1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What originally got you into BJDs?

Jan 19, 2010

1. Might sound strange but somehow crocheting did. In a boring summer I bought a lot of yarn and wanted to crochet a huge blanket. I gave up at some point and used google to find out what to do with all this yarn. I started to crochet Amigurumis and found out about flickr, joined flickr, found out about Blythe Dolls, bought some, sold some, found pictures on flickr of cute BJDs. This was followed by the fight with myself about the price for a BJD and then some day my husband and I bought a Lati White on ebay for a good price. I would say from the beginning to now - might be about 2,5 years.

2. My roommate has some and I've always admired hers. She told me about this forum about a year ago(ish) and I joined when I could. I did a lot of lurking around the galleries, and it really made me want my own.

3. Well, honestly the first time I ever encountered BJD's I was a bit creeped out by them. However as I encountered more and more of them I started to do some research on them. After about a year I decided that I wanted one. It took a while to find my "first" girl as I was super picky about what I wanted but am now the proud owner of a SC13 girl w/ sunlight skin and a w/F-31 head w/elf ears. And just recently got my second girl!

4. I was really into anime at the time and while googling a particular series I came across a picture of a doll in cosplay.
      It's been a couple years though...and I don't remember which doll it was...

5. Back in the days, I was flipping through this 'Starz' magazine, they had an issue about an anime convention at Malaysia. I saw an adorable picture of Dream Of Doll's Too and Bee-A (that belong to a Malaysian owner, if I'm not wrong.) There and then, I went online, looked for anything that was related to that convention, and soon later, I found Den of Angels which then helped me to find my first love and very own BJDs. :)

Happy days. :aheartbea

6. My step-sister came in my room one day telling me she wanted to show me something so I let her use my computer and she showed me the Dream of Doll website. The she showed me a few pics of other BJDs and I was hooked. Sadly she doesn't love them like I do she just thinks they are pretty and she wants one but she doesn't really know anything about them.

7. I was addicted to Dolls as I saw the Saber DD from Volks! She is so beautiful.
      Never thought that I would ever be interested in such Dolls (saw them on a German board of figure collectors, as I am a Nendoroid addicted person^^), but then I found the article about the new DDS Body on Dannychoo's site.
      At this moment I thought "I want one, too!"
      A dear friend from the German board told me several things about Dolls and gave me the link to this board.
      Now I'm in the process of planning my first daughter :D

8. It's my sister's fault i guess, and its a friend of hers that got her into it i think so i'll blame her too, hehe.

My sister fell in love with the Ethan limited mould quite a while back, but she couldn't afford it at the time so i lent her the full amount so she could buy him. This is pretty much when i first found out about them, then a little while later I visited with my sis her friend that introduced her to dolls. I then spent the weekend learning more and played with a really funky shu shu for the day as we met up with some other doll owners at a park. at that point i was really interested in buying one myself, but after a month or so i decided to leave it. i was still interested in dolls, but i dropped the plans of buying one. I'm not sure why but it might be because i hadn't really seen any that i would love to own myself at that point. Then, recently my sister showed me a picture of the soom shaman and i fell in love with that one. i loved the nature concept, and the anthro style and now im planning to get one myself as soon as i can afford it :)

9. I remember exactly what sparked my interest in bjds. Now bear in mind I hated barbies as a kid (used to torment my sisters barbies). But I started collecting porcilaine (sorry can't spell it) dolls at 12. I had a collection of around 40 of them by the time I was 25, I was starting to get annoyied tho, so not customisable...all little girls in victoriana...where were the boys, the modern ones and proper fantasy lookers...my collection could go no further id bought most of the more unusual ones I could find. Now id discovered himstett dolls (they used to occasionally make porcilane ones), which I loved but just could never afford. My mother in law at that time was into reborning dolls (she says I'm weird for deconstructing bjds but I tell you seeing a tray full disjointed baby limbs is just creepy) and got a monthly doll mag about this. She saw the article about himstett dolls and thought she would show me. Well I thought I would also flick through the rest of the mag....it also had an item written about bjds (with masses of photos) by mystical-maz...omg I was in love. The minute I saw them I knew they were what I had been searching for since I was 12! I did 3 months of careful research and lots of window shopping (well looking on the internet), before I settled on DOD e-an for my first bjd, and I haven't looked back.

Id never seen another in person, only really seen company photos until I ordered her, then I found out about DoA and joined!

10. I got into BJDs when I saw my friend's doll, she look so cute and the was so cool. Then I asked my friend where she get hers, so she told me to come here. I even goolge search for pictures and information. And now I'm here and can't wait to buy my first doll.

11. I saw someone with one and thought they were probably the most beautiful dolls I have ever seen. Ever since I saw it I searched it up. BJDs. What are they? What are they about? After doing some pretty extensive research I realized what it's all about. How much is involved with these creatures and so on. Ever since then I've been searching for more information on caring for them, accessorizing, etc.
      It really is an expensive hobby! I'm happy to join the rest with this one too!

12. I...I don't remember. I know that years back, I stumbled upon some dolls and fell head over heels with them. I didn't know where to buy or anything so I only knew of Volks, and I didn't like any of Volks dolls. It wasn't until I found DoA and joined did I find the right information and such to buy my first doll. :'D

13. I was at an anime convention when I saw someone with a BJD. I was interested, but honestly thought it was a bit freaky. They had a doll that looked like a toddler, which isn't really my taste.
      I started googling them just out of interest, when I started discovering some really beautiful dolls. DoD shall was the first doll I truly fell in love with, but I'm not really interested in owning her. She looks so much more beautiful in the pictures than in person... which is probably true of just about any of the highly photoshopped sales pictures. :sweat

14. I discovered BJD by browsing DA as well. There are some really gorgeous pics on that site. I think the first one I came across was OkiOki who switched to Hiritai. http://hiritai.deviantart.com/

She has some great stuff. :)

15. My friend got me into some other dolls and through looking at those via flickr and other things I found BJDs! At first though I wasn't that interested, but wanted a puki since they're so cute! So I bought a puki and then a couple of months later decided I wanted more and that I'd like to do photostories. Then about 10 months after ordering my first doll I got my second one Winter. Now I have three more on the way :D They're so addictive!! I said I was only going to get one... That failed. Miserably. I already need more...

16. I found out about them a few years ago through the Lolita fashion.

17. I was making custom action figures in 1/6 scale and this eventually led to the discovery of Obitsu 1/6 bodies and Volks 1/6 plastic 'dollfies'. My wife and I then started seeing pics of Super Dollfies when we searched for Dollfies. We were curious but I really wasn't sure if I liked them back then.

After buying 1/3 Obitsu dolls, and then Dollfie Dreams, we found we loved the big dolls but it wasn't until I saw a Lishe and then Elfdoll Soah and Ryung that I started thinking I wanted one of these resin beauties for myself. So in 2006 we got one each - Soah from Elfdoll for me and a CP Dark Elf Soo from Luts for my wife. After that, we were doomed!! :)

18. My best friend, she showed me her brand new MSD and started showing me images of other dolls, and that made me want to own one. :lol:

19. I collected and still do collect sculpts of polymer clay fairies and females.
      I moved onto BJD's after seeing one when I was buying a sculpt.

20. My friend got one, a puki, and I really thought I'd need one eventually! But then she later got a Littlefee, and I LOVED it! I decided then that I wanted a littlefee and I got my gorgeous boy (LTF Rachel) Canican! He's still in the mail but I can't wait until he gets here! I also went to a meet before ordering my boy and that completely sealed it, I'm now addicted to BJDs :D