1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What originally got you into BJDs?

Jan 19, 2010

1. I think i came across this site called illness illusion or something that had dolls with different characters from Harry Potter and other things too. That was my very first meeting with these dolls I think. But I just could not figure out how to get them or if it was possible to get one, but some years later again I came across the dolls and this time I figured it was actually possible to order one. So my first doll was a Soom Sabik back in 2008 ^_^

2. I am not sure what got me into the hobby. I have always collected dolls in various forms all the way into adulthood. My mother has dolls from when she was a girl in a family house overseas. I think I probably saw them on the internet at some point and it eventually led me to the hobby that I've taken up again. I've had my floating head (Vincent) for many years now. So, I guess my return to the hobby was realizing it was time to get him a body. But in all... in a generalized way. Maybe it was the internet? LOL

3. It was a few years ago, and I was looking at fan art of some of my favorite characters, and a BJD that had been customized to look like one of them showed up. It seemed to draw me in and I found myself looking up other characters and then eventually looking at dolls in general! It wasn't until last year when I fully dove in and bought a doll though :)

4. I think, initially, it was curiosity! I came across Andreja's videos on youtube one day and watched almost all of them all at once because they were just so pretty! Skip forward a year or two and I'd forgotten completely about them when I came across c_u_l_u_r on instagram and my curiosity was peaked again! I've been super interested in having one of my own for ages now, and finally ordered my first girl a couple of days ago! :)

5. I think I can probably blame the anime Rozen Maiden for first putting the idea of owning a doll in my head but it wasn't until years later when I actually was first exposed to bjds (in person). At that time I was pushed away by the cost but I eventually started getting bigger anime figures, then smaller dolls like Azone Pure Neemo, then eventually I justified full bjds and dollfie dreams. Now I don't know where to even put them xD

6. I bought a moxie teenz doll that I wanted clothes patterns for. While I was on the net searching, I stumbled onto BJDs.

7. My son has had BJDs for about 10 years and I have always knit and sewn clothes for his dolls but I never thought about having any of my own until I discovered the YOSDs. I just fell in love with how cute they are and really wanted to design clothes for them. So now I have 1, 2 on order and probably another 5 or 6 planned for the future! It's addictive!!

8. The anime rozen maiden, and after watching it I was like " i would really like a doll like that ".

9. What got me into this hobby was how beautiful the dolls looked, plus I liked how one could customize them to fit your character.

10. I've had a couple friends over the years who have been into BJDs so I got glimpses of the hobby from them, but I never really got it. I was never into dolls as a kid and didn't understand why people were willing to pay so much money for dolls. It's weird; I don't know exactly what caused the switch, but one morning I woke up, checked my social media to see a friend talking about a doll they'd seen, and suddenly I went, "Oh, I want that!!!" Life is weird sometimes, I guess!

11. i've known this hobby for a long time now, but the one who actually got me infatuated with this hobby is CJ Dee and Nix de Pano, i was so amaze on their dolls *U*

12. I loved my older sister so much, and she loved dolls. Its how we played when we were little, and the love of that never ended. I realized one day that even though I was a grown man, I could buy a doll if wanted to (had to get over the stigma I was perpetuating on myself as a male doll collector) and I have been hooked ever since.

13. I've loved dolls all my life. I had a ton of Barbies growing up, so it was only natural that I would eventually discover BJDs in 2004. I was instantly mesmerized by their beauty and the prospect of completely customizing them, but it wasn't until 10 years later that I would enter the hobby.

14. I got into it for art reasons. I wanted to have a doll to help me with pose references and things like that because I loved drawing the dolls I seen online. But oddly enough I have never actually used any of my own dolls for art XD Got too attached to them to use them for art now.

15. I got into the hobby through YouTube. I think I was trying to do something with a barbie and I can across a few vids and I was hooked. Then I had to do a couple of hours of research.

16. My friend owned one in 8th grade, and I didn't think much of it until I started seeing ball jointed dolls everywhere at conventions. And THE EYESSSSS. they called to me!!!!

Back then, the selections were limited (rarely any fantasy parts and only normal skin toned resin) They just stayed in the back of my mind for a while until recently, when I was cleaning out my crafts stuff (a bunch of cloth, yarn, pastels, UV resin, magnets, and polymer clay) that I realized, OMFG I have all the stuff for a D O L L. Why don't I get one?! aand BAM, here I am. Sewing like mad, doing face-ups for friends, and making accessories for my dolly :> #noregrets

17. I find it very strange that I got into this hobby, as I have a fear of dolls. Barbies are okay, but I can't handle most realistic dolls or porcelain dolls.

I ended up finding BJDs through anime. I knew of them, but didn't have a solid idea of what they were until a friend showed me DoD's website. I ended up falling in love with BJDs right then and there! I didn't buy a doll until a year or two later, as I was still in highschool with minimum income. I'm happy I waited as it gave me a lot of time to absorb as much information as BJDs as I did!

18. A friend of mine got into the hobby very early on, and often went to doll shows in Japan. I used to love looking at her pictures and really wanted to get a doll, but the prices scared me, so it took me a while to jump in. But eventually I did, and I've been happily collecting for several years now.

19. I found a monster high faceup video by dollightful on youtue and after doing many monster high faceups myself I started seeing similar channels for bjds. I said to myself that I would never buy one just because of the expensive nature of the hobby but I ended up getting my first this christmas. I would say that the youtuber Swandzz really got me into the hobby. She loves her dolls so much and she is really creative.

20. A few years back I saw a Lolita's wardrobe post that had matching BJDs, so I decided to research more into the hobby. I'm really happy that I did so, because discovering how wonderful and artistic BJDs are is helping me to regain inspiration and motivation for my other hobbies that I could possibly integrate with BJDs.