1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What's more important, the HEAD, BODY, or BOTH?

Mar 13, 2017

1. My main concern is the proportions between the two. So many dolls are in something like anime proportions (at least at msd scale) even if they have relatively realistic or otherwise attractive faces and/or bodies.

2. Both for me! Oh wait, no, make that head first, then body.
      The thing is, everything in BJD are beautifully done. Sure there are some really creative sculpts out there, but a realistic sculpt like real person? A curvy body on the plus side with matching double-chinned head aren't something seen often. Chubby ones are usually at tinies or yosd size. Hardly seen sd size sculpt that features plump or chubbier ones.. i mean would majority of the people buy them?

3. When I first entered the hobby, I just thought a beautiful head is enough. But nope, I was proven wrong.
      After I did the faceup, I just don't have motivation to sew clothes for the doll because the body isn't cup of my tea

So now, I feel both body and head is important, aesthetically and poseability :)

4. I'd say, like a lot of folks here, that both are important. Obviously I need to love the face, but I can't just put the perfect head on a generic body. They have to suit each other, since the body is part of the character, too.

5. For Oc it's the face but when I saw my very first doll his entire sculpt spoke to me and I knew he was the one that I couldn't live without.

6. That's a good question.
      I suppose it's down to personal preference.
      Though, for me atleast, I consider both to be important.
      The face is arguably the area where where people will pay the most attention, which is to be expected. As humans we recognise faces. So a good head sculpt, on that you like, is important.

Body is a little less notable.
      I've seen some people choose to buy an exspensive head sculpt and get a less costly body to put it on. Which is a great idea. With bodies usually being clothed, or more covered then the face.

For me however, I like a well sculpted body.
      It sort of brings me into the realm of fine and old art, where the human body, both male and female, was celebrated for their beauty.
      (Think, renascence art.)
      That's just me though. ^^

7. For me it's both.
      The first thing that I see is the head sculpt and if I like the head sculpt I will then look at the body sculpt. If the body isn't up to my standards I become instantly disinterested in the doll.
      I also get a bit discouraged if the joints don't look pretty but joints I can work around... however if the body + head don't work then it's a no go for me. v-v;;

8. I buy the head because it's perfect and then pick a body to fit. I have definitely sold bodies because they come to annoy me from a posing/aesthetic/proportion perspective, but if I switch anything rather than selling an entire doll, it's the body that gets switched not the heads.

I love a well-sculpted body but I also worry about posing. The sculpt matters even when many of my dolls are rarely nude. Like I sold the Fdoll body for no reason except I really hated the nipples and like it would look super awkward in photos. like no I don't need hot nipple action on my boy. >_>

9. I agree with everyone saying both. I am a story over doll person, so the face is very important. Also, if my character is very skinny, has a bad posture, height compare to another, it's important. I also care a lot for nicely sculpted hands and proportions.

10. The face is a bit more important to me since the body will mostly be covered with clothes. I do want a body that's moderately good at posing, but it's not my priority. The body is usually not a deal breaker for me if I really really like the head and want the body that comes with it. I'm a bit more picky about the body if I already have a character planned before buying a doll. It has to look just right and go well with the vision I have of the character! Other than that I'm cool with most bodies.

11. The body is my #1 priority, it would seem. I am so stinking picky about doll bodies, that my only BJD is just a floating head. I've spent over a month now studying bodies for 3+ hours a night, and I still have not found the one. However, I also don't write stories or create characters to be shelled, so that's why the face isn't my first thought. To me, the face lets me know who they are, if that makes sense?

12. Even I focusing on the head, I think both body and head are important. I give something like 60% attention to the head and 40% to the body.

13. I'm in the "both" camp. I'd say that face/sculpt is the most important but if the body isn't right with it, the whole thing can look off. For example, even if the face was the best sculpt ever I would still need one of my characters to be shorter than the other for the whole story to look right.

14. Both, surely, though I tend not to make hybrids. When looking for a doll, I try to find a head sculpt I like with a body I at least accept. I gave up beautiful head sculpts because of bodies I didn't like, and never got bodies I love because there was no beautiful head at the same store. Most of the time it is harder to find a doll I like, but when I do, it's worth all the search :3nodding:

15. For me its the complete package. The head is what I look at most. I have to love the head but the body has to have decent possibility. I will hybrid a doll if the body really isn't what I'm looking for but since they will be covered in clothes I generally don't mind so long as they are somewhat close to the aesthetic I'm looking for. I prefer natural looking bodies, not too muscular for men and not too skinny for women. In saying that one of my characters will eventually be shelled by a doll chateau Elizabeth with a human body and I chose her specifically for the body as thats almost identical to what I envision my character looking like. I guess it depends on the character I'm shelling! But generally the head takes priority over the body

16. Both are equally as important to me!
      As long as I like the face up, and it's well painted and suits the head, I don't mine too much.
      But the bodies important because I prefer more proportional looking bodies (or as proportional as you can get with dolls), or one that looks surreal.

17. The head is what draws my attention. A body can be covered in clothes if the look is not to my liking.

18. Head for me. I do care about the bodies, that they fit and be a style I like, but it's easier to find bodies that are acceptable than heads. I'm fussy about faces!

19. Heads are the most important for me, I choose it first and after try to find a body with good proportions ofr the head.

20. I like both, but I prefer heads. I don't have any dolls, but I prefer the head.

Tags: