think he's a pretty color. Unless it's uneven yellowing or turns banana yellow or sickly green like some of the very early BJDs, I don't think a thing about it.

The only things that would seriously upset me would be broken fingers or crushed pieces. I would probably buy new hands or just totally reshell the doll in that case. But it's really not something I think about often. I decided a long time ago to stop being afraid of my dolls and enjoy them to the fullest. I'd rather have a doll with some "battle wounds" that I've loved and played with than a pristine doll sitting in a box.

5. I worry a bit about damaging their face-ups, so I'm more careful with the ones that have company face-ups. I don't worry about the yellowing caused by time, but I do worry about protecting them from the sun. My first doll has yellowed unevenly from sun exposure because I didn't realize how quickly that can happen.:doh I have most of them out where I can see them, but they're shielded from the sun. One of my dolls is a very pale normal skin, and her color hasn't changed in the 6 years I've had her. One of my smallest has topped off a table and onto the floor a few times and been unscathed. Face-ups can get damaged and sun is bad for resin. Other than that I don't worry too much.

6. No, I don't take it personal. I think I had a very bad day and that the beautiful work had scratches made me insane.
      I take it a bit more easy now and I definitely have fun doing what I love. With this boy it has been a bit of a waiting torture (Corona reasons)... So the fact that he's here is still unbelievable...
      And made me feel extreme happiness as well as sadness when I accidently damaged the face.
      But it's unavoidable... MSC will get damaged at some point, when you handle your dolls often.

But I'm surprised many people say they'd fear their dolls coming to life.
      I thought the opposite. Imagine them becoming real with all character traits you have invented for them, what great people would they be?
      But they'd probay be so bored at home hll the time xD

7. I guess accidentally fire or when my doll arrives broken or even gets lost on the way here.

8. My biggest fear would definitely be a house fire. Nearly anything else I think I could save them from, whether that be yellowing, a damaged faceup, or breakage. Fire is my worst fear in general.

Whenever I take a picture, and the doll is standing, I'm petrified they're going to fly off of their stand and land smack on their face as well. A broken nose would be fixable, but very sad. Especially for some of my favorites!

9. My biggest fear is that they will topple over in there cabinet and smash through the glass and fall on the floor chip there faceup and break a finger or two. I lost my mind when I found out my husband moved the cabinet with the dolls in it!! He said they did not move except one doll leaned back into a corner and he dsaid he propped her back upright.

10. I think for now my biggest fear is what if I have buyer's regret or don't like the doll I ordered
      :x.

11. My biggest fear actually just happened :atremblin The post office loosing my dolls on its way to me. I'd check tracking numbers at lease 2 to 3 times a day until I have it or its confirmed at home.

I also fear them falling and breaking (mind you I have butterfingers and have dropped heads and pieces during restringing none broke yet) :sweat

Buyers regret I have with one of my dolls I didn't consider it before, but now I am conscious when purchasing since I do have a doll I wish I didn't buy.

Dolls coming to life would be pretty cool especially with the personality you gave them. They can dress themselves for one :abow:

12. I get super worried about my dolls quite a bit. Especially my tinies because they’re not available for order anymore. They’re not replaceable unless I somehow find another one, so I don’t want anything to happen to them.

13. I get scared they could be damaged by my clumsiness.
      I do believe that if they get damaged, I'll never get another like this one.

14. I’ve been in this hobby for nearly 14 years now, and things have of course happened to my dolls along the way. But I take it all in stride as just part of dolls having interesting lives (resin fading, accidental kitty-love, a puppy thinking a wig was a chew toy, a chip, a dent, a scratch.) If anything, I love them all the more for it.:) And after all, I’ve found that most things can be corrected with a bit of ingenuity. But what I really fear at this point in my hobby is coming up with a fascinating character or falling in love with an amazing doll and realizing I have absolutely no room for it! I fear I’ve finally reached my limit, and that adding another doll would create needless clutter that might ruin my enjoyment of my collection in the long run.:(

15. One of my biggest fears in general, that extends to my dolls, is losing all of my worldly possessions in a tragic event like a house fire. I'm very attached to my things and to lose them to forces outside of my control is definitely something that scares me. Things like wear & tear don't bother me at all because to me they are signs of love. But losing my stuff to a housefire? Yikes.

16. I worry that I might drop my doll or they fall off a cabinet and they just shatter into a million pieces. :horror:
      Another bigger fear of mine would be a natural disaster or house fire destroying all of my dolls that I worked hard to get and put together, I probably wouldn't know how to go one after something like that. :(

17. I live in a loft. It's a full story drop with only an iron railing between them and an 8-foot drop. So far I've been keeping them all as far away from that as humanly possible, and successfully haven't had a single one of them even come close to falling!

18. Another one of my biggest fears would be losing interest in the doll hobby itself, as I have invested so much time and money into it, it would be a shame >-<

19. I'm also an avid book collector, and I have a fear of a pile of book falling over and landing on one of the dolls. :shudder

20. My favourite doll broke a finger - I was able to simple order a new pair of hands and replace it.

Another doll who is a sculpt no longer available fell from my desk back when I was in Uni, and chipped off a piece of his ear that I have long since lost. I've been meaning to just sand it down honestly. Most humans have slightly uneven ears and it's not a big deal anymore. I was startled and annoyed at the time, but I never did replace the head because he wouldn't have been *mine* anymore.

I guess this is just to say, that dolls are pretty durable, they bounce, it's highly irregular to snap off a nose, or anything, I mean you might chip the end of it but the whole nose is very unlikely to come off.

Some of the anxiety in this thread is genuinely scary and triggering. I know these are expensive things, and that we love them, but aside from theft (and then it's highly unlikely that anyone outside the hobby would know the value of the doll or its accessories), there's not really a ton you can do to a doll that would wreck it unless you set out to do so on purpose.

You can't damage a doll permanently doing a faceup unless you're sanding or carving it, or using the wrong materials.

No one is going to break in and steal a doll. Most burglars are looking for things they can resell - electronics, money, jewelry. A doll looks like a weird random thing and no one's going to think 'oh I bet that's expensive.' Having lived through two separate robberies that resulted in my family having to move (as well as losing several thousand dollars worth of our stuff), my dolls were never even disturbed.

I mean, a fire would be a bad thing, but you'd lose waaaaaaaaay more than just your dolls. There's so much more at stake there that I probably wouldn't even think of my dolls until much later.

Yellowing happens - but unless you leave your doll in blazing direct sunlight for months on end (or got a discontinued French resin that goes LEMON yellow within a few years), it's likely to be totally unnoticeable and not bothersome at all. Most of my collection is around 10 years old or older. The ones that aren't tan have yellowed - but they are not *Yellow*, they've just deepened to a more natural caucasian skin colour. I'm not sure how else to put it, but you'd never look at them with their faceups and body blushing and go 'oh that doll has yellowed!'

So I hope this post reassures some folks, especially younger ones or people new to the hobby.