1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What originally got you into BJDs? - Pt.2

Oct 21, 2017

1. Rosen maiden and chobits! But i only bought my 1st doll last year!

2. My close friend had two snow miku dollfies, and recently I got into sewing, and I have been wearing lolita for five years! I wanted to make matching clothes with them for teaparties!

3. It was definitely the internet, but I can't remember where or what doll it may have been. I think I may have seen one in someone's signature on Gaia way way way back in the day.

4. I got started with Monster High Dolls, than went for Blythe and Pullip family, and in my search for better articulation, got to bjd's. I'm still trying to decide in my first doll, but the search is totally fun.

5. Honestly, I read a fanfiction from a show I adore where it was a Magical Doll AU and it talked about how the doll was made and all these beautiful things, and that's what first got my interest piqued. And then, a little while ago, my good friend was talking about how she needed to redo her girls' faceups, and then I started talking to her about it, and ever since then I've been obsessed.

6. I was really into Rosen Maiden during my childhood and that is when I first got into bjd even though I couldn't buy it because it was too expensive for me as a child.

7. Did a friend introduce you? Did you by chance come across them online? See them at a convention possibly? Share your stories of how you found out and got into the hobby.

For me I was at a time extremely into gothic lolita. I had pulled together my first chord and decided the first day of Ohayo-con that I was going to go to the lolita panel. Which is exactly what I did. At the panel I noticed this woman dressed in gorgeous traditional lolita with a doll in her arms dressed exactly like her! I wen't over to her and introduced myself, we exchanged compliments on eachothers attire and I told her how intrigued I was by her doll. I asked if it was porcelain because even though it didn't look like the dolls I collected when I was young it was the only kind of doll I knew of. She got a huge grin and just exploded on me with all the wonderful things about BJD what they were and how they are made. She ended up inviting me to go to the BJD meetup with her a bit later and I happily agreed. I went to the meetup and was just amazed at all these beautiful doll's.

So that's my story, what's your's?

8. Saw them at DragonCon in 2006 :D

9. Omg, I used to be super into posing my barbies for these really elaborate pictures, and I was searching on google "pretty doll pictures" to get some insporation, and i stumbled apon a bjd picture, and then from there I became obsessed.

10. Simply... by searching dolls pictures on the web (at those times I was curious about realistic baby dolls reborn s dolls) and between Google images research, I notice a Bjd (I think was from Volks).. It captured my attention and I wanted to know what type of doll was...

11. My sister took up sculpting her own ball joint doll. I got interested and decided to research them more.

12. A picture of one popped up on Instagram and I googled them and thought they were beautiful. I out them out of my mind for years because of their price and then again, another post came up on Instagram and I fell in love again but this time I couldn't get them out of my head and became obsessed and here I am with one full MSD and two (technically three) SD heads!

13. I was watching the Rozen maiden anime and since the main characters are dolls I was wondering If they made actual dolls as merchandise- among the Pullips there was a photo of a doll that looked exactly like Shinku in a wooden case (it looked exactly like the anime). So I opened the page and it said it was a bjd. I don't remember if it was a limited edition by some company or if it was a custom (I know that Alice collection has outfits that look like many of the Rozen maiden dresses)

14. My daughter showed me some photos of dolls she really wanted to buy (and told me the prices). I was like "how much?" An promptly said I would never pay $400.00'for a doll! That was back in 2011 I did collect other dolls - Madame Alexander as example. She and I then started researching bjds and she ordered a Resinsoul Gang from Junky spot towards the end of the year. After seeing all the goodies (including a free Hujoo) I proceeded to order my first bjd - a Resinsoul Li! And the rest is history as they say!

15. I seen them online before. And some blythe doll friends had bjd's so i got the bjd virus and can't stop!

16. I was looking for a toy Thranduil from the hobbit films, and came across Modoll’s Lee Pace sculpt. I bought him straight away and then found a body on dollmix after random googling. I had no idea what I was doing, however he is great. I still have him, plus eight others and some on the way...

17. I worked my way up the doll chain. Barbies as a kid (which I never really liked because of how cheap they felt), then was more into "collectable" dolls, then I got into anime figures which exploded into only Nendoroids because they could be customized easier, then I started getting into more articulated dolls like obitsu, and eventually I made my way up to bjds. Seems like every step of the way my interests got more and more expensive. xD

18. Funny enough, unrelated to my discovery of bjds, I went to a convention and saw someone carrying their SD around. I was totally blown away as to why they were carrying around this mini human creature.... thing. I tried to find them and ask about it, but the convention was so crowded, I lost track and never saw them again. Later on, I loved watching American Girl doll crafting videos(trust me, there are tons.) and I stumbled upon some dolly youtubers. I was like !!! that!!! is the mini human creature thing!! Obsession from that moment on. I didn't have the funds for dolls at that time, so I spent all that time doing research and earning money so I could purchase my first doll.

19. I was actually on another site, Gaiaonline, looking through the hobbies section. I had seen the BJD thread several times but had no idea what it was. One day I was bored out of my mind so I clicked on it. At first I was like oh jeez dolls...? Mostly because Barbies bored me when I was a kid (you couldn't do anything with them...there was only so many poses you could do with their like five joints, and there were no fun clothes) and partly because all I had ever seen was those old Victorian ones with the tiny squished faces (that honestly still creep me out). I got to looking through the thread, and eventually just looked up Ball Jointed Dolls. I was absolutely blown away by how incredible they were. So amazingly beautiful. I kept reading through the thread and eventually posted, asking a few questions...they answered happily and told me to come here. and now I am a few weeks away from having the money for my first doll >.<

20. Somehow stumbled across a picture while Googling way back!