1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What kind of doll clothing do you think is the worst?

Apr 4, 2011

1. This is not good nor bad. Many of us prefer our boys to wear huge clunky goth boots, and despise bland boring ordinary shoes that look like something you'd pick up at WalMart.

And if you don't want shoes that look like doll shoes, you do have to shell out a little more $$$ for them. Quality shoes are one place NOT to economize, because you generally really do get what you pay for.... I have bought enough years' worth of doll shoes, from enough different companies, to learn this lesson. Economize on T-shirts, underwear, or accessories, but not shoes.

... Or jeans. Really good jeans that're constructed like jeans, & fit the doll the way jeans fit a person, are almost always pricey. But I think they're worth splashing out a few more bucks. The alternative is ill-fitting & out-of-scale jeans that makes your doll look like he's wearing a wide-wale denim garbage bag.

2. The first thing that popped into my mind was Barbie/FTBM/ect clothes that clearly don't fit or are meant for a little girl's doll. It's my biggest pet peeve in this hobby; I just don't understand why people shell out hundreds of dollars for a doll and then dress it in sloppy, poorly made clothes that just look awful, IMO.

This fits into the "poor fit" and "clothes that look like doll clothes" points made already though I guess. :p

3. This. Also, things that are really ill-fitting and anything that's horribly out of scale in stitch, trim, print or button/zipper/lacing size.

4. I'm definitely coming to that conclusion with shoes, as I've got too many that are out of scale sitting around here *sigh*. The dealer boots I splurged on at a Sumika look fabulous. Wish they came in my size :lol: But there are actually plenty of sneakers around if you look, and you don't want a goth/loli/whathaveyou style.

Jeans, too, I agree are tough. I've even had somewhat more expensive ones and they still don't look that great. My Volks jeans I like, though. Pants all around can be an issue.

I do get a little tired of v-neck sweaters that reveal half the chest and sometimes half the back as well. A little bit of that is nice, but too often I think it's more a matter of ease of dress than style. I'd rather have some discreet snaps down the back than worry about resin nipple showing when he just isn't that flashy a guy normally . . . :sweat On button-down shirts, collars are often too big, too.

5. I think the worst kind of clothing is imaginary clothing.

I have 3 dolls that have been sitting naked for months because I can't find the time to make them clothes, nor can I find any premade/made-to-order clothes that suit their personalities.

6. I'm echoing a lot of what's already been said; things that look like doll clothes, poorly constructed, out-of-scale, bulky velcro down the back (to eat your wigs, of course) and an insanely small pool of shoes to choose from. I don't want dress shoes, I don't want chunky lolita shoes, I don't want huge clunky goth boots, hooker heels or any of that. I like plain, thin-soled timeless shoes, such as Dale Rae's flats or Dollheart's Saturn boots. Heck, even Nine9style's current booties fit that description.

There's probably more, I just can't think of them all at the moment.

7. I have to go with the "anything that looks like doll clothes." Which for me, means any t-shirts/regular shirts with back closures. It may make it easier to put on the doll, but I really do not like how it looks on my doll. I want my dolls' clothes to look like people clothes... granted if people could afford those kinds of clothes.

Pants with elastic waists, too. The '80's are dead... don't make zombie-'80's.

8. I don't mind back closures but I HATE it when the closure is velcro-especially the really thick kind, as it can ruin the lines of the garment. Even the thin kind will snag other clothes-which is why I prefer snaps or laces.
      glory

9. For me it is 'doll clothes that look like doll clothes' or clothes that don't fit properly.

I also dislike the use of velcro, I end up wrecking clothes that use it. I am mostly bothered by baggy clothes or poorly made clothes. (So that means I hate almost everything I make X3) It's just not my liking.

10. I agree!!! too tiny button drive me crazy!!!!

11. I personally really dislike clothing with unfinished hems/edges. Not only do they make the doll look unkempt (In my opinion, some love it for a character or whatever) but sometimes the little strings get caught on the hands when dressing them, too.

12. Cheap looking clothing and anything that stains.

I want my boy's clothing to be as good as mine, man.

13. I hate when shirts have a wide neckline to allow the head to fit through, but then they sit way out on the doll's shoulders. I'll sacrifice convenience and take my doll's head off to clothe them if it means a shirt that looks like a shirt and not a sack.

14. Tube socks.

I know it's hard to make clothes for some of us (me included), and not everyone can buy outfits, but a cut-up sock? Really?

15. Preppy school uniforms for boys. They tend to be too formal for what I'm going for.

16. Barbie/other dolls clothes, badly done home-made where strings and strands are sticking out and the edges are frayed and home-made where it was all glued (I know it's hard but gluing clothes together... just no).
      Doesn't fit isn't so much of an issue. Pants that fit MSDs looking baggy on MNFs is kinda adorable to me X3

17. Also, pretty much anything I've sewn.

18. Velcro!

I absolutely hate it. i LOVE snaps.
      I have a handful of velcro closing items and as much as i love them i hate putting them on my doll! they snag her wig and i don't like taking it off (it's hard to get on just right), and on 2 of the outfits the velcro is DESTROYING them. Why would any company use velcro on a really snaggy fabric (like chiffon or lace)? it really baffles me how so little care can go into the construction of their own garment.
      I can understand that applying an "invisible" snap with no stitches showing can be a pain in the rear sometimes, but it's not completely impractical to do either.

As for out of scale prints i notice that many human outfits have flowers or images that seem to out of scale for our clothing and yet it's passable.
      So some over sized prints can look very cute/nice. Some however clearly don't. (I.E. a floral print where you can't fit the flowers into part of the outfit, that i think looks bad).

Poorly coordinated sets. While this is rare it is out there.
      I've seen a few instances where a manufacturer will have a set with beads or laces where the colors or patterns are inconsistent.
      I understand if you run out and have to change the materials slightly, but why release an outfit with half of one and half of the other when all the rest are done properly?
      If it's an online store i think a notice should be put up as soon as you realize you need to change materials. it only takes a couple minutes to edit a page to say "we have changed such and such material".
      It happens a lot with accessories too.
      It just seems very sloppy to me.

Not paying attention to the materials needs!
      Like easily frayed fabrics, Some fabrics need a little bit of extra work to finish them so they last and come out with strength, too often have i seen companies release outfits with fabrics that fray or are too delicate to hold up under the cheap and easy way they usually do their clothing. This irritates me more than anything because as soon as i get an outfit i inspect the stitching and if i know the stitching for that fabric isn't done right i try to go over it and finish it so it won't rip or fray like crazy after just wearing it a few times. For the price of these outfits more care really needs to be shown to this i think.

other than echoing the more popular answers here i think i've covered everything thats bugged me in the past.

19. I hate clothing made from floral print be it home made or company made. Clothing that stains. Worst clothing is the pants that don't stay button when the doll sits or has a gab in the back.

20. DoA needs a 'like' button if for only this post.

I make all my own clothes but I have an issue with shoes. My SD that's coming is going to have to go shoeless. My MSD has sneakers that were keychains, which look really good despite the fact that they're both left feet. I never like any of the shoes I find, though. I don't want those plain slip-on shoes, but I also don't want boots and I DON'T want to spend $45 for doll shoes. I don't spend that much on my own shoes. So my MSD wears keychain sneakers and my SD will go shoeless for most likely forever. It's not as much being cheap as it is I really enjoy making my own clothes for my dolls and I can't make shoes. Then the second part is I can't find any shoes I would want for my doll's character and lastly that if I found a pair I liked but they were $40 I wouldn't get them.