1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What look is your absolute favorite for BJDs?

Dec 18, 2004

1. hmmm, that's a tuffie.
      there are so many different looks.
      in a boy, I like a youngish, well, boyish face. Someone who looks like they'd have dirt under their fingernails.
      for a girl though, I like the perky, innocent, naiive look.

it's difficult for me to decide.

2. I like variety! I try to have a little bit of everything in my group... lovely mature princess dresses? Frilly Lolita dresses? Fruits? Casual? Business-wear? Vintage? I like to sample them all. ;) No serious punk or goth in the group yet, but I suspect one will turn up eventually.

As for sculpts and faceups... I also like a variety, from the crazy-colorful fruits/punk creation that is Iris, to soft natural faceups on a few, and one with vintage pinup-girl makeup, to fantasy and harlequin faceups. I am drawn to sculpts with expressive lips though, particularly soft smiles or smirks (though there are a couple of pouts and one sultry partly-open mouth in the bunch).

Body types? Slim, curvy, mature, youthful, skinny, muscular... I really do think variety is the spice of life! :lol:

3. I notice that I'm drawn to an otherworldly, timeless, unreachable/inaccessible look. The doll may appear humanlike but something about their presence or behaviour is a bit alien, y'know? I'm not talking about elves or vampires but beyond that, something even more removed from humanity. All my dolls (both "in the flesh" and still in my head) are either immortal or not human, and one of my goals is to give them a timeless and somewhat inhuman air. I really admire people who have achieved that quality with their dolls!

As far as sculpts, I definitely like neutral faces whose expressions can be different depending on the angle or direction of viewing. I don't think many sculpts can achieve this successfully.

4. I really like a BJD that looks happy and alert. I tend to stay away from dolls with eyes dreamily closing or closed. Also, dolls whose mouths seem to turn down or just sit blankly on their jaw. I like a hint of smile. :) I guess I really prefer the facial characteristics of female dolls.

I'm attracted to a doll that looks kind. As far as style I prefer a more artistic approach but in keeping with the kind and demure appearance. Bright colors and unique hair are a total MUST for my doll. :) And of course some one of a kind awesome clothing. My current doll is like a Lolita Cowgirl Gunslinger, if that's possible LOL

5. Huge eyes and too much 'cuuuuuuute!!' is mostly a turn-off for me. So are most girly girl BJDs in general :sweat But I adore androgynous boys with faces that practically scream "I'm up to no good" :aheartbea

Besides that I tend to instantly like any kind of doll where you can see that the owner modded the hell out of it :abow: And I really don't care if the result is a zombie or a fairy princess.

6. hmmmm, I guess it would mainly depend on the character of the doll. But if I were to pick a style in general...I'd like the elegant fantasy/RPG style look. outfits that look well made with details and such. Not anything like cutesy fairytale "kiddie" style (dress that are "princess" styled but no real detail).

7. Most of my dolls have a "natural" look, but I do like a slightly dark tinge to the outer edge of the eye. :\ I tried gothic on one of my dolls, and that didn't work so well.

8. This is hard to pick for me. I like a range of facial expressions and attitudes from my dolls. Sweet, snarky, bashful, sleepy, mopey, I like it all. It just depends on the character in mind.

For the girls, I seem to like variety when it comes to face sculpts and stylization. Loa is sweet and innocent looking, Ti is confused and comical, Clover is mischievious and smart, Holly is annoyed, Myrtle is worried or peaceful/sleepy, Rosey is beautiful and poised. I don't find any of them pretty or compelling in the same way as the others are, and that's what I strive for. That being said, the one thing they do all have in common is that they all look fairly young. To me, none of them look like they could be more than 16 years old. I haven't gotten into the really busty girls who look like adults, so one could say I like more immature, cute looking girls. Also, I generally like for my girls to be more natural looking. I dislike dark lip coloring like they are wearing lipstick too.

When it comes to boys, I like both immature and mature looking ones. I like the cute younger boys, but then I also have a thing for Soom's male sculpts too (but who doesn't really? :D). The boys are a little more random for me. I will say I don't like super girly boys, and to the other extreme I don't like "beefy" men (like Akando) either.

9. When it comes to what I look at, I have no real preference. I find beauty in so many styles; I love seeing variety.

But what just makes me utterly coo, are those mischievous, smirky, troublemakers in bandannas and jeans who look like they just love to cuss and will pick your pocket :lol: Scrapes and bruises are a plus.
      I'm not generally attracted to too big eyes and blank smiles. I love lips and an overall "this is my scheming face" look.
      That goes for both girls and boys.
      I like my girls spunky, and busty is a plus ;) (but not a must)
      Those are the dolls I like to own.
      My little wannabe-gangsters.

Except for my big boy. He's just plain weird.
      I don't even know what he is- he does have bruises though!

10. I'm a huge sucker for smirking lips, or an assertive smile sometimes bordering on arrogance, for both female and male dolls. I also seem to gravitate more towards slightly narrowed or heavy-lidded eyes rather than wide-open innocence, as endearing as the latter may be. With these two conditions in mind, that usually means I have a preference for the more mature sculpts of the larger dolls -- which isn't to say that I'm immune to the charms of an MSD or a tiny. Far from it, actually. XD;

When it comes to clothing styles or themes, however, I'm up for just about anything. I love the versatility of BJDs that allows them to become just about anything you can dream of; it's just a pity that compiling wardrobes for them can be such a costly endeavor. ^^;;

11. i like antique, shabby-chic type clothes. ragged victorian i guess. ^_^

12. I like the cross-dressing lolita boys (sd sizes). Gothic is great too for any doll. I also like traditional japanese clothed dolls.

13. One look at my crew could tell you that I love dolls with soft, gentle eyes and equally gentle smiles, or wistful, quiet expressions. I adore happy dolls; I don't like downturned pouts or frowns. I like faceups that are colourful but at the same time, natural. And I love mixing and matching casuals together with formals as well as traditional Japanese wear.

14. I'm basically a sucker for a character look, happy, sad, thoughtful, dreamy, just about any doll that really expresses an emotion. I'm definitely not into cute "little kid" looks or even simply beautiful dolls. I like them to have something to say & that can come either from the sculpt itself or from the face-up.

15. Ah, I like either scary or artsy looking dolls the best. Strangely though, my dolls are all pretty normalish at the moment.

16. Uniqueness, I suppose. I like dolls that have "presence" and are very well thought out. Depth is a very important key word. Without depth, the doll is just another pretty thing on the forum. If the owner's concept comes through and really effects me at first glance, that's the look I favor above all.

It's difficult to explain. ^^;;

17. Mm i seem to like a mixture of 17th century but a bit of the 1920's look as well. Darker but elaborate outfits really catch my eye. I prefer more of the unique forms of the gothic aristocrat style/steampunk style.

Maybe those arent near the same thing xD but i love those styles a ton.

18. Older, more mature and realistic is what I like to own. I also love modern clothes or maybe a punk/biker look.

Well-coordinated and themed dolls are what I like to look at in the galleries and in person. I adore wide-eyed girls with blue hair and matching blue eyes and contrasting clothes.

19. For me, it really depends on the doll. All of my dolls are either modern or futuristic in clothing styles, which is unfortunately harder to find than some of the more period pieces!

Other than my LTF and my pukis, all of my dolls are adults in age, and finding more mature pieces can be a bit rough...even if one of them is rather childish and odd despite being an adult.

I love the sheer versatility of looks; I love seeing one mold be a very sweet lolita, but someone else has made the same mold a mature steampunk, or goth, or..whatever.

That's part of the appeal for me, just how many different styles can be expressed with these dolls!

20. I like the older kind of casual looks.