1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What's more important, the HEAD, BODY, or BOTH?

Mar 13, 2017

1. Head sculpt is the most important to me, and if the default body has good proportions and suits the character's body type then I will go with it even if the posing is lackluster. I've done sueding mods to help if need be.

2. The head for sure.
      I'm still kind of new so it may change over time, but the only thing important about the body is that it fits the head in terms of sizing and color. Aside from that I do not mind much as long as it's kind of natural.. I do not really like doll chateau bodies or other bodies with odd measurements. I am however way more picky when it comes to face sculpts..

3. I have been in the hobby for 8 years now and though I very much love a nice body, the head is most important. I will settle for a reasonable body to hybrid with a nice head any day if that will spare me dollars. In the end my household and its expenses are more important than any hobby.

That said, I won't buy a body, because it comes with the head, but I may buy an extra head if it comes with a body. But usually that body is meant for one of my floating heads.

What is a reasonable body? Any body that will sit up, can slouch and stand. I need the hands to be whole (or hybrid) and the proportions of neck/schoulders and head to be nice. I prefer bodies that have a longer torso and not those endless legs - and do not much care about the resin match. Though I do prefer a pink skinned head to have a pink skinned body and yellow with yellow etc. I will blush the torso and hands if I need colour to match better - but after I do a face-up no body will match anyway :)

4. yeha i noticed i look for face sculpt first, then i look at the chest mainly and then the legs.
      face is the obvious and main focal point of anything; whether it'd be dolls or figures or even drawings.
      chest is important for me because sometimes there are some uh weird busts out there that look like balloons or something LOL
      then legs because some might be made to look like a certain shape? idk how to explain it but yeha lol
      o also hands are important! some may be more slender and whatnot. but i tend to focus more on the heads lol especially the eye shape.
      idk but the eye shape is super important because it can really define the character and/or expression ya know?

so in conclusion; head comes first!

5. I never thought I would end up how I have.
      I've lurked in the hobby since 2008 or so and at the time I mostly cared about the sculpts more than anything. When I got my first BJD, I got her because I fell for her sculpt - her body was fine, and I knew I could hybrid it anyway later down the road. But once I found bodies that I saw as beautifully sculpted and engineered, everything changed; now my top priorities on my wish list are all motivated by a body that I want to own. I don't even have a sculpt in mind yet for one of them!

I think the body is the most expressive part of any human being, and when it comes to dolls that usually have a fixed expression, the body language of that doll can change the significance of the facial expression. The way a doll poses can define its entire personality and change the impression the doll gives off. It's wonderful! I have seen so many sculpts at this point that I'm not sure I'm intimately attached to any of them as much as I want (like being able to have a 'grail'), but I think having the right body for a doll makes the sculpt something much more enjoyable by extension, if that makes sense.

6. They both count but I'm not overly picky unless I have something specific in mind. I figure I'm gonna be looking at it for gosh knows how long I better like the body.

My only complaint about one of my own dolls is that I'm gonna have to do some work on her to get her to behave when posing. (Bobobie. No S-hooks in her hands and her string definitely needs re-doing)

7. I go for the head first :)

8. The more I think about it, the more it bothers me that the bodies for most of my crew aren't quite "right" for the character they're shelling. This one's too muscular, that one's too thin, that one's legs are too long, etc. I'm trying to get better at correcting some of those issues with clothing, but at some point I'd love the chance to hybrid a bit so I like the bodies as much as I like the head sculpt.

9. I usually look at the face! I like cute face. :)

10. Both have a lot of importance for me but I guess the sculpt of the face is the most important thing when your are not looking for an specific type of body.
      In my case, each one of my characters have an specific type of body so I play a lot with hybridisation and give the same important to both.

11. For me it's the head. If I don't absolutely love the head then I really don't want it no matter how beautiful the body may be.

12. The head sculpt usually is the first draw, before looking at the body. Though both are taken into heavy consideration if the doll is only available as a set. Sometimes the body is just too.. Yeah i'm kinda picky in the end. So I'll vote both there! The face is definitely the first thing I'll look at though.

13. Both for me..I did not buy a girl until I found one whose head sculpt and body I liked.

14. They're both important, but the face is definitely most important. However, if I don't like a body, I might consider just buying the head if the head is available on its own, then getting a new body later. However, I'm not super picky about bodies. I do really prefer elegant/detailed hands and curvy legs and bodies.

Actually, now that I think of it, There are a lot of dolls I have considered putting in my wishlist, but then the hands being lackluster kind of kill it for me ^^;; Idk why I just really really like nice looking hands.

On the flip side tho, if I a doll has a super beautiful body but a face I don't care for, I won't buy it either.

So I guess both!?? Lol

15. the head? because body can be replaced anytime I guess :'D

16. The head definitely. I can switch out bodies. I mean, it is important to have the right body for a character, but bodies are easier to find and less individual. Case in point, ALL EID bodies are the same, but the head sculpts differ ergo since I've one of each EID guys (Model & Hero) then I'm set and can switch heads around. I did this w/my Limhwa Mano guy - he looked really top-heavy on his own body while my old man Souldoll Key looked way too buff for an elderly guy - so I switched the bodies & voila! I generally have more heads than bodies, cause I take pictures and don't need 60 full SD dolls lying around when 20 bodies & 60 heads work....

17. Heads are definitely most important, as the head is what draws me in. The bias is fairly minor for me, as really I like it when heads and bodies just work from the start. I have only ever made hybrids when I can unite the head and body immediately. I guess I'm not that patient to hold onto something, I don't keep floating heads for a reason.

18. To be honest both are very important, something I discovered recently when looking for a head and body for a character I had in mind. And further getting confirmed as I search for a body that will go with my doll in mind Larina head ;-; I'm picky with both

19. Obviously the head is the most important, which explains why people go to far lengths for perfect hybrids.

20. I'm picky with both. But if I have to choose one, I will choose a head. Since it has a chance to be discontinued.

Tags: