1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What is your biggest fear concerning your dolls?

Oct 3, 2011

1. I feel like the worst thing already happened, as my old dolls yellowed. ;o; I was heartbroken when I realised, especially as one of them has a spare head and hands which no longer match 'cos I kept them in a box. I don't think it's sun damage, because it's completely even under their clothes and wigs. They just... got old. :( And I had them all that time, and never enjoyed them like I should have. That's what made me saddest. I berated myself so much. How could I have let this happen to my dolls! I was so careful to keep them out of the sun! But I wanted them to be on display so of course they would yellow. At least I got to see them every day.

I've decided that I'm going to try retrobrite on them, if I get good enough at faceups. :) So even though the worst thing happened, I can try and fix them, and maybe get their faces close to the company faceup (especially important for the one with the spare head because it means that I don't have to wipe that)

If it's any relief, I was basically inactive in the hobby for years. Didn't look at new bjds, didn't talk about bjds, totally out of touch. It comes back around :D (and now there are so many dolls. Help!)

2. I worried about this at first, especially as I was investigating and doing serious research before I bought my first BJDs. And it does feel upsetting, just like with tarot cards which I also collect, as you use them they get dented and the paper does fade, especially when you have something with a gold overlay that will peel right off over time. And it did scare me, the idea of investing tons of money into dolls that would change no matter what I did, and possibly (probably) not in a good way. But...I think thats a fear I should actually learn to cope with. As time goes on, I realize that I've had a fear of trying too hard to hold on to the present, only to have things inevitably change and getting frustrated about it instead of just accepting it. So seeing everyone encouraging others to use their dolls, to enjoy them now, to not stress so much about the little bits of damage, I feel like that has actually impacted my view of the belongings I hold valuable and how I treat the things I value. So thanks everybody. Its nice to feel reassured against fear.:hug:

3. I have more worries over other people in the community than I really do with the dolls themselves. :sigh

4. My biggest fear is uneven color changes that make the dolls look bad. I don't think I would mind discoloration as long as it is even, or doesn't look horrible.
      I also fear cracks/breaks, dolls not arriving (a big one for me right now as I bought two from someone and they haven't moved in almost 2 months and my fear is that they are lost :( ) And getting a doll that I end up not liking and cannot get even close what I paid. I have been in that position with my first BJD and I got half what I paid for him, and he was brand new. I am a bit more selective now, but until a doll arrives, there really is no way to know for sure.

5. One of my biggest fear would be to break one of my discontinued dolls and not be able to replace/repair it :(
      My other biggest fear in the hobby would be to get tricked on the second hand market. I'm always so paranoid when I buy dolls because there are so many fake out there and people aren't always honest. So, unless the doll is discontinued, I prefer ordering them directly from the artist/company to be sure of its authenticity.

6. My biggest fear is probably accidentally ruining a expensive face up somehow or body paint, I am paranoid about scratching something off :(

that or dropping and breaking a doll :ablink:

7. Like many here, I’m a bit worried about yellowing. A slight “mellowing” is fine with me, but I’m worried about any of my dolls ever turning into that creepy BRIGHT yellow color. I’m pretty careful about keeping them away from sunlight or windows, but I know it’ll be inevitable. :(

I’m also worried about denting/chipping resin, or damaging a professionally-done face up.

8. Right now I'm very scared of doll heads getting lost in the mail on the way to or from a faceup artist.

The mail situation has been not great here recently, but even in normal conditions sometimes packages just go missing sometimes for no preventable reason

I need to get my first doll repainted, and my second doll who is coming soon is blank, so it'd be ideal to send them together, but then if the package happens to go missing I would lose all of my doll heads at once which would just be tragic...

9. My biggest fear was that I would forget my dolls in direct sunlight. That never happened. I did some quick photo shoots outside with them, but otherwise they have lived in their boxes all this time. So no sunlight for my dolls. Earlier I had a fear of damaging their face-ups and that fear manifested. I survived tho. I also have feared about getting scratches on them, but that was not so big of a fear since the first one was already little scratched when I got her.

10. I think that my first fear is. After being investigating one doll, looking for photos of the doll on Instagram, Flickr, forums. And finally say: okey, I love it! Let’s buy it.

Wait the looooong time till it arrives. Open the box, see the doll and be like:
      Hmm... well I don’t like that head...

I think that it scares me more than if the doll arrives broken. XD

11. i had a dream last night i lost my doll! (it was the doll in my profile pic) i had to rescue my family and escape a crisis situation and i dropped her! i was trying to go back and get her when i woke up.

so i guess i really am worried about losing her or not taking care of her properly! but look at her sweet little face! how can i not do everything possible to take good care of her! :XD::D

12. i'd say my biggest fear is similar to some that have been said already in that, the faceplate/head getting lost in the mail because of transit for a faceup. since i love my doll very much, finding her a replacement head would be extremely difficult since i dont see the doll i got hybrid ever. and i doubt the artist would have an extra made... so she would be faceless forever.

13. Definitely falls causing chipping or breaking off pieces of resin. I’d be so mad at myself if I let that happen.

I don’t care about yellowing, I do my own faceups mostly so dont worry too much about chipping paint (I can use practice). Theft isn’t likely, I don’t carry my dolls around out of the house, and as others have said, in a house fire my dolls wouldn’t be top priority (though I do have them in a spreadsheet and keep receipts for insurance purposes).

14. I think my greatest fear would be waking up one day and realizing I don't love or value the hobby as a whole anymore. BJDs have been a part of my life since I was 13 or 14 years old and even when I've taken little hiatuses due to time/money, I still find myself longing to return and getting excited about new releases and plans, even if they never come to fruition. Losing the drive I have for this hobby would be an indicator that I have changed profoundly on a fundamental level.

15. Same here! As much as I love collect dolls, I love collect faceups too. I hope that they’ll remain forever without fadeaway...
      Also I‘m worried about yellowing too. It makes me so sad when I figure it out when I‘m taking photos of my dolls.

16. I think my biggest fear is I pose them somewhere safe and I venture out into the world to get sunlight and come back to find them destroyed. My door closes but with enough force, you can open it without turning the handle. My two Pitbulls Like my room more than anyone else's room because it's closest to the neighbors who are college kids so they're always outside. They wander in and get excited. I've once had one of them pull the lamp off my gaming set up, and pull my Netgear wifi adapter cord out. I'll lose my mind if they somehow find a way to accomplish that...

17. Yellowing :( I dont know how to feel about it... I dont keep them on sunlight but I am still concerned about it.

18. Having them get lost in the mail. Especially when sending them off for faceups.. for some dolls you can just replace the head, but for discontinued and limited sculpts... just the thought gives me anxiety!

19. I'm mostly afraid to lose them. It doesn't matter whether it's a natural disaster, theft, clumsiness, ...

Due to the above reasons I'm also trying to downsize the collection so it's easier for me to manage them and make an emergency plan. I know that even then the inevitable may happen but I like the peace of mind.

20. For me it’s an accidental breakage and ofc, as with most doll collectors (it seems) is yellowing :pout: The thing is I like to display my dolls...it gives me a lot of enjoyment just to see them out but I’m scared this will be bad for them in the long run....I do keep my room dark but still...but I don’t want to always keep them in their boxes either