1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What kind of eyes do you shop for?

Oct 8, 2016

1. I have had so many issues over the years with acrylic eyes cracking or becoming cloudy and discolored that I stick to glass eyes only. I have one pair of soft silicone eyes that has held up well, but debris tends to stick to them.

I have experimented with cat eyes, pupil-less, fantasy colors... but I really favor the most realistic-looking irises and pupils. I have a ton of eyes in brown, green, and all the shades in-between. I always seem to return to brown and green.

I know it doesn't really matter how "old" the eyes are, but I can't pass up buying "vintage" glass eyes on eBay, especially in my preferred colors. Some of them come in old-fashioned cases.

2. I've had glass, resin, and acrylic eyes. IMO, the glass ones are the best. They have a beautiful shine to them. I wouldn't exactly call it "lifelike," but...There is a certain "alive" quality to them. I've heard some resin eyes also have that quality, but I haven't seen it for myself.

3. For me it’s all character driven, so I have all kinds of eyes...glittery acrylics (her eyes are only barely open and these show up the best,) regular acrylics (the doll came with them and they were just too perfect a color to swap out,) multiple glass (various companies,) multiple urethanes (Mako and ED...and of course the gorgeous jeweled Oscar eyes!) Basically, whatever works best for that character.:)

4. I am glad that folks are still responding to this question because it leads me to a question of my own.

I only have one BJD, an Iplehouse BID, so my experience with eyes is limited.

Here is my question. Does anyone know where I can find a photo online of a BJD with 12 mm eyes standing next to one with
      14 mm eyes?

I just mentioned this in a different posting and thought I would repeat it here as this posting is about eyes.

I am planning to get a Lati Yellow and I want to see which eyes would best suit her. My thinking is that the 14 mm would show less of the white than the 12 mm.

5. I prefer glass eyes since they are so bright.

6. I mainly buy glass eyes with low domes, they fit into all my dolls very well and I love the realistic look of them:3nodding:

7. I prefer the more realistic styled eyes~ :)

8. I have almost 0 interest in realism and enjoy any sort of eye that lacks an iris, especially if it's glittery and/or a cute pastel color!

9. I prefer glass and resin eyes.

10. Glass, definitely. They have that depth that my dolls eyes need imo. I've tried acrylics but they just weren't my thing. Resin would be really fun to try but I've yet to find any in color and style I want :(

11. I prefer resin eyes, but I only have one pair at the moment. I really like anime-style eyes for my dolls, and they're easiest to find as acrylic, so that's what I usually go with.

12. I mostly use resin eyes. They have this nice shine I really adore. I own a lot of glass eyes that were included with my doll, but I prefer the resin.

Maybe the glass simply weren’t the ideal size.

13. I'm definitely more attracted to fantasy-type eyes, I don't have a preference for acrylic or glass yet, my doll came with a set of blue eyes that I ended up really liking, so i'm not sure if i'll replace them or not. Though, I am tempted to mix and match his eyes.... I have a lot to learn though, and plenty of time to experiment. ;)

Speaking of eyes, though, does anyone have a favorite place to buy eyes?

14. It started with glass in wild colors.
      I've shifted toward acrylic ones with bright colors and tones.
      I've become such a fan of eyes with a lot of sparkle in them.
      I can be picky with color. I try not to have repeats in color, or particular style with my dolls.
      Eyes are a large part of a dolls appeal, it takes a bit of experimenting before a doll likes the eyes they have....

15. My favorites are acrylic sparkly eyes. I also like more realistic eyes if the colors aren’t realistic (own a pink and purple one). Snake/cat pupils are also very welcome.
      I like fantasy, so I usually choose the opposite of “realistic” or “ordinary”.