1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What to answer when people ask about the cost of your doll...?

Dec 8, 2010

1. I answer truthfully, I'm a very honest person ^^ I told my mum that I'd be buying a Senior Delf Howl soon and told her how much he'd cost altogether, and she replied 'Amy! Why not save the money for a rainy day, or when you really need it?'. I agree with her, that would be a good idea, but to me buying this doll is a good idea too. My money ;D When I tell people how much Ein cost they usually give as surprised expression, I just shrug.

2. When asked, I am vague and say "A lot."

My husband and I discuss exact costs so that it is in the open between us, but that's because our finances are tied together. Otherwise, it is no one else's business.

3. "More then a barbie, less then a car."

Well, really, it's not their business, and it's so not worth the inevitable "lolwhuuuut you crazy" discussion that follows.

4. I had family and a few Friends ask me this. I just tell them but when I get the why spend so much. I say well you like jewelry, games, clothing, and shoes. I don't really get into that stuff I like dolls, toys, and transformers we all see beauty in different things. That makes us all different and wonderful.

5. I just say, expensive! Unless I'm talking to a doll person, I know they won't understand, and it's my business and my money, so I remain vague and smile mysteriously about it....and ironically since I buy most of my dolls second hand, they cost less than my friend's IPads, but I do like to let them think I spend $$$$ on every doll...;P

6. EcchoKat I completely agree. :) I will only mention the real cost with family and close friends, and when I do tell my friends, some of them look at me with their jaw-dropped with the "Are you friggin CRAZY?!" look...but as you said, they like to buy clothing, shoes, jewelry, and spend all their cash in Victoria's Secret. I, on the other hand, prefer to save up and buy my dolls, anime figures, games, etc.
      It actually makes me feel very proud that I saved so much for something that means a lot to me.^^

7. Depending on who, I just answer "enough". I don't know, I think it comes off to me as rude... I'd never ask someone how much something cost them, but saying, "wow, that looks expensive" is something I'll nod to. :S

8. I try to avoid the question when strangers ask but i will tell them sometimes. When they ask me when my dad is there he anwsers them with "enough".

9. It depends on who is asking. If it's someone in or interested in the doll hobby, I'll tell them the actual amount. It's kind of research in that way, and I'm glad to help out with real info. However, if it's someone who's just asking for the sake of asking then they get something along the lines of "a lot".

10. Enough.....

11. I just laugh nervously and say "Hahaaa, yeaah, they're really expensive, you don't even wanna know."

12. I look at it this way: not everyone saves every penny they earn and will often blow large amounts of money one way or another. I have a prepaid phone because it's cheap and I only need it for texting and talking. I think someone who has an $800 phone with a $200 monthly phone bill is wasting money. We're all guilty of spending money and being overly judgmental of others.

My friends and family, for the most part, understand my doll hobby and how expensive but also rewarding it can be. Some of them even have luxury hobbies that are even more expensive than my meager dolly spending. Luxuries will always be at least somewhat eccentric and ludicrous no matter if it's resin dolls, antiquated elephant figurines or vintage muscle cars of the 1960's. And those who aren't a part of the hobby never quite understand the expense because it doesn't appeal to them.

As far as how do I react to the inevitable question, I'll usually brush it off in a tactful way or if they're really that curious then I'll be up front. I have no reason to be ashamed of my dolls or what it cost to me to have them. I don't make it a point to push them off onto every unsuspecting passerby because I know they are a little off putting. This hobby can be somewhat ridiculous so it's best to take things with a grain of salt when you're not met with the best of responses. If I'm met with negative reactions regarding the cost then I'll bring up my vintage car hobby where the starting point is anywhere from four grand to infinity. Not everyone understands so it's best not to mull over it so much. :3

13. When someone ask me this question I answer "it's expensive" and if the person wants the price I only tell the half ^^ (and "only" 200€ is still very very expensive for some people...)

14. It depends. If the person asking is interested in joining the hobby, I'll give them an honest answer so they know what to expect whan they start looking around at dolls and accessories. If they're just asking for no particular reason, I'll say they are expensive and let them draw their own conclusions.

15. Two ways. One, act dumb. Two, be shockingly frank. But I don't have this problem yet since my family is very accepting and I have yet to tell many people about it.

16. If they ask, I tell them the approximate cost. If they think it's too high, that's their problem. But the following replies are usually sufficient.

1. "They aren't toys, they are a hobby. All hobbies cost money."
      2. "they are a work of art, fully customizable." Then show them how you can change the wigs and eyes.
      3. "They have to be imported from Asian, you can't just buy them anywhere." This usually makes sense to people, as they realize it's a rare collectible.
      4. "Most good art is expensive, a lot of paintings or sculptures sell for more." which is true
      5. "Some people put a lot of money into cars or gaming or DVD collections or shoes or purses...I prefer dolls." This worked on my friend who was just going on and ON about wasting money on dolls until I pointed out her purse and shoe collection cost a LOT more than all of my dolls and accessories put together...and a second hand doll brings a lot more money than the $200 pair of shoes she sold used for $5.
      6. "It's cheaper than a kid! What I spent on this doll is a lot less than just the hospital bill to have a baby!" This only works if you don't have kids.
      7. "He makes the perfect pet/baby. Might be weird to you, but my "baby" will never need a diaper/litter box changing, never eat or drink, never get sick, never need a sitter, never cry, never whine, never disobey me, never tear up my stuff, ...." the list goes on. Nobody can argue with this, even if it is weird to them.
      8. And most importantly..."S/he is worth it to me." That's really all that needs to be said. No other argument or defense is necessary. What you do with your money is none of their business unless you used money you owed them on the doll. They can say what they want, but it doesn't change that you are happy with your doll.

17. While I agree to many statements CloakedSchemer pointed out, if they ask/complain about the high price these dolls cost, all I have to tell them is it's my money I earned with my hard work. It's none of their bussiness to worry about where or why I spend my money on dolls.

18. Urgh. I really don't like getting that question. I'm an awfully bad liar, but I do think it's nobody's business how much my doll costs. Nobody in my family and none of my friends would think of buying one, and I really don't need them to look at me funny for doing what I do. If people are not interested in dolls themselves, and ask you how much they cost, they are probably going to voice their disapproval. Since I'm not telling them that I think their toys (read: smartphones, iPads, X-boxes and the like) a waste of money, I really don't want to hear them condemn mine as such.

19. The people I'm closest to are usually the only people that see my dolls. They know the general cost, but when they ask how much I paid for a particular doll I just kind of change the subject or say "a lot."

20. I never told my parents how much they cost when they asked me because I knew that they would flip. I just say "oh, around $100" and leave it at that.

One of my coworkers who is a doll collector (she collects barbies and vintage dolls) asked how much my doll costs once and I was honest, and it will be the LAST TIME I ever am honest to anyone about the cost of my dolls. She laughed and then started telling everyone that I spent $500 on a doll and they were all laughing at me and it was so embarassing. I am not kidding. She was so. . . ughhh!!! Needless to say, I don't really talk to her much anymore. . .