1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What kind of wigs do you prefer?

Feb 28, 2017

1. My favorite are mohair wigs. I love the look they give to my dolls. I also like many of the Monique wigs. They have so many colors and styles to choose from at a reasonable price.

2. Heat-resistant synthetic wigs all the way. I dislike how sloppy short mohair wigs look and how overly poofy the longer ones are.

3. I just discovered and obtained my first soy fiber wig, and that's currently my favorite. It's incredibly soft and "in-scale", and when you brush or style it, it stays that way without product. It also looks more like human hair than faux fur does, at least to me. But it IS pricier and only a few people make them, so most of my dolls will retain their synthetic fiber wigs.

Currently experimenting with yarn because I've seen some great wigs made from that.. but I've also seen some I really didn't like. I also like mohair/lamb/angora on certain dolls and in certain styles, but sometimes it just looks like a big poof. Though really, I think you can make any wig look good if you take the time to style it properly and know what you're doing. By the same token, you can make anything look bad if you don't.

4. I really like the look of synthetic wigs! I just think they have so much more versatility than fur wigs, but that's just my opinion~

5. My personal favorite is also alpaca~ I think the softness is just something I find charming :3

6. I really like the mohair wigs. For other styles I really like the Monique and Jpop wigs.

7. I have just a few wigs. Most are synthetic and 1 mohair. I love the mohair and really dislike most of the synthetics. It may just be a poor understanding of doll wig styling, but my synthetics have a real fake look to me. The red wig in my avatar seems to look great no matter what I do to it. It was a bit spendy though.

8. Synthetic mohair and just regular synthetic fibers are my favorite. Some of the angora wigs I have seen are so lovely, but sometimes I can't justify to myself the price tag :pout:

The synthetic wigs are pretty easy to care for and style, and they hold up pretty well over time.

9. Anything affordable and looks good on my dolls is perfect.

10. Actually, synthetic yarn wigs.

I've tried alpaca and soy fiber - just gets messy too easily. Yarn has the same fine fiber (after it's brushed out of course) but is easier to control

11. Mohair and synthetic mohair are my favorites.

12. It depends on my character's hair quality/texture for me. ^^

13. I definitely prefer synthetic wigs

14. I have best luck with synthetic fiber wigs. I'm not always careful enough to keep a mohair wig looking nice. I like the looks of some fur wigs, but so far I haven't found a style of one I like on any of my dolls.

15. The scale of the fibers of faux fur wigs works very well for dolls, especially the tinier ones, but cutting and styling it is frustrating (probably the reason most people just leave them looking like huge puffy scene kid hairdos :sweat)! Monique wigs are also very fine and soft and in-scale and the range of styles/colors is very impressive. I own two Moniques and honestly sometimes I'll just sit and pet my doll's head because they're...just...so...soft :D The styling holds up well too! I'd also really like to try making my own hardcap brushed yarn wigs sometime soon. I have a few tutorials for different styles hoarded and ready to go, i just need to go buy yarn lol. Hopefully making and styling a few of those would improve my fur wig skills too.

16. For me, it depends on the style. For short styled hair and long straight hair, I like heat-resistant synthetic fibers. For short wigs that don't really need a specific style, I generally go for fur wigs just because they're easy and cheap (usually). I think curly/wavy long wigs look better in natural fibers like alpaca or mohair; they just look more realistic to me. I'd love to try some other types like plant fibers or brushed yarn, but I haven't had any experience with them yet!

17. I try to avoid animal fibers. So I started experimenting with brushed acrylic yarn and my own sculpted wigs. So far I'm loving the fine scale of the yarn and it can be pretty manageable in terms of styling. The hard sculpted wig gave me the Leslie Howard-esque style I've been wanting. I've also tried soy and viscose fibers in the past and it was nice but pricey.

18. Leeke Premium Mohair are my forever favourite, so sad they're mostly out of stock.
      I mostly buy heat-resistant fiber, anyway. Leeke, Luts, Crobi - they're my favourite in questions of quality. Fur wigs tend to look quite messy imao )

19. Wow! I found this thread really interesting, made me think. I had never thought too hard before about wigs, I always just seemed to fancy the ones that look somewhat real and just nice in general without breaking the bank. :p

20. I prefer short hair so I'm drawn to any well-styled hard cap with a natural hair line. I really don't care what the fiber is, honestly, although I don't prefer the thick shiny synthetics (nylon, wig-grade kanekalon, etc.). I think any fiber can look good as long as it's well-applied and not frizzy at the roots.

Faux fur wigs without a hairline bug me a bit, they're like big puffy hats. Faux fur has lots of shorter filler hairs that make it thick so the end feels abrupt. Same with short stretchy-cap synthetic wigs. I need that hairline!