1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What worries you the least about your dolls?

Sep 16, 2019

1. I'm not worried about yellowing. It's inventible and can be masked if I want to. Resin matching also isn't an issue, I'm just happy I got the right sculpts, bit mismatched resin is no problem. Resell price is also pretty unimportant for me, I can't imagine I would ever sell any doll, especially a complete one. I bought them because I wanted them, afterall.

2. There are a lot of things I don't worry about with my dolls. I think part of my carefree attitude is because I've been in this hobby for well over a decade and have gotten over a lot of it, but also the dolls are my stress relief and I see them more as play things than collectibles holding a high value.

A few things that really don't worry me:
      -yellowing, unless it's extremely uneven or banana yellow/pea green
      -restringing, unless it's a doll with lots of fantasy or animal parts, it's pretty easy
      -damaging faceups/blushing, as I usually do my own, and it's not really a big deal to redo it
      -if clothes/eyes/wigs/shoes will fit. I have a wide variety of sizes and body types in the SD range, if one can't wear it, another probably can, or I can sell/trade it and get something better
      -seam lines, as long as they aren't sharp enough to cut me! It bothered me a long time ago because my first few dolls were fully sanded and getting one that wasn't seemed unfinished, but now I've had so many, I don't really think about it.
      -brand new dolls arriving damaged. It's happened to me 4 or 5 times now, and the companies always send me a new part without any problem.
      -doing minor mods myself. I'll commission a big mod or something on a really expensive or rare doll, but taking a file to a cheaper head for a nose or eye mod, or to do a minor hip mod for mobility doesn't scare me anymore. I can probably get it looking like I want, but if not, there are artists who can restore it, or I can get a new part.
      -taking my doll out in public. I'm kind of past caring what strangers think, and I'm totally fine sticking one in a tote bag
      -likewise, having family and friends know about my dolls. My sister is in the hobby and my parents have accepted it. Husband is a gamer and understands expensive toys, and most of my friends are either in the hobby too or have their own unique hobbies and don't judge.
      -doing what I want to do with my dolls. While I'd never try to be outright offensive, I really don't care much about the opnions of others or if they like my dolls. Getting likes on social media for my dolls is a good feeling, but if I'm happy with my dolls, I'm not going to change them just because someone else doesn't like them.

I guess the main things I do worry about would be if secondhand dolls will arrive in the condition I expect and problem transactions/scammers. Another big one would be when I'm selling a doll, many of mine in the past didn't have a CoA or box, even though they're definitely legit. I was often at least their second or third owner, and they may have never had a CoA or had been lost along the way. Boxes and CoAs just weren't important when I started the hobby, and it worries me that they're so important now and that my dolls' value may be greatly lowered over a piece of paper, or even worse, that I could get accused of having recast dolls just because I've had older dolls.

3. My dolls being seen as ugly or creepy- that seems to be a sore spot in this hobby, but I love the creepy legacy of dolls. I don't mind when non-hobby folks react with fear that my dolls are going to kill them in their sleep or something... I think it's kinda funny.

Also, clothes. I DEFINITELY don't worry over clothes. I don't need a ton of them, and they don't need to be perfect. I really don't care so long as the clothing is durable and looks good on the outside.

4. I guess I’m not too concerned about wearing dark clothes and leaving small staining marks here and there. Since most of those spots are gonna be covered by clothes anyways xD

5. Most stuff. I don’t worry too much about them at all. They’re pretty tough plastic and they exist to be played with & for me to enjoy. I carry them in rucksacks, touch their faces, let people handle them, leave them in the sitting room etc.

Maybe a little apprehensive about yellowing since I’ve not experienced it yet, but I gues I can just add a pink blush?

6. I wanted to chime in about yellowing and getting smudges on dolls. Some of my dolls are kind of old,and still don't show any signs of yellowing,and the one that is yellowed is actually very pretty. I don't care about getting them dirty anymore either. I used to worry about that and kept them in their boxes,and didn't want to "handle" them too much. What was I even worried about? They're really easy to clean.

7. I'm not so worried about restringing or seam lines. Seam lines are covered up by clothing, and restringing is pretty easy--I've already done it plenty.

8. I don't worry about touching their faces. Yellowing. Chips on face-ups/body blushing (I do my own like a lot of people mentioned here). Minor mods. I'd love to try a more extensive mod tbh, but can't cross that line of doing it to an expensive doll...yet I'll dye them. *shrugs*

Scratches on tan dolls don't bother me. I've found that one of those 4-sided nail buffers works friggin wonders. I don't care what people think of my dolls. While I love if people comment nicely about them...90% of my crew are my Original Characters from role plays with my best friend. They dress how they dress whether or not some other person has 'a doll that dresses like that'.

Genuinely the only thing that stresses me out is my 5yr old son loving my dolls so much that he wants to play with them constantly. We're still working on the 'you don't bang toys against walls when they tick you off' phase. There's a couple of second hand dolls that I try to limit his attentions to, but that only works so well xD

9. Yellowing and staining! I remember when I first got into the hobby I was so worried about the resin yellowing, but I've had my dolls for YEARS and I still have never had a problem.

10. When it comes to dolls, I don't care that much about yellowing, small stains from dark clothes, re-stringing, not wearing gloves, small chips in body blushing, or pose-ability of a body. I actually find that yellowing can give a doll a lot of charm imo.

I also don't mind seam lines. My Little Monica boy has really bad seams on his legs, but it's not an issue for me. Plus he's all dressed up anyway, so you never notice them.

I guess I'm more lenient with my dolls compared to when I first got into the hobby. I just remember that these dolls are super durable and are meant to be enjoyed :)

11. Resale value.

To be fair, I don't think it's such a concern in the BJD hobby as it is in other areas of doll collecting. I've never met a BJD collector who calculated their purchases as "investments." That said, the secondhand market causes a lot of anxiety for sellers right now, because it's honestly pretty saturated (and that's not even getting into issues with the rise of recasting and increasing economic instability, as well as other social and cultural changes affecting the hobby). It's hard to sell a doll for a good price, when there are two or three others being sold by cash-strapped folks for half the cost because they need funds ASAP.

I'm not sure how this got so rambly. I think I lost my train of thought, lol.

12. Touching the faceup. I am a worrier, but that is the one thing I don't worry about. I do the faceups myself, if it chips, no big. That being said, I've had the resin itself scuff and that worried me.

13. I do not worry about any resale value, because I just keep them. Consequently, I also do not worry much about little dents after falls or other little defects because I have learnt that you can repair almost anything.

I do not worry about yellowing at all. Though I have to admit my dolls live on the northern side of our house, so no direct sunlight. Although I love to take them into our garden whenever I feel like and train my photography skills.

As I have very specific requirements regarding sculpts, I do not worry about resin matching. I always think "Well, often peoples' heads and bodies have different skinshades, so why worry about dolls being perfectly uniform?"

14. I don't really worry about much of anything :celebrate

Yellowing: It's imminent. If anything it only goes to show how long I've treasured my dolls
      Bad Posing: I can always re-string, wire, or suede the joints
      Small dings/ dents/ flaws: It only makes my doll uniquely "mine" e.g. oh, my chloe is the one that has a poc mark on the booty
      Doing mods: I only ever do temporary mods and since I'm the one who made them I know how to remove them:thumbup
      Return of investment/ re-sale value: I am quite attached to my dolls and would never sell them

The only thing I mind at this point in time is when a doll I just ordered arrived broken or damaged (hello IMPLDOLL and ACBJD!!) sure I can cover it with a faceup and do mods but still :sigh

15. I'm not too worried about damage or yellowing. I do my own face-ups so I can fix or redo one if it gets chipped. Yellowing, eh, it happens. The only real damage to the resin that any of my dolls has suffered was a broken finger and that was during shipment. I just glued it back on, and the break was so clean, you can't even tell now.

As others have said, resale value. The ones that have been here for more than a year have very little chance of going up for sale.

I'm also not too worried about the number of unfinished dolls I have. I know I'm winding down on buying new dolls, so soon it will be time to get around to dying that one doll that I've been putting off all year, and painting that cat doll that I've been putting off even longer. I'll have enough projects involving them to last me for a few years, I think, and I like it like that.

16. That my dogs would decide the chew them out of jealousy lol

17. I don't worry about yellowing. My eldest doll (10+ years old now!) who went out more than all my other dolls (with a larger crew, it is more like "who's turn is it?" instead of "I take my first baby everywhere!") but his color mellowed out very mildly. Enough to notice, but not an ugly color beyond my general issue with how spray tan orange dollzone tan looks to me now that there are way more shades of tan available than back then.

I also got over my fear of dyeing dolls (and rit dyemore works really well for me), so I know I am ready to re-pink them if it ever gets to the point it bothers me.

I also never give a hoot about skin tone matching because I can paint heads to match and now I also dye bodies from time to time so I will need to make tweaks anyway.

18. I used to worry so much about everything because they look so dainty and delicate and easy to damage and the fact that tan turns green terrifies me
      Now I don’t worry so much about leaving them in a location that isn’t pitch black, I don’t worry about chipping face ups as I plan to learn how to fix them, I don’t worry about breaking body parts because they’re a lot sturdier than I expected.
      I’m a lot less anxious about them now :lol:

19. I don't worry about re-touching faceup. I know some people who don't really touch their dolls faces without gloves or touch only the top of the head because they are worried about the face up. It is a good concern, touching the face a lot will wear the face up sooner, but I just feel like I can't be bothered to avoid the face and I like touching up face ups anyway.

Also, I am not too concerned about body and head skin tones matcing, if it is close enough and the head fits the body otherwise. I can always paint the neck and head to match each other.

20. I agree with a lot of these that I've read but for me, I don't worry about telling people the cost of my dolls, (Which is often the first questions people have). I earned that money and put it into something I greatly enjoy. They can judge all they want but I don't care, its my choice how I spend my money, (as long as it doesn't put me into financial problems). :)