1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What originally got you into BJDs?

Jan 19, 2010

1. Well I have liked dolls since I was a kid. My Mom actually had a small doll collections, they were porcelain dolls. I got to brush their hair and dust them off as an older child. As a teenager I was looking up dolls when I first came upon BJD. I didn't get my first one until college and then I got busy with life getting married, moving, having kids and so forth. It really isn't until now that I am starting to collect resin BJD.

2. Lol. It was almost the same for me. :XD: I have, probably, even seen the same picture. Even the year matches.

I learned about bjds while researching lolita fashion,too. At that time, I did not even dreamt of owning a bjd in my lifetime. So I decided not to ruminate about it.

I liked, that these dolls are fully customizable and have jointed hands and legs, glass eyes. I adored the subtle colour gradient of the faceups. This made my heart ache with excitement.

My interest never decreased. I had been eyeing mirrors and other merchandise with pictures of bjds on them.

Five years ago, I got interested in sculpting and stumbled on bjds again.

Last year I got my first bjd. :celebrate

So the main aspect for me was, is and always will be art and custization.

3. I started to collect wit Pullips and Co. ... than i discover BJDs and want to buy a doll.
      My first BJD was a second hand doll. I dont warm up with her. To sell her, i dont want, also.
      Now i have 3 BJDs and love this dolls more, than my pullips ^^.
      The Face are more reallistic and cute <3

4. The longing for unique and customizable male dolls.

Since I was little, I never understood why there are a million variations of female fashion dolls, but so few males. I started repainting and rerooting Ken and Bratz Boyz in my teen years, and I also made lots of hand painted cloth dolls based on my favorite male celebrities to go with all of my female store bought dolls. I had the 18" strung Baby Sitters Club girls as a preteen, and had my mom call the company and asked why they didn't make Logan, the lone boy babysitter. Never got a clear answer on that.

After searching eBay for ages for OOAK male dolls, I was eventually lead to Volks, and that started my trip down the BJD rabbit hole. XD

5. haha... a crush on a girl that was into the hobby.... (I'm ashamed)

I ended up getting more into it then her though and don't even know her anymore. At first I thought doing faceups would be my thing, but I found out I didn't really enjoy that. I now like them mostly because I can design and make fashions for them and they make for cute company while I'm working from home. I love that I can design any style for them because they are not as set on the styles they will wear as humans are, and it takes so much less money because of the small size!

6. I remember like it was yesterday! I saw a photographer displaying her dolls at an anime convention. When I asked her about them, she invited me to the bjd panel and I was hooked!

7. I got into BJDs from the anime/manga series, Angelic Layer. I thought it was so cool when I saw the dolls fighting and then found out about BJDs and how they looked like the dolls in the show and manga series. My hope is that one day, Angelic Layer will become a reality.

8. Hm, I don't quite remember when I first heard it, but I got so into it after I saw Iplehouses dolls; they're simply breath-taking! I already own a few other dolls before, so I decided to experiment on them... er.... I mean, customise them xD And turns out, I like it! I was already an artist before I got started in the hobby, so I guess it should be expected that I'd fell in love with doing faceups

9. I was looking into cosplaying a character from a manga that wears the traditional dress of a miko (Japanese priestess) so I went looking on the Internet to buy the clothing and ended up on Etsy there I saw a BJD wearing the outfit I wanted to wear. I'd once before seen BJDs online when I got into Lolita since often the big brands release doll sized outfits but for some reason this time I took notice and started googling and the rest is history!

10. My story is going to be a little long but I'll try to keep it short :sweat (there's a tl;dr if u get bored)

I've known BJDs before like maybe '08 because it was really popular and my friend just calls them licca dolls in general so I came to know them by that name (turns out licca chan doll is not even a bjd lmao) and I thought to myself I'll never get them because they're a collector's item and so it must be crazy expensive. I'm talking like maybe a million dollar expensive, because I was young and I didn't bother researching.

Fast forward to 2016 when another friend of mine recommended the game "Nameless" and I was like "aren't bjd super expensive tho" and I tried the game and I thought it was funny how much the game keeps on putting "Crobi" everywhere.

I seriously thought that they were a fictional company. (I even thought Banjul is fictional) So when I decided to search it "just for fun" I was so surprised to see that it was in fact true, and they have male dolls. MALE DOLLS. :aeyepop:

This is a big deal for me because it was the first time I ever saw a male doll besides Ken, you know, from Barbie? I've always wanted a male doll that's not Ken but it makes me sad to see all doll majority are girls so I thought to myself if I'm going to have a girl doll anyway then might as well just buy a porcelain one since it's all the same. But WOW when I saw the crobidolls I fell in love immediately and thought to myself I'd want my very first male doll to be from this company.:love:D:chibi

TL;DR: the game Nameless brought me here. :XD:

11. I've been into bjds since a friend of mine started to bring their doll to school high school. Myself and many of my other friends loved her doll but it was my other friend and I who really decided since getting to play with our other friends doll that we wanted bjds of our own. Sadly it wasn't until many years later that I was finally able to save up for my first my doll.

12. I'm still incredibly new to the hobby, but I first heard about BJDs when a friend of mine on twitter made a thread of dolls she had on her wishlist. I looked up some of them and thought they were gorgeous but didn't know anything about the hobby, so I thought that BJDs were simply collected and kept as they were when bought.

About three days ago a Russian friend of mine linked me to an Instagram account of someone who is doing BJD photography/customization/art and I was completely intrigued. I've spent the past few days researching non-stop and I hope to purchase my first doll soon!

13. I've always been a fan of the bjd culture but never fully got into it until I came into college and my friend got her very first bjd lol

14. I stumbled upon BJDs while trolling through youtube about 3/4 years back and stumbled on a channel doing face ups (Nicolle's dreams, Andreja is AMAZING!). The face ups were absolutely beautiful and I was hooked ever since, but the price really put me off. I couldn't really justify spending so much money at the time. The a couple of years passed and I sort of 'forgot' ( I mean I still watch face ups, look at tutortials, drool over picturs) about the hobby, it's still something on my mind by I just didn't see (or should I say realize) it as something that I could do. Then fast forward to now, I actually started making a good amount of money through my internships while in university, and I re stumbled upon an chinese forum dedicated to BJD's and my love has been rekindled, adding that to my realization that I could actually afford to buy these dolls I made my order with luts & LM yesterday :) Waiting VERY impatiently for my dolls now.

15. ... I got into BJDs thanks to the horror anime Another. When I saw Kirika's dolls in her store I just sat there and said, "I want a doll like that!" I think I did some research and bam, I learned about BJDs! When I learned you could customise them, well, I was hooked! I've always been a biiig fan of dollies too, it was natural that I'd want one and. I was 13 or 14, I started saving for my BJDs, during that time I experimented with face-ups on Monster High dolls, and Obitsu's, but only actually got my first BJDs, as gifts, when I was 16-17. :thumbup

16. One of my friends on the web bought an MSD from Dollzone. That's how I found out about these dolls and soon got interested in them. Looking back, those days it actually was something like a fashion trend for me, but a few years later I can say I'm really into this hobby. For me personally it is an amazing chance to make my characters into something more material then just thoughts in my head and painted illustrations.

17. My sister's best friend at the time posted a company photo of a Resinsoul/Bobobie Mei on Facebook saying she was getting her, and I fell in love. I was really young at the time and the price seemed ridiculous to me, but eventually I came around. I got my first doll, a Pukifee Zoe, a year or 2 later while visiting Denver Doll. It was an amazing experience, I'd love to go back there sometime :D

18. My sister first showed me a doll she was interested in a long time back, so when it came to deciding what to get for her birthday I went and searched up BJDs to try to find that doll she liked. However, upon my search, I stumbled across Fairyland's page and found MNF Chloe and her fullset. Though I couldn't get her fullset, I fell in love with her sculpt and the pictures people had of her on Flickr. That lead me to my first doll purchase and I haven't looked back since. :love

19. I was doing an internet search back around the time that Soom released their Sweet Witch--I saw her, and have been hooked since. She's been my grail for AGES now, and I may finally be able to get her.

20. In middle school, my (then) favourite musician had a forum and somebody posted about their new bjd in the crafting thread. I didn't like the particular doll that much, but I was so intrigued that I followed various bjd companies for a few years until I finally found one I liked and had enough monies to buy her. I mean, I've had dolls since I was about four (dolls that could be described more as "durable" than as "delicate", they've literally fallen out of trees and come out fine), and I've made doll clothes since about halfway through high school... the idea for sewing for someone so lovely and a bit more proportional? Inevitable, really.