1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What Sculpt Name Do You Find Odd?

Mar 8, 2019

1. I'm having trouble finding even pictures of the doll itself, I don't even remember which company it was (I wanna say it was 5StarDoll?) It was a little scorpion baby for an event and it was named Colon/Collen... Except, before they changed the name, he had a very unfortunate name...

His name was the proper term for male genitalia

I remember threads about it on a few doll forums I was on (I was not on DOA at the time) and laughing my head off at the poor little thing. The name was changed almost overnight but good grief!

Edit: Found him: http://bjdcollectasy.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Colin-Bjd.jpg and I got the spelling wrong initially. and company it was Impldoll

Poor lil guy was a cutie but such an unfortunate start.

2. My first doll's sculpt name is Uyoo. I don't know how that is supposed to be said. I agree with a previous comment about there being too many dolls called Lucifer. I have Granado's, and the name doesn't suit him at all.

Some of Fairyland's Real Puki do have unfortunate sounding names, but I think Fairyland's Pipi is supposed to be pronounced like Pipi Longstocking.

In terms of company line names being confusing, Fairyland Minifee and Soom Mini Gem are two completely different sizes!

3. One of my favorite dolls when I first started the hobby was Elfdoll K. At the time, DOA's search function was pretty finicky and needed terms at least 3 letters long. Searching for info on him was a huge pain. I'm still pretty biased against very short names, haha!

4. The same with Ringdoll K! Although I think some people call him priest K? I had trouble searching him up on Taobao as well, so many irrelevant things that came up! Haha!:XD:

I found it really funny that you think Amos sounds like the name of "someone you'd find stranded in the middle of the ocean after their ship broke down"...
      You see, my boy Amos (the doll in my profile) has his background story set out exactly like that! He actually met his lifelong friend and later on partner, Perseus, when the latter's ship broke down near the island which he inhibits (he is a native of the island). He rescued poor Percy from starvation, and there goes the story!
      It's interesting how you have a very specific scenario in mind for the name, and it just happens to basically match my boy's background story, haha!:XD:

#24 Clarice_Raven, Mar 10, 2019
      Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2019
    5. Ok I really don't like the name Lonnie (Iplehouse)

6. So, I love that Dollshe makes stories for some of their sculpts...but as an Anglo-Italian, David Kuncci just offends me. I always Italisize his name to the correct Davide Gnucci (which is still a dumb name but it's grammatically sound). Because otherwise Kuncci is close to the slang for a woman's genitals (cunc and all the variants). Same thing with Grant Phillippe. Is he supposed to be Grand Phillippe? Would a French speaker pronounce Grant correctly? Or how about Ausley Love. What a bunch of yucky syllables all together. Ausley? That has all the worst English sounds outside of "moist". And Spiritdoll naming their dolls after the latin names of flowers/shrubs. I really don't like trying to pronounce Abies. Or Echium. or Cycas.
      Then there's some of the old CP names. El. El what? El Cid? That'd be a cool doll. Lishe? Is that Lishy? Leesh? Breakaway? You mean like stripper clothes? Fun times. My inner judgmental diva goes into fits when I see silly sculpt names.

7. I don't hate it, but my girl's sculpt name is Sparkle. Try Googling that. Adding on the company name Island Doll only makes things worse. Sometimes I wonder if there are tons of owner pictures out there after all, but they are buried under a huge pile of other doll pictures.

8. Done~ If you need help in the future, you can hit the report button and explain your issue or come get help in Ask the Mods.
      Cheers~

----

I have a hard time keeping most of SWITCH boy's names in order. Milwha, Hawha, Sohwa, Gyoha, Doha, Huisa, Waeson, Taeho, Seoha, Soseo, Seolrok, Seojin, Dojin, Ajeong. They end up bleeding together in alliteration until I can't recall which is which and if I'm remembering them properly, and then I get all the spellings wrong. *_*

It's probably part of why I like Yiho and Mara so much, I never confuse them for another sculpt or mispell them.

9. Dollzone Tit - because as cute as the doll is, in U.S. 'tit' is a slang for breast and I would just feel weird having a doll names after breasts.

10. Several years ago, Impldoll released a doll initially called "Penis." Apparently, it was a translation error, and they changed it to Colin. Now, any doll I see named Colin immediately makes me think of the other name instead.

11. Ahh thanks so much! I'll remember that next time.

12. That pleases me so much. My weird name hangup approves of your Amos. Love the name Perseus/Percy in this context too.

Now that I'm really thinking about it, I'm not sure why I have this "Amos is a sailor name" crusade. I have no issues with ships and crew stories and I actually love stranded at sea tropes? Just weird, the stuff brains decide to dislike.

13. Whenever I see a sculpt called "Nono," my English-language-trained brain conjures up an image of someone telling a little kid not to touch the hot stove.

14. Dollshe Pabo. In French, it sounds like 'pas beau' which means 'not beautiful'. I didn't realize it (my first language is English) until someone at a local meet-up pointed it out.

15. Luts zuzu delf Ryba. Ryba in slovak and czech language means fish. And whats more strange is that zuzu delf Ryba is suposed to be fish anthro doll (I guess). I dont know if it was intended. But after that all I can imagine when it comes to that doll are some Luts employees searching for doll names on google translate :lol:

16. Doll love yo-yo. That is like me-me, also yoyo is a children toy.
      Ringdoll bobo, that means silly or fool.
      I own those two XD also a Doudou.

17. When Immortality of Soul first released Anos it was spelled differently... Anus. This spawned an 8 page thread full of butthole jokes on another (now defunct) doll forum before someone finally informed IoS of the mistake and they changed the name.

18. Not Crobidolls fault at all but I cannot help saying “young ho” when referring to my Yeon Ho :doh

19. Not so much bothered like I can't stand it, but bothersome because I have a hard time keeping them straight... when companies have names that are so close (FL Ria/Rhiea, Switch Soseo/Waseo for examples) that it makes it hard to remember who is who. I have a bad memory to begin with lol.

I don't mind the food names for dolls, but I agree that they don't fit anything above a yo to me. And definitely agree about the shouta/loli lines. It's really off putting.

20. It seems translations can cause a lot of problems!

And it's funny how you associate names with different images. "Amos" reminds me of other Old Testament names, such as Obadiah, Abner, etc. I like these names, though. Also, I think "Ausley" (Dollshe Ausley Love) fits the sculpt well because it is slightly unusual, but beautiful in an unglamorous way like the sculpt.

I can't really think of any sculpt names that particularly bug me, but some company names make me smile:

Every time I see "Leekeworld" I think of onions, and I love "Raccoon Doll" because I would never have associated raccoons with bjds. Names like "Dear Mine" and "Be With You" amuse me because they seem to have been chosen to sound cute and sweet by people who don't quite understand that they are common phrases in English.

Edited to add: we could also discuss sculpt names we love. For example, I love all the sculpt names Pasha Pasha uses - Breath, Pulse, Sanity, and Beat and Thirst for some special heads. So cool!