1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What to do when your parents don't "like" your dolls?

Apr 30, 2015

1. I had the same issue, my mother kept complaining about how much I'd spent on dolls so I said to her "there's money that goes into savings, and then there's money that goes into having fun" and that pretty much ended that conversation.

2. My parents HATE my BJDs. But, I don't care now. I just do not talk with them about my hobby and I do not go out my dolls when my parents are at home.
      I never talk about money with them. It's my salary I do what I want with it.

3. I intend on hiding my dolls from my parents when they arrive for as long as I can ;-; other than that, once they discover them I will just try my best to keep my dolls away from them and out of their sight

4. @littleraeven Just thought I'd give you an update since we're around the same age+were in the same situation; I recently told my parents about my BJD since I ordered her and when I told them the price all I got was an "Oof" and then was told that if I really wanted her it was fine, to take very good care of her because she was expensive, to limit my spending for the year on things I didn't need, and to send pictures! Really surprising because I expected sighing and complaining on my dad's end at least!

5. I think this thread is for people younger than me. I graduated from college long time ago and have a full time job lol.

I've always wanted to have a resin bjd. But knowing the expenses, I couldn't allow myself to enter the hobby while my parents are working hard to pay for my tuition and boarding. Having said that, I bought my first doll when I got my first tax return lol.

A month ago, my mom visited me and just saw my dolls for the first time. Even I have a job, she still thinks that these dolls/wigs/clothes/shoes are expensive AF and that I should save my money for better stuff. So the moral my story is that no matter how old you are and no matter how much money you make, parents are parents.

FUN FACT: My mom liked my Miadoll Soo so much that she took him back home with her xDDDDDDDDDDDD.

6. That's good that they seem to be okay with it! I think when I get my doll I'm literally just going to order her, wait till she arrives and explain what she is and explain how happy she is going to make me and hopefully they'll understand.

7. My mother HATED it at first. She said that they were creepy, ugly, for children, and too expensive. I moved out and now she wants to see pictures of the clothes I sew for them! Next time I visit home, my dolly is coming with me.

8. My parents just poked at them, thought they were weird and then continued on. Every now and then we discuss how much they cost me but that's mostly due to my thoughts of selling them.

9. I have the same issue and basically, parents will never understand XD. All my mom complains about is the price. I think my dad thinks it's creepy, but that's why I wanted one in the first place. To freak friends out lol. But I understand where our mom's are coming from and even I think it's expensive sometimes, but if you love your doll it doesn't matter one bit.

10. Well, I did tell both my parents that I love the dolls and they were ok with it. But knowing how my father is, when I get my first bjd, he's just gonna keep commenting on it and stuff. He's probably gonna make fun of me for it.

11. My parents were just, "Eh, it's your money" and moved on. My mother when she saw mine in person thought she was really pretty, and helped me change her outfit. She's kind of grossed out by the eyes when they're removed (either the gaping holes in the face, or the eyes in your hand) but otherwise thinks it's cool.

12. Haha.. yeah. I understand how you feel :) I don't like to tell people about amounts of dolls because their is so much explaining but for those who do find out, I tell them it's really like paintings. Basically a a ever changing painting that can be customised (wigs, clothes, eye chips) as your art preferences changes. So like how no one can agree on the best art, I like "this art" and though not everyone can appreciate it I do :)

13. My mum doesn't know how many dolls I have. If I want to show her something I show the clothes without them being worn by the dolls. I don't show her the dolls anymore. Long ago, when I started (and they really looked like crap xD) she was annoyed by how ugly they were.

Now they are pretty but more expensive (I don't set limits like before, because I'd rather pay a ltitle more and have a doll I like competely ;) and so her 'new' problem with them is that they're expensive.

But it's the same when I buy myself some new clothes, shoes or anything. Even my car for her is just a ridiculour expense but she's the first to jump in when I go downtown. Sooo... I stopped to show off. The less she knows the better.

I never did drugs, rarely had problems at school (not that she'd care anyway) but in her opinion, I've always been a 'tough' kid when it comes to my hobbies... I used to be fascinated by all kinds of those glittery crazy 1980s bands and so on... I dressed like them, I painted them and I listened to them. I still like it because I wouldn't be what I am today without the music I listened to 10 years ago. Still, I never enjoyed a neutral/i'm-okay-with-that attitude. So over the years I stopped to care.

14. I was really lucky to have a mother that collected dolls when she was my age so she was fine with it. My father however made it clear that he did not like it. I just don't talk about it with him and talk to my mum about my doll plans.

15. I ignore them, though, my dad is chill about it. Their opinion doesn't matter to me if they don't like my dolls. If I'm happy that's all that matters anyways.

16. My mom hated them because at the time I was a college student living under her roof and working a steady part time job.

My first doll was a $220 ResinSoul Feng 70cm boy. I was super excited as I thought it was a great bargain, considering other more expensive dolls out there. I was foolish enough to tell my mom the price and she went ballistic. She hated the utterly expensive, useless dolls and she was quite nasty about voicing her dislike.

Still, I did buy a few dolls while under her roof (much more expensive dolls) that I kept hidden until I moved out. Now she calls them pretty, but I still believe she thinks them a waste of time and money.

17. My parents don't approve, but then again, they don't approve of much of what I do anyway. As I am an adult and live halfway across the country from them, the topic rarely comes up. My mom did become a bit more understanding as she found out some of her friends collect dolls (like Madame Alexander or Barbies).

18. Kick them out! (The parents, not the dolls.)

I kid, I kid. Honestly, best advice I can give is: don't let it get under your skin. If you bought it with your own money and are being sensible about finances then it's none of their concern. They can loudly proclaim how much they hate your dolls if they want and you can learn to ignore them. Not everyone is going to understand your hobbies, and parents in particular have a way of saying insensitive things they don't realize are insensitive. If you learn to deflect unkind remarks now, you'll have an advantage later in life.

19. My parents do not like my dolls, but they won't force me to quit. I use my own money to buy the things i want. Although they think I could save those money for further use, but it still my call. For the owners who use their parents money to purchase dolls, I do think they could ask them quit. The best way to stop others judge your decision is use your own money.

20. I don't think my mom even knows I have any? But I don't live with her, I live with my dad, and he's seen my SD (butt naked at box opening, too!) He's used to my eccentricities though, and he doesn't judge me on what I spend my money on, because he'd be one to talk, ha.

If either of them did want to try to say something I'd just be like, uh, it's my money, look at what you spend your money on that I don't care for/understand/think is stupid. Not everyone likes the same things. They can get over it.