1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What was the first doll you wanted to buy?

Jul 3, 2014

1. I was thinking about my own personal experience and I was wondering about others too! When you first joined, what doll did you first fall in love with or consider getting as your first doll? Is it the same as the doll you ended up getting?

For me, I think the first dolls I really had my eyes set on were either a Unoa Lusis or a doll from Supia. Funnily enough, the doll I ended up first buying was a Peak's Woods doll and now I can't see myself owning any doll that isn't from them!

What are your experiences? I'd love to know :)

2. Well, I still want a Volks Suigintou. I'm not about to pony up the absurd amount of money that she sells for though, especially given the age.

There are plenty of companies, plenty of dolls that fit whatever aesthetic that you enjoy. Which is a good and bad thing, because it means that there is always something out there that you'll want.

3. I got into the hobby in 2008ish (my first doll arrived in 2009) and I was obsessed with Dream of Doll. I remember spending hours looking at their website at their beautiful dolls.

My first doll was a DOI Luke V2, and I remember wanting as much doll as my money could buy, lol.

I will never get rid of him, but now I prefer MSDs much more than SDs because they are so much easier to store, and sew for. But trust me, I am also enamoured with Peaks Woods! I accidentally ended up with two SD girls, two MSD girls (one is on the way), and a yoSD girl from them.

The range of visual style on dolls is much more broad now than it was then, so that is really cool to me c: In total now I own dolls from probably around fourteen or so different companies.

4. I used to really like Luts sculpts when I was first introduced to BJDs. They’re absolutely wonderful dolls even though now I’d say I like more mature looking BJDs. I also remember really wanting a Migidoll Miho and a Souldoll Maribell (it’s sad Souldoll’s double line is now discontinued :atremblin). Eventually, I didn’t get either of them and just recently ordered a Dollshe Amanda, she’s really perfect in every way for me. :kitty1 I also plan on getting an SID Felix at some point because I really want a couple!

5. I first saw, and started paying for, a Dollzone Mo. Then, I saw a Ringdoll Sol. I bought Sol, but he's ended up neglected, in his box under my bed. I keep meaning to photograph him for sales photos, but I've built up the sentimental connection [as he came at such a tough time in my life]. So, while I say I have 4 dolls, I actually have 5. But, only 4 on permanent display.

And, I never have gone back for a Dollzone Mo.

6. Around 2006 when I was looking for OT 1/6 customisable dolls and walked in Domuya's shop by chance. The small and big bjds fascinated and scare me, after initial shock worn off I didn't think much of it until after I was looking through the net for more OT 1/6 custom info. I didn't think much about Domuya after they moved out of my country when I needed to get OT doll(1/6 dollfie) parts from them.

Around 2008 some small doll friends online and offline started to go big vinyl. Thats when I had a better look at those big dolls. But didn't really do anything after visting a local doll fair and Volks, even though I wanted an AOD Lan or MSD Miyu. I did go do more research on bjds.

In 2011 it took seeing a shop pic of a Parabox Megu who resemble my fav char and re-starter OT doll that made me go 50cm. Almost 2 years later my minor grail Iplehouse Dexter became my first resin. I enjoy working with them since they're so highly customisable. I still rotate playtime with their 1/6 OT counterparts though.

7. I think it was late 2006 when I had decided on my first bjd. A cp delf lishe. There was one in the marketplace and I was absolutely smitten with. I was so excited and I made my first two payments for her layaway. But then I got sick and at the time I didn't have insurance and had to pay for my meds and urgent care visit by myself. It sucked, but I had to cancel and the member who owned her was nice enough to give me my payments back even though her thread stated that they were non-refundable. Then in 2007 my husband bought me my first which ended up being a tiny cherishdoll alley unicorn. I still regret not getting the Lishe, but I I was so happy to just have a doll, that I took years trying to bond with her.

8. i didn't discover these dolls till i was in my 60's. it was the smiling face of a fairyland real puki that caught me. one of my sayings these days is "if life is long enough" and if it is i look forward to many more smiling faces to come.

9. I fell in love with Switch Ajeong in pale white, right at the beginning of this year! I thought he looked so much like one of my OCs. I didn't end up getting him though because I thought that 60-65cm was hUgE for a first BJD :sweat

10. Discovered BJDs in 2009, I started looking Luts, Fairyland and Soom dolls, I loved Sabik from Soom, but ended up buying a Littlefee DES (I thought the size was easier to manage, and the posing was better), didn't kept her, passed through an MSD, and finally took the plunge and got Sabik (in a sense I consider him my first doll, cause he's the first one I keept).

11. When I first joined the hobby, I was just browsing Google images for some beautiful dolls. I ended up getting on Souldoll's website and immediately fell in love with Souldoll's Edmund. Sadly he has now been discontinued :atremblin, but he will forever be the doll that got me into all this.
      When I had enough money, I had the luck to buy my first BJD Souldoll's Azrael since he embodies everything I love about Ball Jointed Dolls - a unique face, beautiful styling, stunning clothes and so on... :XD:

12. Before I joined the hobby: When I first discovered BJDs, I wanted an Iplehouse Soo but I never purchased her.
      When I joined the hobby: I saw Ringdoll's Senkai when he was being revealed and put up for pre-order, and I was immediately determined to join the hobby and get a handsome guy like him! :whee: I was also looking at Luts' Ju Hee. I was convinced that my first doll would be female but that did not happen. My first doll purchase was Yeon Ho from Crobi Doll. He looks great in real life and I'm glad to have him in my collection. :3nodding:

Senkai is still on my wish list because I simply cannot pass on him. I never went through with any purchases for the female dolls I was initially interested in and I am glad for that. My tastes have definitely changed after becoming more familiar with all of the different doll companies. :sweat

13. Oh man....

My friend got me into this in 2005 I think. She loved Ducan from DoD, and I immediately was enraptured by their beauty. At the time, we were writers who sat around lunch with notebooks, giving each other what we'd written. There were 4 of us. So we were very much into the character customization thing, and usually we'd make our OCs on something like those old pixel doll makers.

So I was HEARTBROKEN when I realized their prices and I was like. 16, lol.

The first one I fell in love with after browsing, when she showed me Ducan, was the pink and white fullset of Twing-Key. I will forever love her, but not as much now. XD I'm still sad DoD is gone, I was obsessed with browsing it. When I came back to this hobby in February, the fist thing I checked was if their site was still up, and it was gone..... :c

BUT. I have 3 dolls (2 should be hitting shipping mode soon!) and a 4th in planning! And I couldn't be happier. >v< I love this hobby.

14. i saw my first doll ten years ago- it was a zaoll luv boy mod and i fell in love with that sculpt. the first doll i got, however, was a souldoll l-heart (i still have him) which i got two years later in 2010.
      a boy zaoll luv was my grail of grails (i loved the face, the height, and the cute tiny body - i thought it would be perfect for a story character named finley i created when i was little), but i was too afraid to modify the chest myself as a newbie in the hobby, so i put it off. but in 2016 i was lucky enough to receive a beautiful zaoll luv boy from someone here on doa who wanted to sell theirs, so i now have my grail c: plus 24 other bjds ahaha.

15. The first dolls I ever fell in love with were Iplehouse Chase & Claude

I never ended up getting either of them, and I dont think I ever will - my tastes have changed too much. (:

16. My first 'real' hobby as an adult was building 1:12 scale dollhouse kits. Soon enough, I wanted a doll to put in one. I searched... this was back in 2009 and while seaching for scale dolls, BJDs came up. I looked at them and thought they were really neat. I've liked dolls since I was a kid but have only ever owned play dolls or porcelain display dolls. Someone gifted me some money to buy something very nice for myself I wouldn't normally buy. I found a second hand (I think it was a Luts or Delf fantasy eared doll with some fangs) on Ebay listed by someone in the Chicago area. Well, I won the auction, was really thrilled and paid..... they never sent the doll or a refund just saying they sold it to a friend.... and it was a real heartbreak and pain to get the money back, but PayPal did help. I discovered DoA around that time, it was very different back then. I mostly looked at the photos. Since I had been scammed, I was very wary of the community for a very long time. I pinned after a doll in an Ebay store called dollssinging that is operated by jeeryama for 4 years. I was really scared to try to buy another BJD but PayPal is reliable, so I did. He is a Popodoll Chen. He's still my favorite BJD. After I ordered him, I knew I needed to learn to take care of him because he was a lot of money and I never had even seen one in person before. I logged back into DoA, and browsing around found other owners in Kentucky. They helped me out a whole lot, and they invited me to the next meetup in Frankfort at an Asian Buffet. I met them all, met their dolls and they helped me kill the time waiting for him to arrive. I was better prepared to be a BJD owner thanks to DoA and the Kentucky BJD meetup group. I think I have 18 resin dolls now and renewed my childhood love for all types of dolls.

So, I did not end up getting the first BJD that caught my eye, but in the end it's all good and I've had my Popodoll Chen for over 4 years and still love him a whole lot. Oh, and I did get a dollhouse doll.... she even has her own dolls now. :lol:

17. I was drawn to all of the LUTS sculpts. I really wanted a Woosoo. I settled for a Shiwoo.

I also really wanted a Volks Tony? I think that was his name. I remember he was a Fullset and had a really punky vibe.

18. @Leiothrix Haha I too still also want a Volks Suigintou as she is still one of my grails, but the price she is going for is a little absurd! Thankfully though, the newly released Volks F-72 sculpt looks surprisingly close to Suigintou! They're like long lost sisters!:3nodding:

@sayakami The first doll that got me in the hobby was a Volks Shinku, but the first doll i had really fallen in love with after seeing owner pictures was a Volks Suiseiseki/Souseiseki. I had just finished watching all of the Rozen Maiden anime, and I loved how the Volks Shinku sculpt looked just like the character, but way more realistic at the same time. I fell in love with the Suiseiseki sculpt after seeing how cute and expressive her big eyes were, and her pouty lips really added on to her personality. Of course she is one of Volks' more rarer dolls so it was impossible to get her (I was about 14 at the time), and I don't think I'll ever drop that much money ever just to get her, even though she is still one of my grails. I remember i started seriously saving up loose change back in junior high just so I can try and save for her since I was still young and didn't have a job. I even had a friend offer to take me to walmart so the 2 of us could spend the day looking for coin change in the parking lot hahaha!! We were both 14 years old hahahha! :lol:Fast forward about 10 years later and I finally got my first doll, a Roserindoll Amy, who is an MSD sized doll, and her bisque doll characteristics and the fact she has some teeth showing were the reasons I fell in love with her sculpt instantly. In a way, she reminded me a bit of the Suiseiseki sculpt because of her large eyes and the curve of her lips, but Amy was totally a unique sculpt of her own.

I still love the sculpts I fell in love with that got me in the hobby, but in the end I don't think it'll ever be possible for me to get them. I ended up getting another doll from a different company as my first doll, and soon after welcomed 3 floating heads as well :XD:

19. I first began to research bjds with the intention to buy around 2010, but did not get too serious about them until 2 years later.

I knew I wanted a doll that was in the 1/3 scale, and I wanted a realistic, well proportioned body. The two companies I ogled the most were Iplehouse and the Soom Idealian male bodies, but I was not sure that the hobby would be for me, so I decided to buy a ResinSoul Feng sculpt instead.

Now, I still collect the larger sizes of bjd, and I still love the more realistic aesthetic beauty of Iplehouse and Dollshe bjds. :love

20. My first doll in love is Switch Sohwa Mocha Brown. And then Iplehouse Daniel, and then Dollits Somu, and now Volks Somi.......at last I found the reason why I’m changing all the time is because that I want them all!:loveI want them join my family one by one:3nodding:wish me luck!