1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What originally got you into BJDs? - Pt.2

Oct 21, 2017

1. My mom collects antique dolls and she always let me play with them (with special rules depending on the doll) so I always liked dolls. I would look at her doll magazine's all the time and started getting my own when I moved out, so in 2007 I was browsing the magazines in Barnes and noble and saw Haute doll with musedoll Re Che on the cover and fell in love. Did all kinds of research but didn't buy one yet cuz I was 18 and living by myself for the first time and couldn't afford them. I got my first in 2009 and finally got Re Che last year.

#141 whooganana, Jul 15, 2018
      Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
    2. O man, HauteDoll! I had that issue with Re Che too; I don't remember what I did with it :vein I had that one and the one with the Custom House girls. Good times.

3. First time I stumbled across the bjd hobby irl was back in 2011 where I went to an anime con and seen people with them, just never knew what they were. Before that encounter, around 2008-09 browsing the internet one day, I stumbled across a sales image of Ringdoll's Kay sculpt looked up more images, discovered they were bjds and what that was, and blam I got hooked xD Obviously as a 13 year old at the time with no ability to get a job soon, and parents instantly said 'NO' to getting one, I was kinda stuck for a bit, and soon forgot about them. Until September last year, I rediscovered them and to my excitement and happiness (and my wallet's dismay and death) I realized finally, at 22 with a weekly paying job, I could work hard and get myself my very own bjd. No longer did I have to drool at pictures of them (this is a lie, now I just drool and yearn for the ones that are above my budget XD) I could finally own one. Oh boy....own one I have, one....may or may not have turned into *looks around room counting* ehhhh 15 with 4 floating heads ^^''''' I can't help it, its an addiction, I blame my 10 years of only being able to look at images xD.

4. It was in the "Life and Arts" section of the paper. My city is known for its unique brand of funkyness and I love it dearly. You can draw Krystina? Wow! I always admire people who can draw because I'm terrible at it. My creative outlet is writing. One of my favorite childhood authors once said that a good writer "learns to paint pictures with words" and I think he was right. Have you posted any of your art online? I would love to see some.

#144 Skygirl, Jul 15, 2018
      Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    5. I've been in a bit of a slump but I'll post some of my old stuff in my flickr. account and post the link here later. lol, I wish I could write! I think its much more difficult an art form more than painting or drawing. It amazes me when writers can get the reader to understand, see, and feel without showing them anything but words.

6. I used to think bjd's were weird and extremely creepy. I collected Monster High, Barbie, and Ever After High dolls in the past, and I still have about a hundred of them. I stopped collecting dolls for a bit and recently wanted to get back into it. I found a recast Minifee Eva and fell in love with her. I almost bought her around 150$ (which I thought was a lot of money for a doll) thankfully, I did more research and stayed far away from recasts. After finding Eva, I absolutely adored bjd's, and I'm on the hunt for the perfect Minifee for me (and a legit one!)

7. @Skygirl Here is the link to my flickr :)You should share some of your writing sometime! Always looking for inspiration:whee:

8. No, I'm not from California. But it is possible that the article originated there.

9. There's two reason I got into bjd
      1. My nan was an Australian award winning porcelain doll maker I was always interested by her dolls but they weren't quite right for me
      2. I was at an anime convention and seen a bjd zone I loved the details the community and effort

10. I was looking at other dolls for a certain theme and saw a BJD for sale. Didn't know they existed.

11. My story seems very similar to others; when I was younger, maybe 10 - 12ish I stumbled upon BJDs some how. I'm really not sure how at all as I don't remember seeing them on DA or anything and Neopets was my home, but I digress. When tumblr came around many years later I got a second wind following dolly blogs, and then recently my interest got a third wind when I found the BJD Instagram community. It just so happened that the third time I actually had a full-time job and money lol!

12. I originally started with collecting Ken dolls. Saw a video on YT about this Dollshe doll. I was like what is dollshe... I was instantly hooked. Well, no. I was instantly turned off because of how epensive they were. But, I kept thinking about one and eventually did it. My very first doll was a dollshe. 10+ dolls later, here I am. Btw, Im still waiting on my dollshe doll hahahahah

13. I had seen BJDs off and on for a long time though i didn't really know what they were.
      I started watching an anime called Rozen Maiden and found dolls of the characters and i got kind of curious
      There was also someone who had made a characters they had into a doll
      I'd say there were lots of things that made me interested in them over the years it wasn't until this year that i really got into them though actually understood what BJD really was!

14. I loved barbie as a child. Then I happened to know BJD and gave up because it was too expensive. When I saw the face of my favorite idol, I decided to buy him. It's wonderful.

15. My sister told me about BJD’s. It was like… eight years ago. First I wasn’t too interested about them, since they cost so much for 16-year old. Back then I roleplayed all the time and when she got an idea to have our OCs as bjds, I was sold. It and it was nice; to photograph, spend time with sis and Finnish bjd community :daisy Too bad the hobby kinda died when we got older. But here I am again! With a steady job.

16. I discovered Dollightful on youtube and she had reviewed a MYou BJD (i think) and also another doll (artist is banned so i'll not mention names) but I was really interested after her reviews and did some research. She mostly does OOAK Monster High dolls so the BJD's were very interesting to see!

17. i had a long-time friend who got really into bjds. we were very close, so naturally she pulled me down the rabbit hole with her - at the time i wasn't as intently interested/involved as her, but i discovered the dollmore renee sculpt, and fell in love with him ^^' much saving later he was mine!

i dont know if she's still into bjds--she acquired one or two plus a head she intended to buy a body for at some point, but im not sure if it still captures her interest, we don't really talk any more. spending guilt and my young age prevented me from getting deeper into dolls, but now that im an adult and have some distance between me and my old situation, im falling into it again haha ....

i know she had a doa account (back when it was invitation only!?) but i have no idea what username. maybe she'll read this?? who knows.

18. See the Dream of Doll ducan on the Internet:aeyepop:

19. I really wanna know how you found out about bjds, I personally always watched many faceup youtubers, and one day I saw a ball jointed doll repaint. I guess I' ve been watching these ever since, and now I even have my own bjd:3nodding:

20. I saw the grell i.o.s doll being advertised and I fell in love since then I've researched all about them and now have one of my own dolls and a custom grell head, soooo-. :) It's a fantastic hobby and I love it!

P.s I LOVE watching faceup bids! They're really relaxing!