1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What originally got you into BJDs? - Pt.2

Oct 21, 2017

1. I found put about them throughout Gaia Online. Someone had their doll as their signature picture and I was in awe.
      I then started a huge hunt to find out anything and everything I could about them!

Took me a few years before I got my first doll though but I can still see that picture in my mind!

Thankful to whoever it was for having the decency to reply to me and help me begin this journey. However, my bank account is not lol

2. Well being a toy collector is what made me into it. I’m still a teen and starting a few years ago I would collect a lot of super hero and anime figures...also comic books of course...I was rlly into collecting things. It was a big hobby of mine. And well...a family member of mine that has the same interest as me came across the bjds at first. He introduced them to me and from the start I loved them! The figures I was used to collecting were only a few inches tall but then I saw how big these bjds were (70cm) and I was blown away. When I first saw pictures I thought they were the tiny of regular toy figures but I saw one and person and I was like holy cow! I fell so in love with them because of the size and the art of them. I am a artist myself and admire every aspect of art and thinking about the work put into bjds just made me love them even more! So....what got me into bjds is...my love for art and love for collecting figures lol.

3. A Barbie Bazzar Mag with BJD's in it. Long time ago. Bought my first BJD, a Soom Gem Kyrie. Never see these around anymore.
      Love the older sculpt of dolls.

4. My friends, who already have some BJD's.

5. I’ve been a Blythe doll collector for over a decade and many of my blythe friends also collect bjd’s. I think it was just a matter of time really and I find my doll tastes have changed many times over the years.

6. So many stories begin with the similar version 'I saw a picture of a bjd'-- the well done ones are definitely a huge draw to the eye!

pleasant-type lol @ the Gaia Online-- I remember when I started to see bjd groups proliferate there and it gives me a fond giggle to remember those Gaia Online days.

7. I saw bjds on tumblr. I just stumbled upon them on day a few years back and then I stumbled upon them again on instagram and I was so interested in them. I don’t have a really interesting story of how i got into bjds but i’m pretty sure that’s how most people found out about them. Just randomly finding them online

8. I was looking around the internet, to find different fashion styles and such, when I was stumbled by a video on youtube with the name elfgutz in the title. I googled it and found elfgutz's Instagram. I was super amazed at their dolls and when I saw the tag 'bjd' i googled it and found swandzz's channel, and learned from there.

I left the hobby after getting my first doll since I was scammed and felt bad about it. but when i started to look around again, I saw somniacrawlerdolls's Nara and went back in the hobby again! :D

9. I like to build miniature models, and when I was googling for dollhouses I saw a picture of a strange looking doll. It drew my attention and 2 weeks later I bought a Lati Yellow. :lol:

10. Deviantart was the main inspiration for me!

11. I think I first found out about BJD when I was in school. That time me and my friend loves to draw and make up stories. So one day we were talking about making a story about living doll and their owner (typical story I know haha). I went to the internet to look up for some reference for the dolls and that's where I pretty much found out about BJD. If I remember correctly, we were madly in love with Ducan from DOD :XD:

12. I saw a Migidoll Ryu randomly on the front page of DeviantArt and didn't even know what BJD's were.

13. One part was stumbling upon Enchanted Dolls website and being, well, enchanted.
      The other part was seeing people use BJD on Deviantart to make photostories for fandoms like Supernatural, using dolls made to look like the actors (I was rather into tv series as a teenager).
      It's taken probably a decade to actually buy one for myself, though.

14. For me I was on a super tiny forum around 9 years ago now, they had a small sub-section talking about dolls and everyone posted their BJD Wishlist, I googled 'cute BJD' because that's what they'd always describe them as and that's all I knew about them, I didn't even know what BJD stood for :lol:
      I found pictures of these super cute dolls I wanted and only recently actually learned about them, and it had been a pukifee ante I had been showing as the 'cute doll I wanted'

Now I've finally got one on the way, and I know what BJD stands for, that's progress :lol:

15. My writing. I was doing research for a story and came across this gorgeous doll. I researched the doll, what it was, and boom - i was hooked.

16. My first introduction to BJDs and what inspired me to want to collect, was attending an anime convention in New Orleans. It was my first time going to something like this and since I wasn't an anime fan at the time, I was reluctant, thinking I wouldn't enjoy myself since I wasn't familiar with it. What I was familiar with, was dolls and I have always been open to discovering new ones. This anime con was the last place I'd think to see dolls, but there they were..a panel for Asian Ball Jointed Dolls. I attended this convention for five years straight, just to see the collector's dolls and get more information. I'm happy to say, on my recent trip there, I was proud to be in attendance with my very first dolls, in hand. :)

As if I needed any more encouragement to be in love with BJDs, I fall in love with them again by being able to express my fashion sense and interests through them. It's not always easy to find the clothes I enjoy in my size, or enjoy styles that aren't quite work appropriate... but I can always find them for my dolls. It's tons of fun!

17. About 10 years ago, when I was in junior high school. I like cartoons very much, so I also like to watch cosplay. Once I saw a coser imitate a group of SD photos. Then I started to understand the BJD. I had my first doll in high school. I bought a pair of brothers with my friend. She bought younger brother.

18. A long, long time time ago, back in the livejournal days of yore, I used to see photosets of these amazing resin cast dolls that people would dress up, create clothes for, and make story-lines with. I just thought BJD's were (are) so unique in their design and mobility. They looked so sophisticated in the attention to detail and the care of which people- both designers, and collectors alike- took in every aspect of their vision.

I cosplayed a lot at the time too, and having a scaled model was also very appealing for sketching ideas, and making mock-ups for costumes!

19. Andreja's channel, Fairyland company and pictures on Google around 2015.

20. I had gone to Otacon and saw a few of them. Then I saw them in an anime magize. It was the early 2000s. I finally got one in 2006 after getting my first well paying job.
      I can't tell you who they were, but thank you random Otacon attendees!