1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What's Your Doll Style?

Oct 30, 2017

1. I like realistic and semi-realistic human sculpts in modern casual clothing. My dolls wear styles from grunge to hipster to hiphop to punk to goth to anything in between, but I've never been into fantasy, formal or historical wear. Unless they're tinies. Then I really like pet and fantasy creature dolls.

2. That's a great, wide range of styles, you must have a closet full of doll clothes lol XD

3. I do! Sometimes I think I love the clothes and accessories shopping more than buying the dolls!

4. I feel you on that! I think one of those tiny low riding fashion backpacks might be nice but I haven't seen one for dolls around yet. I'd love a messenger bag and oxford shoes for my girl though! I think I'd be over the moon if I could ever find those for her.

5. I can totally understand that though, I've already discovered the joys of making the clothes! XD I just need to make more patterns now lol XD

I'd love a pair of leather ankle boots and a hiker's camping backpack! XD I have NO idea how to make those lol, I'm still addicted to making clothing in general! XD

#25 CuteyCreations, Oct 31, 2017
      Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2017
    6. I don't find I have a problem with paperclay sticking. I use Creative Paperclay. I tried LaDoll but didn't like it. And yes, my bedroom is full of arts and craft stuff too! The stuff I don't want to put in the shed because I don't want spiders on it, or that's temperature sensitive. XD I love all sorts of crafts but BJD stuff seems to have taken over in the past few years and I really want my own, entirely self made, resin doll.

7. The majority of my dolls are children, with natural face-ups and I prefer smiling sculpts where possible, or neutral ones. I don't like expressive eyebrows - I think they're too restrictive. Most of my SD gang are dressed like they've escaped from a Victorian or Edwardian nursery.

Teddy

8. I’m really in love with dolls that have realistic makeup, yet it’s vary outgoing. For example, a doll with bright purple lipstick or hot pink eyeshadow.I perfer adult dolls in all sizes, but I also really like fantasy type chibi dolls!! I love alternative fashion for my dolls

9. It's hard to say... I feel like my own dolls kind of run the gambit from casual to more dressy. One doll has lots of dark magenta in her faceup but another is very pale and pastel. Then I have my dolls that are just very casual looking... I don't think I have any defined aesthetic, though some horror sculpts are a little too much for me (I remember seeing one that is just the doll from the head to the ribcage?) but some are really cool.

10. I'd have to say my style (or more so, aesthetic) would have to be semi-realistic, slightly older sculpts (think 20s-30s), with neutral to playful expressions. I tend to lean more towards sassy sculpts (a snide grin, playful expression), as well as more grim and dour sculpts. I'm a huge sucker for elf ears as well, although I do like normal ears too.:3nodding:

You could also say I'm drawn towards a more graphic novel/comic aesthetic, with a balance between realism and stylistic like in many DC/Marvel comic series. I prefer more realistic styled eyes, more on the narrow side than overly wide-eyed. I LOVE more ethnic sculpts as well, I have to admit. It makes them more unique than those anime-based sculpts out there all over the market.:love:love:love

Also, I lean more towards realism with faceups, and costume is dictated by each character. I run the gamut of styles really--except really cutesy, frilly, pastel colored, child-like styled stuff. I'm not a big fan of little kid style or Lolita, but open to most other stuff. I'm especially big on more gothic, dark and cool colored attire.

Also...CATS.:kitty2:kitty1 Realistic cats, anthropomorphic cats, anime-inspired cats, big wild cats, bjds masquerading in cat ears and a tail, or those hyper-realistic, multi-jointed cats....I'm a fan:D. Although I'm still rather picky about which ones I'll bring home with me, I'm a cat doll admirer, near and afar :3nodding:

11. For me my fave sculpts are those who looks more asian hahahha i just love those eyessss....

12. I have female dolls who for the most part are children or adolescents. The majority of them dress in historical, old fashioned, or stylized clothing.

13. I love dolls wearing any cutesy fashion, but I also like the concept of a throwback to the late 20th century, like the 70s, 80s and 90s. Think retro my little pony and the last unicorn. I like dark makeup too, but even more so I like pastels and neutral faceups.

14. I like too many different things to have one doll style. I love my Bory and my LM Jeremy for their big adorable faces and their soft eyes. But I also loved my RS Wu because he's so quirky and unique and looks like a real teen boy.
      In general I like two extremes, either the fairy kei and pastels that other artists do way better than me, or the hyper realistic, very human and flawed dolls. There's no in between.

15. Like some of the other posters, I like more realistic sculpts with natural faceups. I'm also a fan of freckles! As for body, I like sculpts that are either pretty realistically proportioned or those that are hyper-stylized with a good sense of exaggerating anatomy in a way that makes sense. For fashion, I prefer historical or fantasy styles made from more cotton-y cloths.

16. Sculpt style... it's funny, I PREFER mature sculpts, but that's not very reflected in my collection at all! (but I also prefer MSD, I haven't got a lot of room and I'm afraid of my back going out on me whenever I carry anything heavy... so an MSD I can tote around a con all day, but an SD not so much. And that does keep my crew on the smaller, cuter side) I guess my face and body tastes are just often at odds-- or at least face and size. I do like a body to be detailed nicely, and to look sort of soft-- I like even a slender or a more muscled body to still have places that look soft. (I like a little bit of a belly on any doll! Abs are nice, but I love a soft belly)

Faceup style... It depends on the doll/character! I love really glam faceups when I'm just looking, though.

And clothing style... I like so many different fashions, modern or period! But in terms of what I dress my crew in, I do mostly just relaxed casual separates-- some of my favorite things are leggings and geeky tee shirts.

17. My girl's style is medievalish and knightly. Make up.wise, she'd have to have a natural face up.

18. Large, male fantasy style dolls. But I have all kinds. I tend to love a HUGE variety of different kinds of styles.

I'm not as into young or child dolls in contemporary cute or teen fashions... but I do like that, too... Just not as much as all the rest!

19. I started in the BJD hobby with dolls from Dream of Doll, Luts and Dollmore. All stylized dolls, all up to pretty rescently! But things have changed in my hobby. I'm more into more realistic dolls now, like Iplehouse dolls. It's all about Iplehouse and IH hybrids these days.

My doll style is all over the place! It's because my dolls represent my past and present. I put a lot of who I am into some of my doll characters.The younger me was crazy about J-rock and Visual Kei. And Scene like fashion style. Even though I do not dress like a J-rocker or Scene like girl anymore, I still love to create that type of doll characters. I like dark characters. Demons and such!

Today I also base some of my dolls on my Therianthropy. And my newest doll, I haven't gotten him home yet but he'll be based on a gender fluid/ bigender/ transgender person. I kind of created this character he'll be as a coping mechanism. It's really though being bigender and transgender. I'll never transition but it's though... He'll represent someone I can't physically be myself. It's a sad story behind his character. But I also really love everything about him :aheartbea

And I love colorful and cute pastel dolls. But currently I only have 1 doll in that style.

There is one thing I wish more companies would do though. And that is creating body positive dolls in all shapes and ages. I'd really love to have a wrinkly grandpa and grandma. My doll children could really need some grandparents! And body imperfections. I'd really love to have some dolls that aren't like perfect super models. It irritates me that BJD companies only strive for flawless perfection :sigh

20. I'll be part of the (apparent) minority and say I prefer REALLY exaggerated, cartoony dolls. Strange body proportions, large heads, expressive faces with prominent features. Doll Chateau, DollZone and Bishounen house are some faves that come to mind. I just have a hard time connecting with dolls that are too realistic looking, especially in the "super perfect" way that most more realistic dolls end up looking...

I LOVE really goth/horror faceups, but I'm not good enough to actually do them yet. My faces tend to end up really graphic, with bold shapes and colors. As for clothes, though, simple and monochromatic. The doll itself feels like it should be the focus, so the clothes are pretty much just so they aren't sitting around naked... and contrast.