1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What is your style like when it comes to dolls?

Jan 6, 2017

1. I love all different kinds of dolls! I like a doll really quickly. But the dolls I fall in love with and want to owb always have a shy/sad look on their faces. I also love brown hair and brown eyes, but I style my dolls in a way that fits them best.

Dolls that I wouldn't buy are the mature ones. I prefer msd dolls that have children features, like larger eyes and a flat chest. And I do like anime dolls. I don't like super tiny dolls, yosd would be max tiny for me :)

In clothes I love vintage and mori looks but also lolita and cosplay stuff ^^

2. I tend to prefer dolls on the more "old school", stylized side of things.

Most of them are 1/3-scale. (Though I do own a fair few that are smaller these days, particularly when it comes to the Menagerie's assorted creatures-)

They almost all have fairly neutral expressions.

I have more guys than gals, because I'm a lot pickier about girl sculpts and having the apparent age of their faces match the maturity of their bodies.

I have more dolls with realistic, low-key faceups than with dramatic, Fantasy-style paint jobs.

I mostly stick to natural(ish) wig colors... I have a lot of black, white, silver, brown, auburn and blond over here rather than hot pink, green or orange. Yeru has indigo blue hair, Teacup's is violet and Foxfire's is a rainbow, but they're the exceptions rather than the rule.

Eyes? I'm less stuck on realism there. Quite a few of my dolls have ended up with unusual eyes... either in terms of color, iris pattern, lack of a pupil or the addition of inclusions like gears, metallic flakes or gems.

As for how I dress them? In spite of having a reputation for owning "boring, weeaboo brats who all look alike" it's actually a pretty diverse mix among this crew. Some Western historical, a lot of Eastern historical, high fantasy, low fantasy, modern formal, modern casual, Mori, Lolita frufru, Gothic... There's even one guy who goes completely starkers (Caspian, my Argonautica Little Kio... a water elemental who doesn't see the point of clothes. Yeah. He's an avowed nudist. :lol: ) and a mermaid whose idea of "dressed" is a sting of seed pearls.

As for owning "ugly" dolls... Who gets to define what's ugly and what's not? There are a lot of people who think any of the older, more Anime-inspired sculpts are absolutely hideous, with their huge eyes, melon heads and pointy noses. Other people in the hobby would say that the more modern, realistic Manly Men with their over-done physiques, pin heads and tiny eyes are the ugly ones... It's all just a matter of taste. I own a few dolls who aren't what you'd call traditionally attractive (my DC Pierre, for instance-), but I'd call them more "unusual" than "ugly"... and in general anything unusual will definitely tend to find fans in this hobby.

#22 Brightfires, Jan 7, 2017
      Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
    3. I prefer adult dolls although I do own 2 child dolls but the characters they are are children so.... I have dolls from tiny to mature and since the characters they are are all adults, yep, that's my big style factor. As for sculpts, it sort of depends on which of my world they belong in. The Dream Time has more anime style sculpts (and are mostly MSD's). Big Mystic Smoke has more realistic sculpts (mix of MSD and SD sculpts). Absolute has a mix of fantasy and realistic sculpts (and for the most part, are SD in size). Clothes... only Big Mystic Smoke has modern/normal clothes. The other 2 worlds are fantasy clothes either based off my designs or drawing from ancient China/Japan/Korea clothing.

Ugly dolls... well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It would depend entirely on the doll and my needs for the character to say whether an "ugly" doll would work for me.

4. I have three MSDs and love them, but I've found that I'm partial to chibi-type characters. None of my tinies are children - they're either elementals or mature characters. I'm also drawn more to fantasy sculpts than strictly realistic ones. And I love odd dolls - I don't want to say "ugly," because that's subjective.

Part of the reason I picked tinies is because they fit well into a world I'd already created for an OT doll. They're also easier to find props for. Because Maddy's size fits more or less into action figure scale, she has a TARDIS, the fourth Doctor to hang around with and a Dalek pal, among other things. I couldn't have made any of that work with a larger doll.

5. Most of my dolls are 1/4 but honestly I like dolls of all sizes, I don't plan to have many 1/3 I just need them to make deities for my universe. But I would be okay with many 1/4 and bellow bjds, specially tinies.

I love non-human characters but I always pick bjds I find pretty but is a question of taste, I find Taurus by iOS beautiful. I had to take a moment when I saw him actually lol and trieda from dz was not even a question when I saw.

I prefer the dolls to look more mature unless is 1/6 or 1/8 dolls. And I like semi closed eyes and mouths a bit open sometimes, and I can like innocent and mischievous looking dolls just the same. I picked Baiye from miracle doll because his smirk and Aiden5 of 5SD because his cute innocent look, Carte-1 from dz because his teeth and big eyes. And so on.

I think it's more a question of connecting with the sculpt and being inspired by them then trying to follow a set pattern. But I prefer humanoid dolls or at last non-animal and without muzzle.

I want to focus on my new dolls having fantasy and tanned skin now, and I prefer alternative style for clothes and fantasy hair colors but I do have a character that will use suits and semi formal clothes.

6. Of course it's always about the Face & body sculpt for me. My boys are all 70cm+ so they go together in height. I love realistic style guys because all my guys are high fashion guys so they need to have great face ups with great bodies. If some of them can wear the same clothes that's always helpful!

7. I like mature slim MSD girls or smaller dolls in child character (like Lati yellow). Clothing-wise, I go for casual modern clothing I would wear myself. I'm boring, I know. Hehe.

8. MSD all the way and I love cute but not childish (if that makes sense). I prefer when the boobs aren't too ballon like and the sculpt has well defined toes and fingers. Butts also tend to make or break a sculpt for me, those really flat backsides are something I stay away from. All that aside, realistic bjds freak me out a little so I stay away from those. Definitely look for double joints because I'm all about posing :)

Clothing wise I like that line between fantasy clothes and normal modern clothes. Florals and pastels~

9. I like feminine looking males and exotic or mysterious looking females. I also have a thing for doll's noses.
      When every one was raving about Red King, all I could say was I liked his nose.

10. I'm not keen on the big eyed, tiny featured Amime/Manga sculpts, preferring instead the more natural/less stylised sculpts. I like Child faces on child bodies (chidlike face sculpts on mature/big boobed anime bodies just creeps me out) and natural faceps thart don't look like they're wearing cosmetics/makeup. No heavy/dark lines on the eylids (looks too much like eyeliner), neutral eyebrows rahter than expressive ones, no dark dots in the corner of the mouth, no lipstick or rouge/blusher on the cheeks.

I have to be careful when choosing eye and wig colour otherwise I'd have nothing but green-eyed redheads, so I deliberately choose for variation. I don't like faux-fur wigs as they always look like faux-fur to me, although I do have a couple of more fantasy dolls that wear them.

I have all sorts of sizes, although the majority are SD sized - I Liek children, open eyed and smiley for preference, open mouth with teeth is a bonus. It's difficult to find immature SD size bodies (especially a variety of them so there's a bit of variety in exact size and shape). I tend to dress them in Victorian/Edwardian/Period childrens styles, and my more modern kids and teens (the slim minis and Chibi unoas sizes) are generally in more classic, muiddle-of-the-road, and "old fashioned" modern styles than punk, ultra modern, mori, or anything like that (although I have one semi-goth girl in the Victorian family). A few of my dolls are elves who have a some token fantasy-elf outfits they sometimes wear.

I have a couple of fantasy characters (a faun and a wood sprite) who dress in fantasy stuff, but thats about it aart form the RealPuki and PukiPuki who wear whatever they look good in - the PukiPuki tend toward modern childrens clothes the RealPuki toward cutesy fantasy (pointy hats, stripey leggings etc.).

I tend to prefer dressing allmy dolls in bright colours but there's a range of colours - I hate pastel piks but one of my girls "insists" on ewaring that colour, I can't abide grey so there's no grey (it's such a nasty, dull, lifeless, and ddepressing thing that as a colour it's just wrong) at all among my dolls clothing.

I prefer shoes that have ultrafine soles rather than thick/heavy/chunky soles, trousers that come up to the actual waist rather than being low slung, waistcoats that cover the entire wasitband of the trousers rather than having a gap where shirt shows (or even showing the wasitband of the trousers at all) - anything else just looks like it doesn't fit, and seeing pictures of dolls smoking puts me off the sculpt entirely. There are sculpts I would probably have quite liked if the sales photos on the company site hadn't used pictures of the dolls with cigarettes in their hands or mouths.... Ugh!

Teddy

11. I originally thought that all my dolls would be pastels and cute and then now none of them are in pastels and are all wearing black v.v I think i will give them all a pastel goth look since i really like how they look in black :3
      Plus atm shoes are a mystery to me. Im too lazy to be bothered to look for some so for now they will have socks on thier feet.

12. I far prefer adult looking larger dolls and I only collect boys. I love a mixture of realistic looking (Soom, Iplehouse) and unnatural (Doll Chateau) ones. Most of mine are 65+cm which is my preferred size. I love the details you can see in a face up on the larger dolls and love the feel/weight of them. As for their style most of my guys end up long haired and frequently wear black outfits. I think my lifelong love of heavy metal has a huge influence on how I like my guys to look.

13. What is your taste like when it comes to the look of the doll?
      Regarding the doll itself, I like mature-looking MSDs that show some sort of emotion (happiness, sadness, uncertainty, etc) and minis that look happy or mischievous. Four of my five on-topics have elf ears, three have shaggy fur wigs, and all five have relatively large eyes. They all tend to dress in bright colors; the boys are very bishounen, and the girls are variations of girly (one's a gothic lolita, one's a sweet lolita, and the third is just straight girly). Strangely enough, I tend to make them all wear boots, even girly little Chloe. I just like the way high-top boots look. I also add Japanese influences to the mix; two dolls wear yukata and geta during the summer months, and Chloe occasionally wears a kanzashi to hold her bangs back. Lastly, my fondness for the color green and goofy looking prints both feature prominently in my dolls' wardrobes. All five have at least one item with skulls or hearts or polka dots printed on it, and Chloe has some other prints as well (CARE BEARS!!!)

Would you care for an "ugly" doll?
      I'm not opposed to the idea at all. Ugly is in the eye of the beholder, after all. What might be ugly to someone might be cute or humorous to someone else.

14. I prefer dolls that aren't too realistic in appearance. I don't mind if there is just a hint of realism in sculpts, though. I seem to be largely drawn to dolls with big doe-like eyes and tiny noses and dainty lips, too, and I do find the anime aesthetic to be quite adorable as well. I also really like a lot of fantasy style and anthro dolls, too. ^_^

The clothing tastes can vary a bit for me. In general, I love a wide range of fashion styles, and I tend to just pick something that I think suits the look of a particular doll. For example, my msd girl, Serenade, likes elegant and cute fashions with shimmery fabrics, lace, and gems and crystals, while Momoka likes frilly dresses that wouldn't be out of place in a magical girl anime, and Claire's style is cute and girlish, something that you would most likely find a real little girl wearing. I admit though that I'm especially drawn to anything with pastel colors or with cute patterns on them over most other things.

As for sizes, most of the dolls I gravitate towards seem to be MSD or YoSD, while there are only a couple I want that are SD, so the smaller dolls definitely outnumber the larger ones.

15. This is a really interesting question! I find I'm drawn more to "cutesy" dolls, with big eyes and button noses, and prefer MSD sizes or smaller generally. (I'm absolutely weak for Kid Delfs.) SDs are so big (though I may get one if I have the right character for it), MSD is just a perfect size for me, not too big and not too small!

When it comes to clothing style, I would love to have lots of fancy, fantasy clothes and things like that, but it depends on what the character would wear. (For example, Aelic, my KDF Darae, would be sooo cute in fantasy stuff, but his character wears jeans and sweatshirts. I'm currently on the lookout for a sculpt to be my fantasy canvas!) I also seem to gravitate to boys, especially in larger sizes; I think I just like the style of the clothes and stuff more for them? I'm not really sure why!

I also love tinies with personality, like the PukiFee Pongpong. His little smile is the cutest!

As for weird or "ugly" dolls, I think it'd depend! I like monster-ish characters (and have created several) so I think I could definitely love a weird-looking doll if it fit with one of those characters.

16. Aesthetic-wise, I go for conventionally attractive / cute faces and body types! It ranges from younger sculpts such as LUTS KDF to realistically proportioned Iplehouse EIDs. I have looked around and the more unique sculpts don't strike my fancy, although I do admire the dedication and creativity that goes into them!

17. I love child-like, huge eyed dolls in the tiny sizes. They look so playful and make me smile. My favorites are somewhere between anime and realistic. But lately I've been thinking of getting a much larger doll... partly because of an event head I haven't decided what to do with yet.

As far as how I style them, I prefer dressy/floofy/costume type looks.

18. I like semirealistic dolls with eyes slightly bigger than real life. I like doll that look like late teens, early twenties. Which is probably why I seem to prefer guy sculpts. Most girls seem to be either heavily stylized or super realistic, so if I ever get another girl it will probably be a hybrid with a male sculpt. And most sculpts I like are SDs. Mostly neutral faces, so I can tweak their expression.

I don't have bodies yet, but I like modern and period styles.

As for ugly, I do want a goblin tiny. I believe it is called Ugly Cute?

19. I love the look of most MSD dolls. I really like pouty, baby-ish faces like minifee Ante. I used to dislike that but I've come to like it. I also like youthful, slim bjds. Wide hips. All that craze. Lately I've been digging centaurs.

20. I like dolls of all sizes and styles. If I had to declare an overall 'style' for my collection, it would probably be "Whimsical Vintage". I like my dolls to be doll-like.

Would I love an ugly doll? Heck, yes! I've seen some really unconventional dolls that are just fantastic. :D