1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What is your favorite doll size and why - Part 2

Mar 1, 2019

1. Since the moment I started in this hobby, I knew clearly that MSD was my top limit in size because I find SD size to overwhelmingly huge. In that time, I also was afraid of dolls smaller than Yo-SDs because I found them too fragile or whatever.

Nowadays, 20-28cm range (tiny to Yo-SD) seems the perfect size for me. Very light and easy to carry anywhere. Plus they don't use much space in the cabinet so it's a win-win situation.

2. I originally wanted a MSD or 1/4 size doll, since anything bigger seemed a bit extravagant for me. But that was before I started actually shopping, and a lot of sculpts and body types I found that I wanted were 58+... so I bought a SD13 telling myself I will go no larger. BUT... I ended up purchasing a SD17 size shortly after ^^;;

I love both, but I think overall, SD13 is my favourite just because the size isn't too small or too big, it's lighter, and there's just something about hugging them that feels really nice, that I probably wouldn't have gotten with a MSD.

Also clothes option are a thing :'D

3. I love my dolls big! The bigger the doll the easier it is to sew for :XD:, kinda feel like cheating sometimes. I love the way big dolls look but they are very hard to carry around to interesting photography locations. Taking my 1/3 into Disney is already extremely stressful, I couldn't imagine doing it with a 75cm. I'm ok with smaller dolls as long as they are proportional to my big dolls.

4. I love the 40 cm chubby baby size, that is my mum's favourite size too. Not too big but not too small and I like that they have shorter legs, I find some of the SD and MSD sizes have really long legs!

5. I love the 1/3 size since carrying them gives the feeling of an adorable baby. And 1/3 dolls are the best when it comes to dressing up thanks to the details of 1/3 clothes.

6. I love my larger dolls primarily because of their sculpts, but if we're specifically focusing on the size aspect, I'd say 58-62cm is my favorite range because I find them easy to carry about and do things with while also being easier to paint/restring/clothe than the fashion size.

7. I have both SD snd MSD girls.
      I love my SD girls for their clothes especially. I play with them more since I can change their clothes more often. It is harder for me to change the buttons on my MSD ones. My fingers don't work so well now days.
      I love the size of my MSDs. I can take them with me easier when I go to meetings and conventions.
      So, I love them both for different reasons.
      I also have some 1/6 and 1/12 ones. I like my smallet ones for the characters they are but only for that.

8. Can I have the best of both worlds? :lol:

I adore MSD sizes for their portability but SD and especially 70cms for their look. There's something about bigger dolls that just do it for me. The downside for them would be the difficulty of bringing them around. :ablink:

9. I really like MSDs since they are aren’t too big and are easier to transport. Maybe down the road I might get an SD since they are so many gorgeous ones, but their price and size right now wouldn’t work due to limited space. I also really like small dolls like pet BJDs since they’re so cute and can be little companions for my characters.

10. 1/4! Although, I own alot of 1/6 dollies these days.

11. I love 1/6 and smaller dolls. I'm not sure about bigger dolls. They're kinda intimidating. But my tiny dollies are so cute

12. My favorite size is MSDs, which is kinda sad because SDs are definitely what works best for my characters :lol:
      I also much prefer the clothing options for SDs, the wider variety of realisme and the opportunities for height differences.
      But MSDs are just so much easier to handle :...( :roll:

13. I like dolls between the sizes of 58 cm to 60 ish cm for females and 65 cm to 75 cm for males. My reasoning is the dolls I like tend to be in these sizes, the dolls in these sizes looks more to my liking, it's easier to find clothing that I like in these sizes, I like bigger dolls, the details if the larger dolls seem better, etc. Something about the smaller sizes remind me of non-jointed dolls which for some reason bothers me. I do have smaller size dolls and a doll that is 105 cm. I don't know what I was thinking when I got the 105 cm doll from Luts. I was curious about the size and the photo of him holding the regular sized dolls was so funny I just wanted one.

14. 1/8 is my favorite size. I have 3 YOSD size too but I find more variety of clothes that fit 1/8. There is a lot of YOSD size clothes but they are commonly too loose for Littlefee size. Another reason I like them is they take up less space so there’s room for more.

15. I love my 1/3 dolls but boy are 1/4 so much easier to handle and dress. I'd be hard pressed to say which I prefer more though.

16. My favourite doll size is kind of an odd one, there aren’t that many BJD artists making it. It’s a slightly larger YoSD-sized doll with an SD-sized head (or a stockier short MSD with an SD-sized head). iMda and a couple other smaller artists make them, with a few “random” ones peppered here and there from the larger outfits. They’re small enough that they don’t take too much space, fairly easy to dress (at least, in dresses… they tend to have a booty), they have large eyes and heads that allow for more detailed face-ups and more beautiful detail in the eyes, and they wear a standard-sized SD wig so there’s a lot of options for styles. I think it’s the perfect size, honestly, and I’m kinda sad there’s only a few places they can be found.

My second favourite size is MSD-sized dolls. A little bigger, allows for more detail, but still very easy to transport and store. I think up to 50 cm is a good size.

I love the looks of the 50+ cm dolls but they are just too big, expensive, and hard to store.

17. It's so hard for me to pick a favorite between my MSDs and my SD boy, because on one hand the MSDs are the perfect size to play with, but on the other, I LOVE the weight of my SD boy. (He's technically closer to 70cm.) It's like having a weighted blanket over my arm when I hold him and I love it.

18. Including a couple of dolls on their way, apparently, it's a size I call "Micro" which is anything smaller than a Yo. Fully half my collection (28) falls into this and includes Realfees, Pukifees, Pukipukis, all the way down to a Dream High studio Frezia and a Daisy Dayes monkey.

Second place would be MSDs at 15.

Then 9 YOs and 8 SD/SSDs.

19. 1/6 is my favorite due to being at the height of most bookshelves (where I put my dolls) and portability, although I think 1/4 is becoming my favorite due to being able to better feel their personality.

20. I initially began focussing on MSD size, because they were a size I felt best fit into the artistic displays I was wanting to create. That worked well for awhile, but eventually my imagination began to think up other display concepts that could accommodate other sizes…like a treehouse I made from a discarded bit of tree trunk that was perfect for Realpukis, or a blank dresser-top that was big enough to house an SD. So I slowly began to add other sizes as my spaces for them grew. Today I have a home tastefully peppered with lovely displays and every size of doll imaginable to fill them. It’s a little like wandering through a fantasy world populated with fascinating characters. What a wonderful way to live!;)