1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What is your style like when it comes to dolls?

Jan 6, 2017

1. I like the 1/4 range because it's not too big and not too small. I also like maturely sculpted bodies and softer faces (but not complete baby face, more like semi realistic.)

As for clothes, I prefer cute dresses or historical clothing.

2. My aesthetic for dolls is usually pretty soft. Long, delicate eyelashes are my weakness...
      All of my girls look gentle but my boys tend to have more personality (mischievous, smirky, etc.)
      I also really like vampire teeth, so half of my dolls have little fangs...

As far as clothes go, mine are all over the place lol. I really like full sets, though, because it can sometimes be troublesome for me to try and figure out what kind of clothing will fit the look I want.

3. I really like seeing the dolls that adorn K fashion or Victorian styles, but they always seem to be SDs. I think MSD is the size for me, but so many of the sculpts I like tend to be SDs. I'd really like to see more mature MSDs, but also not too mature. Just not so wide eyed and baby faced.

4. I like soft, feverish face-ups and melancholic expressions. I prefer a Luts-level of balance between realism and stylized, and prefer them to look mid-teens to mid-twenties. Eyes are probably the most important feature for me, though I have a big soft spot for 'ugly' noses. For clothing I like historically inspired gowns with beautiful details with lace and ruffles, but strongly dislike raschel lace.

5. I tend to only collect 1/3 scale, and I prefer about a 50/50 balance between realism and stylization. Companies like Elfdoll, Migidoll, Oasisdoll, and some Iplehouse and recent Volks molds all tend to fit the bill. Fairyland (aside from Feeple65) tends to veer too far into stylization for me, and some companies can get too realistic. Everybody pretty universally has to have nice eyes and lips, haha!

While my dolls' characters are from a fantasy story, I kind of treat my dolls as an almost modern/college AU. I really love fashion, so I like modern clothing for them, and they all tend to have their own varying personal styles. One of my girls is very femme, wears almost exclusively dresses and never black, while another dresses in earth tones (lots of olive drab!) and shorts. I love developing each doll's aesthetic.

6. I am mostly drawn to fantasy/magical dolls but I am still defining my style and taste. I absolutely love chibis but do not own a single one! I admire seeing original dolls with original pieces within the fantasy/magical category. I am also drawn to bright POP colors (80's & 90's tend to resonate with me).

As for aliens, I just recently followed an artist on IG (@dead_seagull) who draws 'ugly' alien creatures and find them all to be amazing pieces. @squid.licker is another great example of this type of art. There's really beauty in all of it.

7. This is so similar to my general doll aesthetic that I had a weird deja vu "is this my post" feeling reading it :lol:

I also stick to 1:3, and to dolls with that same level of stylized realism-- realistic but still definitely dolls. Elfdoll, Supia, April Story, older Iple sculpts like my Iplehouse Audrey...that's the same level of realism and proportions all my dolls fit into.

I tend to put a lot of focus on making sure they have pretty eyes and nice wigs that have realistic styles and don't just read as "wig". For faceups, I like them to be kind of the same as the level of stylization the dolls themselves have: realistic enough to make the faces look soft and alive, but stylized enough to be artistic. And just about all of my girls definitely have a makeup look to their faceups-- which goes along with the fact that I'm hugely inspired by human fashion and really enjoy giving each doll a distinct personal style of their own. I love sewing for my dolls, and my biggest sources of ideas are usually stuff like fashion magazines and similar.

8. After getting a couple anthros, without a doubt, I love those the most! All sizes, no preference there though I won't have many large dolls only due to how much space they take up.

I also love fantasy dolls, like centaurs (I have none) and fauns. I am sure regular humans are best for dress up though (I have one on order), I can't use magnetic anthro parts with some outfits, and tails take up a lot more room than you'd expect when they do go on.

Clothing I don't have one preference. I'd say my favorites probably fall under boho, big poofy dresses (not lolita or princessy, I think they are typically called Western?), fantasy, and steampunk. I also like simple casual, like t-shirts, shorts and loungewear that don't take up an extra 12 inches of space when on display. I am not a fan of pants or jeans for my dolls, just like myself in real life haha.

9. I thought I was going to be a 1/6th child-sized doll collector through and through when I got started, but NOPE I am all about the 1/3 sized dolls. I am so glad I ended up feeling obligated to order a 1/3 from Comi Baby when I saw she looked like the sister of my 1/6th Cutie Peridot. Life changing :lol:

Now my absolute favorites are my Unoa Zeroes which are both 1/3... but it makes me feel so guilty? Because the others are wonderful in their own way, but they just don't have that oomph and friendly weight when I pick them up. I don't know how best to explain it.

Well, I guess I have to also remember that my most special dear doll is my Snow Delia (profile photo) .. she is a 1/4 but she gets special status that cannot be compared with any other ranking :sweat

When it comes to clothing, I would like to have most of my dolls eventually look as though they all just went shopping at a Hot Topic in the early 2000s, but it'll probably take a while. That vibe in my view ranges from punk to grunge to super bright, but there's always something a bit edgy about it. Makes me feel at home ... lol.

10. I have been really interested in getting an anime style bjd, I love the idea of making custom eyes for them! I used to really want boy dolls but I realized I don't like dressing them up as much XD

11. I tend to really like the 65-75cm boys, sort of swimmer's build in body. Many of my guys end up having long hair in the end. Narrower eyes in the face are what I like rather than the large eyes, which works out since most of the large boys I see tend to have smaller eyes.

12. I'm very odd in that I absolutely love Goth, Jrock, and steampunk styled doll photos and images, but my personal collection is geared towards adult male dolls with realistic features. I do have some clothing of the above - but my dolls, if dressed, tend to wear modern casual, suits, or Chinese style outfits.

13. I like 1/3 semirealistic sculpts—realistic in the anatomical details present such as hints of dimples and creases and underlying bone structure to where it is clear the artist studied real anatomy closely, but intentionally stylized/idealized somewhat in the scale and placement of the facial features for artistic impact and beauty. Female dolls can get away with more doll-like features such as larger eyes, slimmer necks and smaller hands than male dolls with me, but I still need my crew to look like they belong together.

For bodies I feel the same— anatomical realism in the details, and in proportion to a point. Realistic leg length is almost impossible but I try to find shorter legs where I can. My greatest peeves/turnoffs are too-large heads, and elbows that have a chunky lip or shelf when bent where the upper and lower arm pieces are meant to meet around the peanut. I also dislike wrists that look overly sleevelike, rounded or bulky, or big muscles that look slapped-on. But I don’t actually mind the sight of joints themselves when they flow with the body and I will almost always choose more joints over fewer since I often wire my dolls and they are nearly always clothed.

My dolls wear either modern clothing according to the individual’s style or medieval fantasy. I used to be active in lolita fashion though (sweet and gothic), and I still love it dearly, so on the rare occasion I spot a doll scale print or well-done doll ‘coord’ I want it so badly!

I like a hint of a facial expression; enough to avoid a frozen vacant ‘doll’ look and add character without limiting me too greatly in the emotions they can model.

I love to see well-done mature fantasy dolls such as angels and centaurs (!) and strange limbs that could pass for dragons or birds or aquatic creatures etc within that same semirealistic anatomically detailed category but because I have to be so intentional in my collecting for financial and display space reasons I doubt I could ever buy one.

Don’t care for extreme chibi dolls, small stylized animals, ‘ugly cute’ or aliens or insects. I like a bloody toothy vampire now and again, especially with a roaring/snarling expression, but otherwise not into gore or horror.

14. I prefer anime-style (like DD) but BJD is also fine by me if she is not too realistic. Cheerful and "Heroine-like" are my preference. I couldn't describe much when it comes to the details. But if she catch my eyes at first sight, she will be welcomed into my house for sure lol. 1/3 or 1/4 is fine by me since I got both of them.

For the wearing, I prefer cute/lovely dress. Lolita girls is tend to gain a plus affection for me.

I am still narrowing my preference thought, still a long journey for this hobby.

15. A mix of surreal and antique looking! i love body horror and gijinkas as well and they go together nicely! Examples would be Koitsukihime or etsuko miura!

16. When it comes to realism, I love a halfway point; not quite "anime" but not quite realistic, either. I am also in an in-between stage when it comes to how old the doll looks, since I dislike a doll looking too old or too young. Maybe a youthful freshness is what I look for?

And in terms of style, I lean more towards alt fashion styles than regular modern looks. For example, I'm very into lolita and steampunk looks, so I'd probably blend those sorts of looks.

17. I love realistic dolls that can be styled for high fashion. I stay away from anime or character dolls.

18. I collect 1/4th dolls and I own a lot of old mnfs like from before 2016 lol. Style depends on the character but I usually go for a dark alternative/emo/goth kinda look although I do have some softer styles. I really want to have a mori style and a lolita style doll someday.

19. I am most drawn towards cute and elegant dolls, and when I dress them it’s usually in really cute dresses or like they are some kind of nature spirit. I really like it when you can see the sculpt of the doll so they’re usually dressed really simple.

20. My bjd style? Hmm—I'd describe it as eclectic. Common traits amongst most my crew—SD, elf ears, more mature features, a variety of unnatural hair colors. I also tend to lean more towards unique or less common facial features and narrower eyes. I'm also cute-averse. I prefer more adult sculpts over baby/child-like ones. Variety is key—same-iness grows dull and monotonous.

As for styles in dress, theme? Variety for guys, gals and enbies. Androgyny and pushing gender boundaries is a must. No bright, cutesie, frilly dresses for the gals (unless it's gothic—Nira likes that), or formal suits for the guys. I'm still developing the style of garb for my special OCs, as it'll tie into their cultures and personalities from the universe they belong in.

Really, I feel like this phrase might sum it up perfectly: "variety is the spice of life."