1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What is your doll to you?

Jul 9, 2019

1. I say i collect Dolls too as it sums them up pretty good, they are what they are... but if i want to elaborate and show people photos on instagram then i will, but its the easiest way to just chat about it.

2. I like dolls because they are a physical item I can use to represent characters! That and I just love looking at their beauty and being able to easily manipulate things about them (clothes, pose, faceup)!

3. Much as @SceneNeko said above, they're a physical item I can use to represent characters. :) Either beloved characters from books I've carried around with me since junior high or my own oc's, dolls are physical manifestations of this. I'm definitely a 'hobbyist' owner - modding ('lite'), photography, fiddling around with sewing. I've gotten weird looks for saying I'm into dolls from folks that aren't, but eh. It hasn't stopped me yet. :)

4. Beautiful things that have the advantage of being flexible. I can dress them, pose them, use them as story illustrations, and enjoy them. They are FUN!

5. My feelings exactly! I got to use my camera and learn how to use a sewing machine thanks to my doll.

6. I say I collect dolls, too, but it honestly feels like a lie, lol. I do collect action figures such as Figma, Nendoroid, Figuarts, Play Arts Kai, et cetera, but I almost never touch them. I set them up in a nice pose and let them be pretty. My BJDs are entirely different. I play with them constantly. If I'm not changing up their outfits or hair, I at the very least have them sitting with me wherever I am in my room. BJDs are just so much more inspiring than a regular "collectible." They're something uniquely yours, and no other person on Earth could possibly know how you feel about your dolls because they're so deeply rooted in your imagination.

7. My dolls are a way to express my imagination, playforms for character creation among ideal fantasies. I love to improve them and work on them until they are perfect to my imagination.

But there is one doll, who is my favourite. I have a connection to him that is above the others, maybe it is because I got him at a difficult point of my life. Getting him was like a light in the dark. The former owner was very emotional with her dolls. She treated him like a real person and transferred that feeling to me. She kept saying it was fate that he became mine. I guess that was quite appealing to me.
      When he arrived he had a broken food. He is still my problem child. He has the most fragile body, that causes a lot of trouble.
      His first blushing went along with a family fight, because my family could not understand why I wanted to do it so bad.

He used to sleep next to me for a while. It was quite hard to keep distance to him after that. I forced myseld to let him stay in the living room. Sometimes when I get emotionally weak I still consider taking him back there.

There's definitely some kind of love I feel for him. In certain moments he seems scarily alive. He has a strong presence and I like having him around and spend time with him. I never consider him as an object or a doll. More like a warm soul that becomes lively whenever you care for him.

That might sound very weird and insane to some of you. I sometimes wonder about it myself. Still I'm happy about it. I would never consider to sell him. In general I don't see much value in money and I also don't sell other figures I used to collect. I always remember the value they had for me in the past. I guess they're all a part of me somehow.

8. My dolls are kind of like little pets to me. I take care of them by buying things or making things for them and fixing them up. I make sure they are safe, as in places they wont fall off of, or remaining in sunlight for too long. I hold them and fuss with them by fixing their hair and clothes, and faces. I take pictures of them being cute. They are there for me to hold when I need something to fuss with because I am nervous.

They seem to develop personalities along the way, maybe I dress them in something, and the doll will not sit right, or keeps somehow messing up a new wig, or just looks really uncomfortable in a new outfit, then I change things and suddenly the doll looks happy and satisfied, I think they develop clothing personalities in this way, and they way they like to dress, develops their whole personality for me.

9. I collect and customize dolls. To me they are creative outlets and pretty pieces of art to look at and take pictures of.

10. I love my dolls like they’re almost extended family. Not exactly, but when I need someone to just be there and not judge me, my girls always manage to make it work. They’re also a creative outlet, and they’re inspiring me to sew, draw, take pictures and possibly move onto making wigs.

11. My dolls are vehicles for my creativity! If you like a movie you don't just like the dvd disk! You like what's ON the dvd. Same goes for dolls <3 hope that made sense.

12. Totally!!! It's also a sense of 'control' for me, at least :)

13. Instagram is the easiest and best way to talk dolls that I have found! :) there are so many adult doll lovers! All the way from barbies, American girl dolls, to bjds!

14. This is a great question and one I have never considered. Hmmmm.

I have always had dolls. I cannot imagine a time without them. I think that dolls were initially just playthings. I think now they allow for a demonstration of my love. I can buy them nice dresses and accessories. It makes me happy to see them looking so pretty.

I consider my dolls to be my children. Perhaps they allow me to be the "perfect" mother as they are the "perfect" children.

15. They allow me to indulge my love of sewing and creating. I like to wander round car boot sales and charity shops looking for props for them. I love that through technology I can connect with people all round the world of all ages who share my love of dolls. But perhaps the best thing is that they allow me to step out of reality and become a child again where anything is possible.

16. Chaeri means so many different things to me. First and foremost, she's a doll. She's my doll. She's a great comfort to me and it makes me happy just to look at her, to hold her, to dress her up and pose her and take pictures of her. On another level, she's a focus for my creativity. I love making things for her-- clothes, wigs, shoes, accessories, chairs for her to sit on, blankets to wrap up in. I also love doing photostories with her, imagining a story and bringing it to life with words and pictures. On the deepest, most private level, she is both my companion and the daughter I never had. I know she's just plastic in a pretty shape and she has no life or thought or feeling of her own, but that doesn't seem to matter. I feel a genuine connection to her. Having her with me makes me happy. It makes no difference that any character or personality she has is an illusion, a projection I'm casting on to her. I love her. That won't ever change.