1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What to answer when people ask about the cost of your doll...?

Dec 8, 2010

1. If someone asks me a question, I answer honestly. If they think I've spent too much, I don't really care. Dolls bring me lots of joy and when I need money, I'm able to sell them. I don't splurge on eating dinner out....it's unhealthy and it ends up in the toilet. :) What I do spend money on, retains it's value for the most part. If a person judges me for my spending habits, I give them a look that instantly reminds them of all the noticable things I could judge them for but choose not too. That usually works out pretty good. :)

2. Just say, "they are expensive" and leave it at that. If people insist, then I just say: "hundreds."

As others have said, there is no need to give exact figures unless you're talking to someone who really wants to know because they are thinking of buying one--and those people would be familiar with BJDs already. For casual folk off the street who know nothing about the dolls--they don't need to hear exact figures from you! Just point them towards the internet and where they can find out more about the dolls if they are truly interested!

And for those who are rude or nosy, THEY certainly don't deserve your attention or the exact prices, either!!! It's none of their business, so "they're expensive" should be good enough--and if it isn't, then just tell them they should go online and look it up if they wish to know because you don't sell them and don't keep price lists in your head-- and prices vary.

If you wish to tell exact prices, that's your business. But it's NOT anyone else's business if you don't wish to tell them prices! I agree that it's a pretty rude question, unless the person really needs to know for their own buying information.

3. In all honesty, I found it easier to simply give people an honest answer about the price, followed by an explanation of why my dolls are so costly, such as the fact that they are handmade, rather than factory, machine made, and that the process of making such dolls is labor intensive with high quality and expensive materials, with positive results not always guaranteed in the making of the doll, depending on the doll and its sculpt. I make it clear that my doll isn't a typical, cheap child's toy. It's a doll meant for collectors and hobbyists who love dolls in the same manner that people love cars, computers, gaming, etc. Certainly, the prices of certain dolls would allow one to buy, say, two laptops. But it's really a question of what's more important to one: Having the doll, or having the laptop? Neither is correct. It's all about one's needs and wants.

I'm lucky enough to not only be a part of a family of collectos, but to have friends who are hobbyists and collectors, so they really didn't blink twice at the cost of my dolls. In fact, they were savvy enough to realize that I managed to get my dolls at a really decent price, compared to what other BJDs can cost. But to strangers who stop to admire my doll, I very much get that look, which tends to melt away and become thoughtful at my lecture. Many conclude that, while my dolly is pretty, they'd really rather buy other things with their money, which is fine. We all have different needs, and right now, one of my needs is collecting dolly companions. :D

4. For me, alone, I have absolutely no qualms about discussing how much Emma cost me. It's probably because this doll is my first major purchase. First thing I've ever saved up for, and bought, that cost so much. I have told people she cost (with EMS) $347 - I don't even round it to $350. I say $347.

I'm proud of my purchase, and don't regret it, so if other people look at me sideways, so what? Who cares? I didn't use their money on it - I bought my doll because I was in a situation to buy her. I regret nothing! :) And even if I told them that these dolls were made from solid golden casts, then destroyed in some crazy fire, I doubt it would make them see how I could justify my doll's purchase.

5. I just tell them the simple truth. I don't have a doll yet. But I keep a picture of him in my wallet so I know to save for it.

I am asked what is that. And it looks cool (Some people thought he was a boyfriend or something made me laugh a bit) And I told them it was a doll and 'm saving for him. I don't go into details until they ask. So I just tell them the truth. Followed by they're sculpted with love by artists who care and are cast in Resin and how big a average SD is. ect... So they can't say anything like it's too expensive or anything.

6. This is how we were introduced into the hobby. The family with the dolls just insisted they were expensive and they gave us a few websites to go home and look them up on. Of course, they did not divulge this information until we had been talking with them for quite some time, so I suppose we were showing a genuine interest.
      All in all, I dont think the general public handles the cost of our dolls very well at all, which is why if we were ever approached with the question, I would no doubt handle it in the same fashion.

Robert

7. When strangers tell me "oh, the money I can buy a laptop or other thing, I say" oh, I already have a laptop and a camera, and many other useful things .. I can afford to buy the doll, is not it you? " :)

8. I haven't even received my doll yet, but I already have this problem! When I say he'll cost me $600, nearly everyone says, "WHOA, that's so much!!" and I kindly explain that for about a third of that price, I could hire a live model for about an hour for figure studies, or I could get the doll (pretty close comparison) and have him for posing, clothes design, photography, and general enjoyment and save tons in the long run. At the end they're usually on my side lol.

9. Yeah, I usually answer honestly. It doesn't matter what THEY think of my hobby! So when I'm asked how much my Quin costs (if ever I take him out for strangers to see), I just smile and say, "Oh, about $450!" And yes, I've gotten the whole ":nowords:" look before, quickly followed by incredulous questions like "Why would you ever spend that much on a DOLL?" and so on, and though my reasons were different for purchasing him initially, I usually mention that it just depends on what you're into, and I just happen to be into dolls that cost a lot of money. You just gotta shrug off negative opinions - it's no one else's business what you like to spend your money on, and if Asian Ball-Jointed Dolls make you happy, then by gosh, be happy! :D

10. Thank you so much for everyone who provided these useful experiences and suggestions ^ ^
      It really helps LOL!!
      (I really want to reply every single one separately, but its going to take so long xD....
      and other people feel free to provide more suggestion or personal experiences :) !!

11. "Price on the tag. Value in the heart".

12. I try to answer honestly, if they think it's not worth it, that's cool. I don't think it's worth it to spend 2000 dollars on a TV when I could have two 60cm dolls for around that price.
      People have trouble understanding that "hand made" and "resin" make it more expensive. They also can't seem to appreciate the jointage! The joints are amazing! Their daughters 30 dollar Barbie can't do half the things my babies can do.

13. When curious people have asked me about the price of my dolls in public I usually start by asking them if they are interested in collecting dolls. If they say yes then I tell them that BJDs can range in price from about $200 to well up over $1,000 depending on size and type. If they say they have no interest in collecting dolls I tell them that they are the higher end as far as doll prices go but that I'd rather leave it at that. They usually don't press after that point.

14. I usually say something along the lines of " a small piece of my soul," and if that doesn't satisfy them, I tell them the amount. I get the O_O faces by some people, and then I explain several of the reasons why BJDs are so expensive. Either that satisfies their O_O, or they just look at me like I'm crazy as I wander off with a small chunk of resin balanced on top of my head. :D

15. Hmmm, I have yet to go through this experience.

Actually, I take that back. One of my "ex-friends" asked me how much I bought the doll for, and when I told her $300 she became furious and jealous. She's always wanted a BJD, so she's done the research and knows how much they are and why.

I have yet to experience what it will be like having to explain this to people who don't know anything about BJDs...

But people spend crazy amounts of money on other things, it's not like a doll is any different. I personally think spending $100 on a pair of jeans is pretty ridiculous. I'm not going to care about what anyone else thinks. xD

16. I usually tell people "this doll is worth more than your life so please treat him/her nicely!" Which then turns into them asking "so how much is my life worth?" Before you know it, you're playing a very bad guessing game XD

17. I really don't know how to answer this but recently i've been saying "They're a bit expensive since they are collectibles.". But if someone shows complete interest then would I reveal the cost. Safer that way, for me that is.

18. I agree that it's very tough to reply to such questions especially when those who asked don't really know how to appreciate the dolls. They have little knowledge on how much effort is required to create such beautiful sculpts, proportions, features... But well, I don't care about their reactions anyway. I would probably try to "cushion the impact" by adding on saying things like "every doll is unique. No 2 of such dolls are alike".

19. If people have the courage to ask, I'll tell them the truth. I also often get the 'omg thats WAY too expensie' tone for the rest of the conversation. But they shouldn't have asked if they didn't want the real answer. Sometimes when people don't seem too put off by the price, I'll give a few more facts and such about them, and by the time they say good bye, they're usually appreciative of the price tag, but I've yet to have someone walk away with a genuine interest to buy one.
      But like I said, they ask, I answer. Its their problem if they don't expect just how valuable they are... we know, and thats all that counts!

20. I get that question all the time!

Some of my firends and members of my anime club @ college look at me and shake their heads BUT they will admit that the dolls are beautiful and that I obviously love them very much. And they really do get a kick out of when I bring my girls to school and they're done up differently each time. I will say that there are some kids at the college who honestly don't know about my hobby and/or will test my patience when it comes to my dolls. I have had people try to mishandle them, grope them and rough house with them. That is when they get my very evil glare and my "You damage her, you pay me $850 to replace her" That quickly brings them to a halt and they stop (cuz we college kids really are broke!)

In terms of strangers seeing my dolls when I'm out in public taking pictures or whatnot.... It can be a little iffy. I will happily tell them what the doll(s) cost me and what they can range in price from. And yes I most certainly do get a lot of "What the heck?! You wasted your money on something so stupid/foolish/creepy/etc ?! Why I could've done {insert phrase here}..." or "If you got money to waste, give me a loan so I can pay my bills!" or "Must be nice bein' rich and all..."

It is at those times I smile in a rather cute yet creepy way and say "It wasn't your money, and it's MY passion. If you're so envious, go play/win the lottery. When you waste your money on something "stupid" I will ask you the same thing." But in the case of nicer people who really appreciate their beauty, I will explain the facts about BJDs and why they are so expensive and popular. (This info actually won over my best friend last night and she's now plotting her own BJD purchase >.< )

As for family.... I get made fun of most of the time for what I spend on my dolls and their accessories. My own mother has stated that her entire collection of porcelain dolls (3 very big china cabinets full!) would never add up to the money I have spent. While she chastises me about it every now and then, she somewhat understands my passion (as a child I HATED dolls) and has shown that they do interest her, just not enough to actually purchase one. (She has forbidden me from buying her one as a gift due to the price and her lack of space lol)

So overall I will let people know either way what the dolls cost. It just depends on their reaction whether they get the nice explanation or the not-so-nice sarcastic/evil one