1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What's more important, the HEAD, BODY, or BOTH?

Mar 13, 2017

1. For me the head is more important. I can order body from other companies. Some companies offer bodies with skin color of other doll companies. My favorite body is Volk's body, but they are expensive and hard to buy anyway.

2. I would say both. While heads are probably a lot more important to me as a whole, a head isn't much without it's body. I am still relatively new to the hobby, but I don't feel like I would have too much of an issue combining different bodies if I felt it suited the doll as a whole. But seeing as how I've been looking at a lot of dolls lately, I am probably going to more often than not keep a head and body within the same company unless I feel the doll would benefit from a different body. :D

3. I like the head... the body takes up space...

4. Both! I'm a sucker for beautiful faceups and abs. Having thigh joints is also important for me and i learnt that the hard way :atremblin

5. For me its definitely the head. I shell a lot of OCs so its important that their faces look accurate to their characters. I do prefer a body that can pose well though and I will not buy a body if it has huge breasts.

6. Head definately, the face is the only thing that I base my buying on.
      I'm relatively new to the hobby still, and only own two dolls so I'm still learning what type of bodies I like, other than the bigger the bust the better.
      I'm also terrified off even the thought of hybriding:o

7. Both are important to me, I need to love the face because that is where most of the character is, but I also really like playing with and posing my dolls, so they have to be good at that too or I get frustrated with them.

8. Both. The head is what lures me in, but I have a list of like 20 things that make the body a deal breaker. After many years and holding many dolls, I'm super picky on stylization and jointing mechanisms. Hybriding feels like more effort to me than it's worth so I just cross out any head sculpts that I dislike the body of.

9. For me—both.

My crew is very character-centric, so having just the right head sculpt is top priority.

However, they also need the right body to match the character. Each OC/existing character requires a specific body type, which leads me to be picky about the body's sculpting. Beyond aesthetics, there's poseability. The body needs to be able to achieve a certain level of poseability—a higher range for some OCs.

If either of the two is an ill fit, it throws off the balance. In order to maintain character harmony, all the components need to just right.:3nodding::kitty2

10. I have found that it is both because...I have heads that I adore, but without a body....they aren't a doll... :sweat

Weirdly in the instances that I found myself with a body and no head for it at the time, I still found ways to take photos of the body using other items for the head (such as flowers), but I have not had as much luck doing things with just the heads when no body matches them. So maybe I even lean toward the body as first! :abambi:

11. 100% the head! The body is also important, but to me it's not completely necessary as I find the heads the prettiest, blank or painted.

12. Head is the priority. I don't have large room to store many bodies, so some of my dolls share same body.

13. Both. Head is usually a priority for a new doll, but I'm a little picky about body aesthetic. And I'm like @Lady Ravenswood , a head without a body is not a doll :sweat

14. The head and face are most important to me. When I look at a doll, that’s what I always see first. If a doll had a beautiful face but a “meh” body that poses like crap, I can still make it work. As long as they can sit on my shelf, it’s good enough for me.

if a doll has gorgeous body and a very generic or just ugly face, then they probably aren’t even on my radar, because I’m not interested enough to look twice.

I don’t do floating heads anymore though. I had like over 30 at one point, and it was stressing me out so much, so I sold them all, and refuse to have another again. If I order just a head from an artist, I’m ordering a body somewhere else at the same time, so I don’t fall into that bad habit again.

15. First view is face than body

But if the face don't fit with body, it doesn't work for me. (for example a very young face on a body with very hard muscles)
      Both should be fit together very well for a nice combination ;)

Most times the body wears clothes, so you can't see the muscles, but you know that here are some XD

16. I’ve always been utterly fascinated by faces, so of course that is what draws me to a doll. That’s where I’ll recognize my character, and their personality will begin to “speak to me”. I’m pretty nonchalant about bodies, and can pretty much make do with whatever they come with as long as it’s of good quality. The only thing I’m really fussy about is that I prefer the body and head to be from the same company, so I naturally choose to order complete dolls. Of course there are always exceptions to that general rule, when you stumble upon a perfect head being sold without a body and you just have to wing it. Since I don’t do floating heads at all, I’ll work very hard to come up a body solution as soon as possible to make them a complete doll. This has only happened a few times in my collection…two heads that were only offered by their artists as heads, and a Dollzone Star whose original partial and skeletal body simply would not work for my character. Fortunately I was able to find excellent body solutions for them all fairly quickly to avoid the uncomfortable angst I experience from owning floating heads.

#176 PoeticSoul, Apr 27, 2022
      Last edited: Apr 28, 2022
    17. As it turns out I think Had is most important to me, bodies can be easily switched out and modded-- and while I guess you could say the same or heads I feel like the head part is the one that--- now hold on with me here bc this is going to make like 0 sense. I think its about they eyes since-- while technically untrue-- are the windows to the "soul".

18. They're both pretty important but I think I have to go with the head. That's the most noticeable part of a doll, the center of its personality and look. That being said, a great doll head on a bad body is really frustrating.

19. I usually focus on the head/face sculpt since most of the time I'm looking to shell my original characters. Since many companies offer the same body types without much variety, which is a different discussion enturely, the body is kind of an afterthought unless it doesn't fit my character. I also don't really play with or take my dolls out much where posing is super important, so that is a factor too. One of the only things that bothers me is when a body has awkward measurements. By that I mean when they have several measurements that are one or two cm off from the standard measurements of their size range. It can make finding clothes that fit harder!

That being said, there have been plenty of sculpts from companies with bulkier bodies (Iplehouse, SOOM Mega Gem or Idealian, etc.) where I really wish they had other body options, and from there I might consider a hybrid. But overall, face definitely comes first and is the most important!

20. I agree with most so far, who have said the head is the main thing. I figure, the body is going to be covered with clothing.
      Most of my dolls have the bodies they came with, so it isn't much of an issue. I do have 3 hybrids, but with one of them I am waiting for the company body he was intended to be on. What matters to me with a body, is proportion and of course skin tone. The body has to look proportionately correct for the head.

Tags: