1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What to do when your parents don't "like" your dolls?

Apr 30, 2015

1. I live with my parents, because it’s cheap, but I pay rent and take care of landscaping. They know I can afford this hobby so they don’t care. My mom thinks they’re beautiful.

It’s kind of funny, I can’t mow the lawn right now due to physical issues, so I had to fight with them over me paying for a lawn service to do it, rather than have them help pay. That’s part of my responsibilities, I pay for it!

Upside is, you only have to live with your parents until you’re an adult, after that? Who cares!

2. They would not like her if I were to tell the the cost.

3. Unfortunately, many parents treat their children like something they own, kinda like continuations of themselves, not separate human beings. According to that mindset, kids are only allowed to like what their parents approve, nothing more. I sincerely hope this is not your case. You could try to explain how this hobby helps you develop your creativity, that it’s not just a child’s toy but an art object. Don’t be aggressive and\or defensive about it, just rational. Good luck!

4. I... am lucky not to live my parents, so it's not much of a factor. However, they do know I collect other 'toys,' and are not overly happy about that. They were more vocal back in the day when I either lived with them or when they thought I'd be moving back in, but since that time they've moved to be quietly judgmental, which I care less about. I'm sure one would say, 'So creepy!' if they knew, and the other would say, 'Couldn't you just buy a Barbie for $7?'

5. My father doesn't approve of my dolls, but I am used to him not approving of my life. I have to use their shipping address when ordering things because my apartment's post office box is in the middle of nowhere and the apartment itself is hard to find so I am terrified of having the person delivering a doll leave it somewhere I can't find it, so it's kind of obvious when I'm getting a doll, even though I don't live with my parents.

It is irritating, though, when he looks at my male dolls and insists they are girls. But, I am dealing with that.

He can't say my Immortality of Soul Doctor Strange is a girl. Just not possible.

6. yeah... my mom is not exactly thrilled about my dolls, but she doesn't say much about it. however, i never tell her the real prices of my dolls. my father passed away before i started the hobby though, so i don't know how he'd react, but i have always been a manga geek since i was young & he was okay with it.

#206 sureya, Jun 10, 2018
      Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    7. I'm old enough to be a granny myself, so my parents are both gone. But I know that if they were still alive, they would really liked my dolls.
      My parents were always very supportive of any hobby I took up. Also, my husband is no longer alive, but I KNOW he would have loved BJDs. He would have collected them himself. He was a sculptor, and probably would have designed his own BJD.

8. I think my entire family is kind of :huh?: about my dolls, especially since I've accumulated so many. My dad thankfully has a supportive "I don't get it, but we're both hobbyists and that's cool" sort of attitude (he collects model trains) but my sisters are more judgmental. I get the same UGH ANOTHER DOLL??? HOW EXPENSIVE WAS THAT ONE??? reaction every time. But I think that's mostly because I used to have a ton of spare money lying around that they could take advantage of, so I just mock them about how much they spend on experimental face masks and skin moisturizers and concealers and hair dye jobs.

9. I still live with my family since I'm on disability, but I'm long past the point of caring about what my parents think of my hobbies. The rest of my family doesn't know aside from my uncle, who is neutral on my collecting. Everyone in this house collects something anyways.:)

10. I have yet for anyone to tell me my dolls are weird or act like they don't like them. As long as I like them my family seems to like them. Or at least supportive of it. It's not like they would have a say since I buy them myself, but even if they didn't I guess ignoring them is the best you can do.

11. As I'm a grown up woman, I would not let the opinion of my parents decide over what I like. Everyone has a hobby and every hobby costs an amount of money. Even when you think somebody elses hobby is a waste of money, somebody else thinks the same about yours. So in the end there is nothing to do when parents don't like our hobby. Everyone has opinions and tastes, so if they won't like dolls: ok! Still gonna buy them :P!

12. I think my mum saw my door when she came into my room to put some stuff. She must have thought that she had a creepy son.

13. My mom thinks my hobby is a little creepy, but she accepts that it's my money and my decision.

14. Mom knew well about my purchase but at first, she can't seem to rationalize my purchase. Like your situation OP, she thought of other stuffs I could've bought or spent the money on. But months passed and she just kinda accepted my doll's presence there, even wanting me to buy him a companion or something (she wants me to buy a gal but eh, boys for life lol)

15. My parents do not know about the cost. They just appear in my room one day and they can't do anything about it but complain on how I have too much stuff already. If they knew the cost I'm sure there would be some yelling. :3nodding:

16. I still live near my parents, but not in the same house. My dad does not really know about it but he is having his own expensive hobbies and collected all sorts of things during his life and my mother is probably just more-or-less-happy about me having a hobby which fits for a daughter rather than a son (at least that is what she thinks of it).
      Well, everytime the topic comes up, she keeps on teasing me about the fact that I did not like dolls back when I was a kid, which is not true, because I had countless action-figures etc. but she thinks of the baby-kind of dolls... :|

I try to avoid the topic... I spend my money the way I like to and I don't need anyone to judge me for collecting things that make me happy. There are so much worse things to spend time and money on... some come on... :roll:

17. My dad thinks they're odd but interesting in their uniqueness. My mom is indifferent to the dolls themselves, but since she's the co-owner of my parents' business that's in charge of finances she's rather frugal and can't understand why I'd put so much money into a doll.

18. Umm I don’t know.... cuz my dad actually liked my boy. ٩(˃̶͈̀௰˂̶͈́)و

19. my dad thinks im idiotic wasteing my money on plastic XD i then correct him on the fact that they are resin n that if im earning the money for them it shouldnt bother him because its not like im dipping into his bank for them im 20 but i live at home so get alot of werid looks from my dad for wanting them (dont actually currently have any but when i go back to work i will)

20. Polyurethane resin, which is a type of plastic. Yes, I'm being pedantic but still...

If you're living at home then presumably your living costs are heavily subsidized. The money that you're spending on luxuries is money that you could be using to support yourself. If that is the case then you are costing them money, albeit indirectly.