1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What's more important, the HEAD, BODY, or BOTH?

Mar 13, 2017

1. Definitely the face is the most important part. I can't deny that body has a lot to do with it, though. But I'm willing to put up with a weird body if I'm in love with the face. On the other hand, I've yet to find a body I liked enough to put up with a weird face.

2. Being new to this hobby, I focus on the head. I feel the body with be covered with clothes.
      Hands, however are also important to me.

3. For me, the body it's also very important. I have noticed that when I bought a BJD with an ugly (In my opinion) body, It was more hard for me to take possession of the doll. And finally I frequently sold dolls because of that.
      So now, I check the head and the body before buying a new doll.

4. That's a great question! I think the head matters more, as I can't see myself liking an unattractive sculpt even if the body posed really well. But also I don't think I'd like a beautiful faced doll if the body was just... bad.
      So I guess both, but if I had to choose, head would matter more.

5. I focus more on heads. I like a good looking, realistic body, but I put price before looks most of the time, with a few exceptions.

6. I've already fallen in love with Minifee bodies (I love their aesthetic and how they pose), so I mostly look at heads now.

7. Both! Most of my dolls are hybrids because I'll like a head sculpt but not a body (or vice versa). I like that you can mix and match things in this hobby.

8. I also focus more on the head, I usually try to save money on the body and get it elsewhere. But it also allows me to get a body with proportions I like better.

9. Heads! I do pretty much the same thing as you (OP) does :)
      (It definitely does help save money to do so!)
      Sometimes if it's a rare full set with the body included, I would like buying that too, though!

10. I'd reckon, the head. Facial features that suit my character are what I look for when I decide on the doll. Facial expression is most likely to draw my attention to the doll or put me off, I find them extremely important. While with bodies... well. They can be changed, clothed, modified id necessary. When choosing a doll to shell my female OC, I fell in love with a very feminine-looking male sculpt and decided to go for it. Female body from the same company looks just fine with it.

There is a special case though, when a character requires a special body type. Say... really muscular, or unusually proportioned, or having specific fantasy parts. Say, I'm expecting Doll Chateau doll to shell a monster character - their extra joints and interesting proportions are just perfect for this purpose.
      On these terms body and head become equally important.

11. I think the body size and shape as well as the facial structure/look is what i look at when wanting to buy a doll.

12. When I'm browsing for dolls, I look for heads I like, but if the body isn't something I like, it's a real deal breaker for me! But actually, my first doll and the reason i got into this hobby was actually because I found a body I really loved and I found a head that I felt suited her! So maybe body is more important to me? I think the body is the foundation of the doll and without it, all you got is a pretty head.

I'm too nervous and too new to get into hybrids. Im too worried of getting a head/body that don't fit or colours dont match or looks odd...*_*

13. Heads are what I look at first& then if I like the head I'll look at the company body. Since I usually keep my dolls sitting or standing around my dolly room, the posing ability of the body is not as important as it's appearance to me. I've bought a few cheaper bodies for hybriding, but I wasn't satisfied with how they looked. I tried ignoring it because I usually keep my dolls fully clothed, but I couldn't get over it. :sweat

14. Heads are definitely what I gravitate the most towards, though I do love nicely sculpted bodies. If I found a head I love I doubt the body would keep me from buying it, especially knowing it will mostly be covered by clothing.

15. For me, the head is the most important. When I bought my first dolls, I was really concerned about both. After a while, I felt that the bodies were less important because they are usually covered up by clothes. I only see the bodies if I am changing the clothing. I also like to buy heads alone and switch them out on the bodies I have. I converted from favoring both, to strongly favoring heads.

16. I need to say both because while the head is the first thing I look, the body also need to be aesthetic pleasing. I decided not to buy a doll because their butt was ugly, and is not like they would be naked, but I would know it was there. And also why I made two hybrids since I didn't like the company body.

Different heights is important to me too so the characters are not all of the same size, and I guess I prefer bodies that look natural - not sure if is the word- where the joints also don't look ugly. But is the body is pretty I can ignore joints. I dont even think about posing much, usually is an after thought I have.

17. Mmmh... this is a tough one. Since I'm planning to get dolls to represent my own (already existing) characters, I'd like for both their faces and bodies to be as close as possible to my mental images of them. However, I do also realise that this isn't always possible: sometimes a body is perfect, but the size is too big for what I need, while some other times the size is perfect, but the body is way too muscular for the character I have in mind and so on.

However, if I had to pick one, I'd rather have a doll whose body isn't 100% on point rather than a face I don't like/doesn't suit my needs. With the bodies, as long as the overall shape is somewhat appropriate (e.g., a supposedly thin/average weight character doesn't get a super hero body and vice versa) and the height differences are right (e.g., a supposedly short character doesn't get a 70 cm body while the tall dude gets a 60 cm body), I don't think it's much of an issue, even if the body itself isn't *exactly* what I had in mind. After all, as others pointed out, clothes will cover said body 99,9% of the time XD

18. I prefer hybriding, so definitely both head and body. I also love it when I add a new body that I didn't have.

19. I'd have to say both but more so for Heads. A good sculpt will sell a doll for me, but If i hate the body, Ill hold off and try to buy just the Head. And this is why I still have two Granado floating heads, I just dont like Granado bodies at all.
      I can deal with a less than perfect body, but not a flat out bad body. Front Butt (where the hip joints stick out like the butt but in front) is one thing I just cant stand)

20. The body size is a consern (only for clothes and pricing) but the face is my main priority personally.

Tags: