1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What's more important, the HEAD, BODY, or BOTH?

Mar 13, 2017

1. K so I don't have a doll yet. BUT! I did focus on trying to find a certain types of head sculpt. I tend to mostly focus on the head sculpt. For my first doll, because I already know what types of character/personality she has, I had an idea of a sculpt in my head... Something to represent-ish her personality. Like when you look at her and you're like "Oh she's probably like so and so". Y'know? :3
      Then after that, I focused on trying to find the perfect sculpt! Then once I found the perfect sculpt, I looked at the body options. I plan on getting little Monica little harmony Sarubia for Christmas. I looked at the body types, like there's a basic girl body and a hot body that has a much bigger bust than the girl body. Personally, I think bigger bust is good for more of a womanly, 1/3 girl. Also, for a 1/4 to have a big bust, it's not too bad, it's just that I feel really scared about buying clothing for them because what if I bought a really expensive outfit for them and it turns out that it doesn't fit the doll. I still don't know what body I should get her. qwq

I also kinda forgot what else I was gonna write... RIP 0_0

So, sorry if I kinda ended it in the weird way... It's just that I kinda forgot what else I was gonna write... qwq

But if I remember, I will come back and edit this. ;3

2. Both. It starts with the head, but then I look at the overall shape and proportions of the head and body together. I don't have enough experience to know how well hybrids would work out, and certainly don't have enough money to buy whole dolls and discard the head or body, so for me the complete doll has to work. And there are several things that put me off - childish heads on mature bodies and mature heads on childish bodies; over large heads (the doll aesthetic of slightly oversized heads and eyes is fine, but bobble heads don't appeal to me); proportionally tiny hands and feet; etc, etc.

3. Both. It depends on what I'm looking for really. Right now my interest is in the GEM body MSD. I want one. I don't really care as much when it comes to the head. Though of course any head won't just do. But before I picked my dolls on the face/head, because there was a specific character I was making.

4. I guess the body is as crucial to a character as the head aesthetically because it can determine the height,body type,and gender so I've been thinking of selling my first doll's body (minifee A line) when she arrives, for a 2d doll normal girl body:dance

5. I'm going to go with head :) It's the face that makes/breaks a doll for me. I guess the body can be kinda covered with clothes so to me you don't see it that much. :) While the head is more limited to adjustments.

6. Head! some are limited and difficult to find, there will always be nice bodies to buy, heads are usually more unique, anyway the idea is to have both beautiful :)

7. Definitely the head. I can like a body all I want, but at the end of the day, it's going to be covered in clothing and the face is what's going to stand out. In the case of my Leekeworld girl, I'm obsessed with how cute her body is and am sad her curves are so covered up, but at least she has an equally adorable face, so it all works out.

8. I'd say head. It's usually what makes me want to buy a doll. But the body is important too. I have two Real Pukis and I love them, but I don't want anymore, even though there are more faces I like since they're so fiddly to pose. I'm tempted to get another Xagadoll mostly since mine is so much fun to pose.

9. I've found the body is equally important as the head when I'm looking for a doll. The body shells the character as much as the doll does and I want a body type that suits that character. Like for Logan, I wanted the Embody and not the Evol because the Evol was too over exaggerated in the build.
      I also pick bodies based on how large they are, how their designed and they how they pose. I'm picky in general when it comes to anything for my behbehs.

10. I noticed I usually look at the body first because as I start to look I notice I have a certain body type in mind that I want. Then I'll look for heads/ expressions I like best to fit the body type. So my answer is both! I just do it in a certain order I suppose.

11. Mybe a head? Because you can use the same body for a lot of heads,I have 3 bodies only,but then I buy 5 heads~

12. Head is more important for me. But I also look at hands.

13. Head is the most important. But I do like the look and feel of the Dollstown bodies. My dolls can take a long while for clothing so a nice body does matter to me too. I'm also particular about hands. I like them well sculpted not like mittens.

14. Head mostly, because a body in generally covered with clothing. Honestly I'd be more interested in hands over a body, though boobs are a consideration as you have to consider how clothes drape/sizing of bust when getting stuff.

15. As I really like centaurs and find them hard to resist, I tend to be more flexible when it comes to the head.

16. the head :) because I always think I can search for the right "hybrid" bodies.
      But it will need a lot of research and trials though ^^

17. Both are important to me.

I have two bodies here waiting for their heads to be hybrids. The most important to me is actually the character a doll will have. If I see a body that fits the character but I still have not chosen a head for it, I'd still get the body. Because, in my opinion, bodies have and portray personalities too.

Now the head is the character itself. The face is extremely important. I'm super picky so if I have decided I want a head for a certain character, it's because the head is true to said character.

I have many dolls in my wishlist but only a few of them listed in my profile because I can't afford that many and I like to keep it real, but all 3 of them are going to be hybrids.

18. At the end of the day, the head and body are both important to me. The head is the main “WOW" factor for me (since I am mainly going to stare at the face and not the elbow or something), and the body helps give the whole doll a complete look. I would say I look for a nice head sculpt first and then find an appropriate body for it once I decide on the character for that doll. I am spending money on both the head and body, so I would like for them to both look nice. :3nodding:

19. A week ago I would've said head, now that I'm looking at dolls to shell two very important characters, I'm finding the bodies are what is making it the most difficult to find perfect dolls to the point where I've started looking in sizes I don't even collect in hopes of finding just the right combo of head and body.

20. I usually go with head first, but bodies end up being a consideration for me as well. It's mostly to get the heights right for what I plan them to be though, since in my art style their bodies are exaggerated in ways that don't exactly have the right bodies for them. And in one character's case, it's also to get a more "inhuman" look for him with a Doll Chateau body with extra joints.

Tags: